PDA

View Full Version : Life Aquatic was underrated. . . .

glen
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
huge wes anderson fan, but for some reason I was busy when Life aquatic came out, and actually just got around to seeign it due to mediocre reviews. The movie was, in fact, excellent. I imagine it will probably peak around the fifth time I watch it. I got it on netflix but plan to buy it soon. . . how did people not love this movie?

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how did people not love this movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it blew.

glen
06-13-2005, 01:22 PM
did you think rushmore and tenenbaums blew as well?

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rushmore > tanenbaums > aquatic

sfer
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
One of the charms of Rushmore and Bottle Rocket was that they were completely without irony and totally heartfelt, particularly if you were ever a nerdy sort of Max Fischer growing up. I just don't feel the same way about the last two.

Jett Rink
06-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey Glen I loved the movie too. Jeff Goldblum cracked me up the way he delivers the lines "Some crooked fuckers" and "I'm so pissed I could spit."

By the way if you are a huge Wes Anderson fan I assume you've seen Bottle Rocket. It is the best one by a wide margin. You didn't mention it so I'm just wondering if you saw it and what you thought.

glen
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
yeah I'vce seen bottle rocket, but I have to say it's clearly #4 out of the 4 movies so far. Don't get me wrong it was great, but the other 3 are far superior and smarter imo. . .

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah I'vce seen bottle rocket, but I have to say it's clearly #4 out of the 4 movies so far. Don't get me wrong it was great, but the other 3 are far superior and smarter imo. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly you're an idiot. someone please lock this thread as this has all been discussed intelligently in the past.

glen
06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
please post a link to the thread where it has been discussed, you ignorant crumbum. . .

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
please post a link to the thread where it has been discussed, you ignorant crumbum. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

use the search engine, asshat.

glen
06-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Because it blew. "

Jake, this thread is about the movie Life Aquatic, not your mom. . . .

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

"Because it blew. "

Jake, this thread is about the movie Life Aquatic, not your mom. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That's both hilarious and original! Don't get pissy with me just because you're either too lazy or too stupid to use the search function.

YourFoxyGrandma
06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rushmore > tanenbaums > aquatic

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right, you know.

nothumb
06-13-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the charms of Rushmore and Bottle Rocket was that they were completely without irony and totally heartfelt, particularly if you were ever a nerdy sort of Max Fischer growing up. I just don't feel the same way about the last two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I didn't think there was too much irony in Aquatic. What are you specifically referring to? I thought it had a good bit of heart.

I haven't seen Rushmore in a while but I really liked Bottle Rocket and Tenenbaums. It would be hard for me to rank them.

NT

glen
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
"clearly you're an idiot. someone please lock this thread as this has all been discussed intelligently in the past."

maybe not original, but still funny obv. calling people idiots is original and way more funny though. . .

glen
06-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Sure, I'll buy that. But do you think Bottlerocket is better than any of these 3? If not, according to JaketheMelvin, you are clearly an idiot!

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
according to JaketheMelvin, you are clearly an idiot!

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed at this, although I'm not completely sure why. Nice! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.R.
06-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I kinda thought the last two, in part, exemplified what happens to those fisheresque types after the voyage of life wrecked havok on their idealistic and simplistic dreams and how, even after their trials and tribulations and loss of innocence (as fischer experiences so wonderfully- the gradual self-awareness of unfolding reality that permeated fischer's quixotic endeavors), their mischevious childhood imagination still persisted, proving life still has wonder and beauty in the face of so much harsh reality, but doing so in a light-hearted, non heavy handed manner atypical of films of this type.

Will much more self-indulgent and flat and uncompelling than his others, I found appeal (empathy with steve z?) in life aquatic's silly affirmation that a part of us should never grow up- that magnetic wes anderson theme - the celebration of imagination and curiosity and zest for life that is explored through those that have the courage to maintain it when those days have supposedly long since passed them by, silly and ironic or even absurd as they might appear to us on the screen (and even to the characters themselves). he really is a master at exploiting a young adult's romantic reminisence with childhood.

CourtesyFlush
06-13-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda thought the last two, in part, exemplified what happens to those fisheresque types after the voyage of life wrecked havok on their idealistic and simplistic dreams and how, even after their trials and tribulations and loss of innocence (as fischer experiences so wonderfully- the gradual self-awareness of unfolding reality that permeated fischer's quixotic endeavors), their mischevious childhood imagination still persisted, proving life still has wonder and beauty in the face of so much harsh reality, but doing so in a light-hearted, non heavy handed manner atypical of films of this type.

Will much more self-indulgent and flat and uncompelling than his others, I found appeal (empathy with steve z?) in life aquatic's silly affirmation that a part of us should never grow up- that magnetic wes anderson theme - the celebration of imagination and curiosity and zest for life that is explored through those that have the courage to maintain it when those days have supposedly long since passed them by, silly and ironic or even absurd as they might appear to us on the screen (and even to the characters themselves). he really is a master at exploiting a young adult's romantic reminisence with childhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

miajag81
06-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Eh, I love Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums but Life Aquatic just didn't really do it for me. Maybe it will grow on me after I see it again.