PDA

View Full Version : Help me define my "Sit & Go Challenge"

fatdave
06-13-2005, 04:30 AM
I feel that a fellow poker player is playing Party Sit N Go's that are above his skill level. They are well within his bankroll (such to the pointing that tilting off $3000 in $200 SNGs in one day doesn't affect him financially), however I think they may be above his skill level. I think he might have a 20% ITM percentage.

Anyway, I'm thinking about setting up this little challenge that may help him define his skill level in regards to SNGs. I'm thinking this:

We (I would do it too, to make it sporting) would start at the $10+1 Party SNGs, play a certain number, and then move to the next level, play a certain number, etc...

My concern is with the rules and whatnot:

1) Presumably we would need to play a good amount of games at a certain level before our ITM% could be statistically accurate. How high does this number need to be? 10, 50, 100?

2) What should the ITM% be? Does this % change based on the buy-in level (11 vs 22 vs 33, etc)?

3) Presumably to avoid tilt & fatigue, we should only play a certain # of games per day... what's a good number? I realize your playing ability could change whether you are winning or losing... but I think to be statistically fair, a set number should be chosen.

4) Is this a valid way of testing SNG skill level?

Any other suggestions or comments?

brimstone1
06-13-2005, 04:58 AM
1) Presumably we would need to play a good amount of games at a certain level before our ITM% could be statistically accurate. How high does this number need to be? 10, 50, 100?

300-500? even more? to be "accurate," so to speak.

2) What should the ITM% be? Does this % change based on the buy-in level (11 vs 22 vs 33, etc)?

You're going to get flamed for this question.
(hint: search)

3) Presumably to avoid tilt & fatigue, we should only play a certain # of games per day... what's a good number? I realize your playing ability could change whether you are winning or losing... but I think to be statistically fair, a set number should be chosen.

Depends on you, and you alone.
People play 12-16 tables at a time, presumably continously, for a total of 100 or so every day, maybe more... some play less.

I, on the other hand, can't.

You guys should choose.

no.

Myst
06-13-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People play 12-16 tables at a time, presumably continously, for a total of 100 or so every day, maybe more...

[/ QUOTE ]

The only person who I know plays 12 tables at a time is Raptor... I dont know of anybody who does 16.

Phill S
06-13-2005, 06:32 AM
Zeejustin used to do 12 at a time didnt he before moving back to limit?

Phill

mosdef
06-13-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

300-500? even more? to be "accurate," so to speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think so. the variance of ITM is MUCH smaller than the variance of ROI. i think that you are thinking of the number of SNGs required for credible ROI data.

jaym96822
06-13-2005, 06:59 AM
But ROI is MUCH more important than ITM. In fact, I would argue that ITM is meaningless and ROI is the only important % in SnG tourneys.

mosdef
06-13-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But ROI is MUCH more important than ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

no argument here. i'm just saying that you don't need 300-500 SNGs to get a good feel for ITM, you can do so with less data than that.

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I would argue that ITM is meaningless and ROI is the only important % in SnG tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

that depends on the individual's goals and preferences. higher ROIs usually come with larger swings in performance, and a sufficiently risk-averse person may prefer a lower ROI with less variance.

Scuba Chuck
06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zeejustin used to do 12 at a time didnt he before moving back to limit?

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving back? Isn't he just trying to learn (before he moves back?)

Scuba
PS - this post is the blind leading the blind.

PokerCat69
06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
If it were me I would play 300 SnG per level. ROI needs to be 12%+ to advance to the next level. Since I play 4 at a time, 20-28 is the max number of games to play each day. When you reach the 55s, I would settle for a 10% ROI, and 8% at 109 & higher.
Your friend will reach the 215's with a 1800 SNGs under his belt.

Slim Pickens
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) ~ITM confidence intervals (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=194 0596&fpart=&PHPSESSID=): pick your favorite confidence level

2) For the purpose of this contest it seems like you can pick any number in the 33-40% range.

3) I'd suggest not more than 4 sets per day of however many tables at a time you decide to play.

4) not really