PDA

View Full Version : prime Tyson vs. prime Ali

nrinker
06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Ali runs around the ring like a little bitch for 6 rounds, then gets appropriately punished by Tyson.

Ali down in 7.

Jack of Arcades
06-13-2005, 09:14 AM
We haven't talked about this before or anything (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1810384)

IQ89
06-13-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ali down in 7

[/ QUOTE ]

Now what I would find interesting is the rematch.

Would Ali be able to find a way to reclaim the title after experiencing such a humiliating defeat? I don't think so, but I'd pay a grand for a decent seat to watch it.

-Regards

P.S. People will often argue that Ali would win because of his intelligence; siting his ability to overcome George Foreman (who really seemed unbeatable by many at the time). The difference is that Foreman wasn't a boxer at all. He was discovered during a barroom brawl. Tyson on the other hand was a real student of the game due to the late great trainer Cus D'Amato. I've listened to Tyson on a few occasions refer to boxing greats like Sugar Ray Robinson, and how he would watch old films of the former greats over and over. Bottom line: Tyson never would have fallen for some ploy like the Rope-a-Dope, especially if Cus D'Amato could be there in Tyson's corner during this theoretical fight & rematch.

tinhat
06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ali runs around the ring like a little bitch for 6 rounds, then gets appropriately punished by Tyson.

Ali down in 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you've never actually seen Ali fight except for clips on ESPN.

Ali fought some vicious fighters that would make Tyson cry for his mommy - Liston, Norton, Foreman. Tyson never even came close to fighting somebody as fearsome as any of those three (or a great boxer like Frazier for that matter).

Ali had remarkable defensive skills. And Ali could take a real pounding (broken jaw early in the Norton fight; a 15-round fight to near-death against Frazier, etc.). What kind of adversity did Tyson ever face? Oh, that's right. He got befuddled by Holyfield. So he bit his ear off.

Although Tyson had far better skills than Foreman ever did I see the fight going to same way - Ali would take advantage of Tyson's mental weakness by talking him into losing during the fight. Using his vastly superior defensive skills he'd watch Tyson wear himself out by the middle rounds Tyson had never seen before and then lay him out. Ali would've played Tyson like a cheap fiddle.

No hesitation, no doubt, no contest - Ali. Tyson would be exhausted, bewildered and on his back in 8 or 9.

stabn
06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Please just shoot me next time instead of creating another boxing thread.

stabn
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Tyson on the other hand was a real student of the game

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

utmt40
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Tyson hands down.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
More than a little ridiculous.

McGahee
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
If it wasn't for Joe Namath, Ali would be the most overrated athlete in the history of sports.

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ali down in 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be my last arguement about sports on 2+2. I haven't read the replies, but this is just ridiculous. Ali fought and beat the toughest fighters the heavyweight division has seen and beat them. He fought guys bigger than mike, faster than mike ,more disciplined than mike and guys that could hit just as hard if not harder than mike.

Tyson has never really beaten anybody that would be considered a great fighter. He lost to Bowe, Douglas, Holyfield and Lewis in pathetic fashion.

This isn't even close in my book.

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ali would take advantage of Tyson's mental weakness by talking him into losing during the fight

[/ QUOTE ]

This alone is almost enough to ensure Ali's victory.

bernie
06-13-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Tyson on the other hand was a real student of the game

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, early in his career, he was.
Much more-so than Foreman ever was.

b

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, early in his career, he was.
Much more-so than Foreman ever was.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right Bernie. Tyson, early in his career, was much more of a student than George. However, as hard as Tyson pucnhes, many people will say that Foreman could hit harder. I once heard an ex-champ--i forget who--say that GF could knock someone out with an open glove!

bernie
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
In one of the many threads on this, I put some results from a sim i ran that spanned if they fought 10k times.

b

bernie
06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
What do you think micheal spinks says about Tyson? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

b

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think micheal spinks says about Tyson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he speak english?