PDA

View Full Version : What the pro's don't want you to know

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 02:38 AM
The key to winning at poker is simple. You will win at poker in the long run only if you're playing poker for the right reason. Yes, there is only 1 "correct" reason to play poker. When people talk about their reasons for playing it's always the same "For fun" "For extra money" "To support myself and family". But these are not valid reasons. You can do other stuff to have fun or make extra money. The only reason you should play poker is to get better at poker. If you love poker and approach it with that mindset, you will study hard and think deeply about the game, in turn becoming a solid and intelligent player.

"It ain't easy bein' greazy"

mantasm
06-13-2005, 02:41 AM
wrong

henrikrh
06-13-2005, 02:47 AM
Disagree, there are a million and one factors that can make you a better or worse player, purpose is but a small part. Many things are easily more vital... patience, awareness, pattern detection, mathematical understanding etc.

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 02:54 AM
Yes, but people can improve their patience, awareness, pattern detection, mathematical understanding by studying the game on and off the table given enough time. These are basic human competencies. But, they have to be aware of these things and want to get better.

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 02:57 AM
For example, your study of the game may require you to read a psychology book.

mantasm
06-13-2005, 02:59 AM
to say that you can only win long run if the only reason you are playing is to get better at poker is totally incorrect.

manpower
06-13-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason you should play poker is to get better at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno man, you're logic reminds me of swiss cheese.

What if I'm some kid who can beat the game for $80 an hour. That's a really good reason to play the game besides, "getting better at poker". I call it, "Making money".

bicyclekick
06-13-2005, 03:02 AM
this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read.

GuyOnTilt
06-13-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but people can improve their patience, awareness, pattern detection, mathematical understanding by studying the game on and off the table given enough time. These are basic human competencies. But, they have to be aware of these things and want to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could continue this line of thought several more levels. What makes you proclaim the desire to improve as the ending point?

PS. This is a dumb thread.

GoT

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Point is you should be doing everything in your power to improve your game.

utmt40
06-13-2005, 03:08 AM
POOP /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mmbt0ne
06-13-2005, 03:22 AM
"What the pro's don't want you to know"

How to properly use apostrophes?

MicroBob
06-13-2005, 03:23 AM
While I do think he's exaggerated the importance of his point I think there is SOME validity there.

Somewhere I remember reading something about having an interest in thinking about poker even when you are away from the table (day-dreaming about a certain poker situation while driving or something).
Was it in one of Mason's poker-essays perhaps?
Something about having a real curiosity about the game...really enjoying the complexities fo the game...etc etc.

but obviously if you are good enough to make $80/hour and don't really give two hoots about getting much better you will probably continue to be able to make that much money anyway.
Although....if you don't have the interest in the game (or improving) then you will be more susceptible to burn-out as well I imagine.

The original post was a bit over the top....but it's not ENTIRELY idiotic imo.

bicyclekick
06-13-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Point is you should be doing everything in your power to improve your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If making the most money is your goal, perhaps.

Spaded
06-13-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason you should play poker is to get better at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno man, you're logic reminds me of swiss cheese.

What if I'm some kid who can beat the game for $80 an hour. That's a really good reason to play the game besides, "getting better at poker". I call it, "Making money".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what the original poster is saying is that you should always be trying to improve your game. Don't be content with $80 an hour, or even with $400 an hour or more, but keep playing to get better at it. If at some point you reach the playing level where you can easily support yourself while playing to get better, then go pro and get even better even faster, but never stop trying to get better!

2+2 wannabe
06-13-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO

Mr. Joe Greasy, you have changed my life - I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks Bob, appreciate the support (kinda)... Truth be told I was blazed out of my mind last night when I wrote that and I found myself in a philosophical mood. Gotta lay off the green while posting if I expect people on here to respect my opinions instead of making snide remarks about apostrophes or how dumb they think I am. Tell me you disagree with what I'm saying, tell me my logic is wack, but if you need to insult me take a look in the mirror and figure out what's wrong with that picture before you type something cool and tough for all the 2+2ers to read.

Michael Davis
06-13-2005, 11:39 AM
The only reason to have sex with men is to get better at having sex with men.

-Michael

odellthurman
06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Why isn't it easy being greazy?

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
There's lots of reasons. Subscribe to my newsletter if you really want to know. There's already some other dude in this post who's expressed interest in the newsletter.

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Michael.. Hmm that's a weird name for a girl.

phish
06-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I think the best reason to play poker is to get away from the wife and kids.

benfranklin
06-13-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason you should play poker is to get better at poker so you can win more money! .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

blaze666
06-13-2005, 12:23 PM
thanks for the advice.

odellthurman
06-13-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's lots of reasons. Subscribe to my newsletter if you really want to know. There's already some other dude in this post who's expressed interest in the newsletter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please send me info on a newsletter subscription. I am interested. But - could I get a quick answer to one other question - What is the distinction between bein' greazy and being greasy?

Mathemagician
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the pro's don't want you to know

[/ QUOTE ]
They don't want you to know that apostrophe 's' indicates possession not plurality.

[ QUOTE ]
Subscribe to my newsletter if you really want to know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it called "Common Gramatical Errors Monthly"?

