PDA

View Full Version : $55s - AK Flop Decision

Unarmed
06-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Pretty basic hand... no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t965)
UTG+1 (t1015)
MP1 (t1460)
MP2 (t910)
CO (t905)
Hero (t975)
SB (t2840)
BB (t930)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, SB calls t35, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t135) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t120</font>, Hero reraises or smooth calls?

smcannon
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Reraising.

Scuba Chuck
06-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I think that either line is fine. If you think that just smooth calling, and then jamming ur chips on the turn is the most likely way to get allin with villains chip along for the ride is the best, then it doesn't matter. Beware the QJ hand tho. Furthermore, QJ may be less likely to call any bets on the turn if he doesn't improve with only one card left to go.

IMO, reraising on the flop is the best.

Lady Dont Tekno
06-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah it doesn't really matter which you choose if you have no reads. I've scored some nice pots in the past w/ the smooth call and turn jam but I think in this case, with no reads, a simple reraise works. Pray that he has a big ace.

-LDT

Moonsugar
06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Depends on image, read etc. but as a default I like calling. I like calling so that he gets 1 more chance to bluff, if he is bluffing. Most people don't try for 2 checkraises in a row. If he isn't bluffing alot of chips are gonna get into this pot before its over.

Unarmed
06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on image, read etc. but as a default I like calling. I like calling so that he gets 1 more chance to bluff, if he is bluffing. Most people don't try for 2 checkraises in a row. If he isn't bluffing alot of chips are gonna get into this pot before its over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If I raise the bluff and mid-PP are running. If I call I can perhaps coax a crying call from the mid-PP or Kx on the turn. I don't think this guy will fire another round with nothing. If he has an ace all the money is going in no matter what I do.

I like raising if I'm out of position, but in this case calling is correct so I can get some value from my positional advantage instead of pissing it away with a flop raise. It also has clear benefits the odd time he has 44.

If I smooth call this I think I have to bet the turn when checked to, but I'd accept arguments for checking behind on a blank to induce a bluff on the river. Personally. that line strikes me as a bit too fancy for the $55s.

Moonsugar
06-13-2005, 12:13 PM
If he checks the turn your hand is good like 98% and a check behind is warranted for a guy who will bluff again once you show weakness, especially if he will fold the turn for a bet (obviously).

I have made a lot of chips this way, esp. in multitables.

45suited
06-13-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like raising if I'm out of position, but in this case calling is correct so I can get some value from my positional advantage instead of pissing it away with a flop raise. It also has clear benefits the odd time he has 44 .

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the smooth call, but does it really matter if he has 44? Are you saying that if the turn is a blank and he pushes, you're folding? I find that hard to believe. If he has 44, all the money is going in either way IMO.

Newt_Buggs
06-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I think that this is a fairly easy call. The chance that he is checkraising with a gutshot and then catches his 8% to hit on the turn is so small its irrelevant. Your opponents is probably drawing to a runner runner (&lt;1% chance of winning) and just calling will usually get more action out of Ax.

curtains
06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I would lean towards calling here.

Unarmed
06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
A typical opponent with 44 is very capable of playing it so poorly that he doesn't get his entire stack in, even given my holding. It won't happen that often though, and you're right, I could have just left that point out, its nearly irrelevant here.

Bigwig
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I would smooth call.

Jay36489
06-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Personally, I smooth call here becuase I have position. There are no possible big draws, so he has a made hand now. You are either ahead or behind and that is unlikely to change. A reraise here gives away your hand too much. If he checks the turn I may actually give him one more chance to bluff on the river, but that heavily depends on the turn card and read. If he makes a pot size bet on the turn I probably call again becuase he isnt going away and this is going to be all in on the river.

wuwei
06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
With position, I smooth call and pop the turn when he leads.