PDA

View Full Version : A summary of Gigabet's stack size thread

Matt R.
06-13-2005, 02:15 AM
I wanted to take a stab at this because I feel like I understand what Gigabet was getting at in his post, and I wanted to re-word and summarize it to see if others agree.

Basically, his point is that the EV of a decision as it applies to *future* hands is dependent upon the stack sizes of everyone at the table and stack depth relative to the blinds. If you can accurately estimate the future EV of a given hand, sometimes you can make slightly -chip EV plays and what would be calculated as -$EV plays in ICM calculations and still make them profitable. How can you estimate the future EV of a hand? Due to the minimum bet or raise getting larger as blind size increases, stack sizes can be thought of as multiples (or fractions) of a given meaningful "block" of chips. Anything smaller than this block is virtually meaningless to your long term $EV for the tournament, so you can use these extra chips (more than the 'block' size) to play very loosely with yet also threaten other people's entire stacks in the right situations. It follows that if you face a decision for a given amount of chips (should you call or make a bet/raise), you should not only think of the chips currently in the pot versus the pot odds you are getting. You should also consider the future power those chips in the pot will give you should you win, versus the amount of power you stand to lose should you lose the hand. This is dependent on how large those "block" sizes are relative to your stack size and the sizes of your opponents' stacks.

I think a hand that curtains recently posted illustrates this idea:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2619550&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

To use this hand as an example, first we need to look at the blinds -- 200/400. What is the smallest amount of chips you can have at this blind level and still be able to put pressure on other stacks (i.e., have some fold equity)? I would say that it is approximately 1400 chips in this case. If you have a stack of 1400, and raise all-in, you are laying the big blind precisely 2:1 on his call (typically anything less than this and most people believe BB should call with any two). So let's start our block size out at 1400. However, looking at everyone else's stack size, you see that no one has anything significanly above 1400 chips. Therefore, you can probably still put pressure on others and threaten their entire stack with less than 1400 chips. So you can probably lower the "block" size a bit. Since the blinds are so high, you probably can't really say 800 chips would be threatening to another player's stack (since 600 would already be in the pot for the blinds -- even though 800 is a big part of his stack, he'd often be correct to play with any decent cards since the pot's so large). I think a good estimate for a single "block" would be about 1200-1400 chips and certainly no less than 1000. 1200 chips is 3x the current big blind size and it is definitely enough to threaten everyone's tournament life except for acesneverlos.

So how does this affect curtains decision? He (hopefully) correctly read the BB in that he was tight enough to fold anything but the most premium hands. There is about t1350 in the pot after the all-in from the short stack. 1350 is around one "block" size. This signifies a significant chunk of chips -- enough to put pressure on most of the players at the table to bust out. If curtains wins this amount, he has these chips to "play around with". He can loosely raise and call with them, satisfied in knowing that he can knock someone out of the tournament with little risk to his own tournament life. If he loses, he is still in contention and is not crippled yet. So, as Gigabet put it, if he wins these chips, it is almost as if he has doubled up. However, if he LOSES this pot with his all-in re-raise from the SB, what are the results? He's putting in an extra 550 chips beyond what he has to after posting the SB. How valuable are these chips? Not very, given Curtains stack size. t550 is slightly larger than one big blind. Also, it is barely 1/3 the size of the "block" of chips that I defined earlier. An extra 550 chips isn't going to put much pressure on anyone without being just as threatening to curtains' stack. In short, those extra 550 chips aren't very important. Therefore, even if the EV of this particular hand may be negative, the future EV may very well be positive if curtains is good at using a big stack.

This is how I interpreted Gigabet's idea, and I hope it is relatively accurate.

PS -- I'm still not sure about the Q3 offsuit play /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

curtains
06-13-2005, 03:08 AM
Yeah somehow this makes sense. I just think of it a lot simpler....as in my hand is getting great pot odds against my opponents range, but if I lose the hand It's not the end of the world.

vinyard
06-13-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah somehow this makes sense. I just think of it a lot simpler....as in my hand is getting great pot odds against my opponents range, but if I lose the hand It's not the end of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am thinking similarly. In your hand (and I really wish you would have responded to my post in that thread) I think there is less risk with your push because it hurts your stack less, which is nothing more than having superior pot odds.

curtains
06-13-2005, 03:39 AM
Sorry I might have missed it... lemme go check.

Well yeah basically you are right, J4s is the nuts though you are forgetting that, the pot odds I'm getting against his range of hands make this CLEARLY +chip EV if I knew the BB would fold, and I suspect clearly +chip ev even if I know they will call like 10%. Also I'm very lucky so I have much better odds here than most people.

pergesu
06-13-2005, 05:53 AM
I think his call was based purely on pot odds. He even said as much...I'm just not sure how Gigabet's theory really applies here. It's a call that basically everyone would make because the odds are there.

I disagree that the extra 550 chips are worthless though. Perhaps at this very point, they don't provide much "bully factor," but the majority of your analysis was based on the EV of future hands. Well if 550 chips is just shy of 1.5 BB, don't those chips provide curtains a buffer, so he can survive an extra round of blinds while still being able to threaten other players' stacks?