M

pokerstudAA
06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Poker is a game of money. The goal of the game is to win money. The way to win the money at poker is to continuously work to improve your game.

BottlesOf
06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Apparently it IS easy being retarded.

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
1) Being greazy is a lot cooler and tougher than being greasy.

2) I would never want to be greasy, that's disgusting

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 04:15 PM
There's 2 Ms in grammatical.

Somekid
06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
this post should've been written in crayon. I'm assuming your rough draft was.

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 05:56 PM
No, it was written in bacon grease.

"It ain't east bein' greazy"

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There <font color="red">ARE? </font>

-ZEN

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 06:12 PM
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&amp;va=grammatical

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 06:23 PM
You just made my post even funnier...!

There's = There is
You cannot say "there is two..."
You must say "there ARE two..."

I are available to proofreeed you're noowslehter...

-ZEN

slupo
06-13-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, you should use an apostrophe to denote plural single letters. So it should be:

There are 2 m's in grammatical.

Nice try though.

Hey this is fun!

goodguy_1
06-13-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read

[/ QUOTE ]

EStreet20
06-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Wow,
This guy replied to his own first post 10 times. Amazing...

Anyway, I say we cut him a little break, even though this was a completely dumb post, I think the OP simply lurked here for a while and is interested in learning the game. Thus, this post is merely an attempt to sound smart to the established players/posters here by appealing to those who discuss focusing on playing correctly rather than results, something that everyone (with a brain) here emphasizes.

Of course he took a wrong turn saying that improving is the "reason" to play rather than making extra money/earning a living etc. but his intention was merely to "get in with the guys" (and girls to any female posters that have taken my money out there). So I say welcome to the forums Grease, but you've got to admit your statement is completely wrong/idiotic, because like every other sane person here I find no intrinsic rewards in being able to tell people "I'm a better poker player than you." If that gets you off, seek help. If not then admit that the reason to play is to make money (or have fun or whatever) and that improving is simply a means to that end.

Good luck, (We were all noobs once guys)

Matt

Somekid
06-13-2005, 06:37 PM
I think the hostility is rooted in the fact that he has revealed exactly what the pros don't want us to know.

SmackinYaUp
06-13-2005, 06:55 PM
If I didn't know better, and this was the first thread I ever read I would've thought 2+2 was full of a bunch of assholes. Oh wait, it is!

Mathemagician
06-13-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Sometimes it's just too easy...

M

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Sometimes it's just too easy...

M

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like between you and me we will police all the
grammar, usage and spelling on these forums /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(PS notice the objective use of "me")

-ZEN

willthethrill
06-13-2005, 07:53 PM
not a good point

sinfulslick18
06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
i did it for "love" love of not getting arrestted.. no seriously tho there are more factors to it.

-sinful

Dan Mezick
06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
OK...still, it's ironic what GuyOn lists for 'Occupation' in his profile.

Check it out.

Certainly poker provides opportunities in mastery

Justin A
06-13-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I didn't know better, and this was the first thread I ever read I would've thought 2+2 was full of a bunch of assholes. Oh wait, it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up.

Dan Mezick
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
It's not really that stupid.

It's well understood that folks who believe they have all the answers are pretty much done learning. And typically, not ready for the crisis of epic proportions that comes when their model of how things work suddenly doesnt work anymore.

I like what the guy is saying. He's talking about mastery.

he needs to get a few more posts in.

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
http://dailyramblings.com/images/preschoice6.jpg

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
LOL

ok, don't quite get the rabbit with a pancake on its head....!

-ZEN

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Don't care about grammar, don't care about spelling. Don't think it's cool to care about peoples' mistakes or dumb ideas. Just care about the cards. Still got a problem? I'm 6'2" 270 and I can crush your skull with my bare hands.. I'm at the Taj every weekend come find me and we'll talk about my stupid post. END OF THREAD.

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dont' care about gramer, d'ont care about speling. Don't think it' cool to care about peoples' mistakes or dumb idea's. Just care about the card's. Still got a problem? I'm 4'1" 110 soaking wet and you can crush my skull with you're bare hands'.. Im' at the Taj every weakand com find me and weall make more stupid post's. END OF THREAD.

"It ain't hard bein' a tard"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

-ZEN

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 10:28 PM
You're more queer than a $2 chip.

MaxPower
06-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Joe,

You are the most promising new poster since johnnyhearts and the leisure boys.

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 10:41 PM
No idea who those people are.

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Seriously...is THAT the best you got?

I hope your poker is better than your wit!

I'd get into a wit battle with you, but you are unarmed, you see....

-ZEN

Joe Grease
06-13-2005, 10:52 PM
No cyberpoet over here. Much too straight for that.

jman220
06-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Alright, I give up. Stupid question I know, but what does "FYP" stand for.

poker-penguin
06-14-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I give up. I have no imagination and can't work out an obvious TLA

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

(which stands for Forget Your Pride - implying that the poster you are replying to has just said something he should not be proud of).

Blackjack
06-14-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"What the pro's don't want you to know"

How to properly use apostrophes?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the funniest avatar on 2+2