PDA

View Full Version : Close decision?

PokerPrince
01-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Great 10/20 game at local club. Usually a very aggressive game but the a few of the local wildmen have yet to arrive so the game is rather passive. Five limpers to me on the button and I hold Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and call. Blinds call and we see the flop 8 handed for a single small bet each.

Flop- 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

It's checked all the way around.

Turn- 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB bets out, BB raises, UTG coldcalls $40 and it's folded around to me. I felt there was a good chance I could be drawing dead on my flush draw and mucked my hand after some thought. I am fully aware that results don't matter and I would still be posting this if the /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif didn't arrive on the end to give me the pot. With a pair on the board and a raise coldcaller on the turn I truly felt that my chances of drawing to the best hand were nearly impossible. There was also JUST enough to warrant a call odds-wise in the pot(excluding implied odds). Was my fold correct? Was not betting out on the flop incorrect? Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

PokerPrince

Martin Aigner
01-12-2003, 10:10 AM
You did the right thing. Not even a close decission for just the reasons you mentioned.

No reason to bet this hand on the flop in a 8handed pot.

Good luck

Maritn Aigner

PokerPrince
01-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the response Martin. I've been really trying to stay out of trap hands like this where the possibility of me drawing dead is high. If I instead held the AX /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif do you think that would warrant a call?

PokerPrince

astroglide
01-12-2003, 03:41 PM
while i still think a strong case can be made for calling w/q9x (the queen and the nine could actually be an out) on a board like this, i would do it with axs unless i had some ridiculous read.

unless your opponents are entering with 35 or 73, they probably don't have a full house. if there was an ace out there i'd be scared of a3s (without the flush draw). if i had axs with the draw, that's one less ace in the deck to fall for a3s, and the best flush draw.

if somebody has 55 or 77 in that situation, then god bless them.

bmw
01-13-2003, 03:12 AM
I think I would bet the flop. One reason is you could buy the pot. Another reason would be to push out a hand like qj or a9 and buy yourself a few more outs. Also, it will give you some info depending on what the other players do.

If played how you played it, I would also fold on the turn.

Martin Aigner
01-13-2003, 12:58 PM
I think I would hace called with Ax, eps. if the x was T or higher, since it might give me some more outs.

GL

Martin Aigner