Maybe I should write a post on the theory of offensive blocks vs defensive blocks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtains
06-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Well it might be somewhat relevant because if I had fewer chips I may have folded although obviously the chip EV of the situation doesn't change just because I have 600 fewer chips. It would bother me that I really have very little folding equity if I lose the hand, thus eliminating a lot of future +EV steal situations.

Matt R.
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think his call was based purely on pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this probably isn't the best example since the pot odds are so juicy -- I was trying to carry the idea over and apply it. But what curtains said below sums it up nicely. If he had fewer chips, he probably shouldn't be making this play because the extra 550 is really important to him while it's not in this case. The future value of those chips is much higher even though the current chip EV is exactly the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Well if 550 chips is just shy of 1.5 BB, don't those chips provide curtains a buffer, so he can survive an extra round of blinds while still being able to threaten other players' stacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly true, and I think it's one downside to using this theory. Basically, I think Gigabet feels that those extra chips to use as a "buffer" aren't as important as the chunk of chips he can use to bully. He stands to gain a lot more with those extra chips than he does by losing the extra amount he's putting in. It's hard to tell if this is true or not without knowing your opponents and how good you are with a bigger stack though.

Just for fun, I'll try to apply this to the Q3 offsuit play -- it's way more -chip EV than curtains' play so it may make his theory more clear. This may be way off, but there's no harm in trying.

Blinds are at 50/100. Two players are desperate, but still have some FE. Let's define a block size solely on the blinds then, as 300-400. A 300-400 unit of chips can easily be used to pressure whoever is in the blinds and is fairly significant to many players in the game. Gigabet is obviously in good shape here, with ~7 "blocks". In his original post, he also speaks of a line he envisions in which as long as he stays above this, he is in good shape relative to the field (this may be a bit off without re-reading the post, but we'll go with it). With the blinds/stacks as they are, I would say this would be around 1000-1200 chips (maybe a bit higher if the blinds are about to increase). Therefore he has approximately an extra 1K in chips he can gamble with and still be in okay shape. I think he was actively using this extra 1K in this situation to take a chance with. There's currently 760 in the pot, a lot of power with the blinds as they are (2 "blocks"). If he goes all-in, telumax may fold his hand, giving him the chance to pick the pot up for only an extra 310 chips (edit -- yeah yeah, he has to win vs. the all-in with Q3o too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). However, he probably realizes that there's a decent chance tolumax has a monster, and weighs this into his pot equity. However, even if his pot equity tells him that (including the chances he has a monster) it's -EV, he felt like he could stand to lose those extra 1K and still compete. He also felt like those extra 710 chips would allow him to play even more loosely and accumulate lots of chips in the future as people will be scared to bust (with little risk to him).

My problem with the play is that from raptor's thread, it appears that telumax will limp with monsters all the time in this spot. Given this, I think Gigabet may have misread him and not given the possibility that he has a hand like KK a high enough probability. However, if telumax will do this with a non-overpair hand a good amount of time too (maybe Gig knew this and took it into consideration), he felt like the play wasn't SO -chip EV that he could make the play for future value. So, I think there's a possibility that Gigabet misread telumax for a monster. It's also possible that HE knew it was possible, yet he weighed the risk and made the play anyway. There's just no way to know (unless he said so in the original thread, I didn't read it all /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Matt R.
06-13-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is very similar -- he certainly has an interesting way of envisioning this. I think he probably puts a lot more emphasis on how much the current size of the pot will allow him to be wild and crazy in the future at little risk to him. He probably takes the "will I be okay if I lose this pot?" idea a lot further too. It may be a huge portion of his chips (as in half his stack), but if he is still okay relative to the rest of the field he may make the play anyway. I'm not big on "image" plays, but since he does this constantly with a big stack it can -- and should -- really make the medium stacks wary of playing any pots with him.

curtains
06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
btw I believe my play is +Chip EV, thus making it a lot different from the Q3o play, which is almost clearly -Chip EV.

Matt R.
06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Right -- I think the only way to make it more similar would be to include a limper or something (or give the possibility that all-in has a monster a higher probability). I think (like you said) that you can still carry the idea over though by thinking of the chips in the pot versus the chips you stand to lose, and comparing how good of shape you will potentially be in after the hand. If you decrease your amount of chips, at some stack size making this play would clearly be incorrect, even though the other calculations that we commonly use say that it should be the same no matter what your stack size is.

DonT77
06-13-2005, 02:48 PM
The chips in the pot will be attracted to players in proportion to their stack sizes. (caveat - if they know how to use their stack.)

Thus taking on slightly -EV plays in hopes of building a bigger stack makes sense if you think of the "implied EV" behind the situation.

Spelling it out - if you are getting 2:1 on a call, but you estimate that you need 2.2:1 for the call to be 'correct' based on pot odds, you might consider the added benefits that winning that pot might give you later on if losing on that call doesn't change your chip position much.