PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes an interesting hand?

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Because I really have no idea. A lot of hands people post which are interesting to many I find boring because the decisions are so close it doesn't really matter at all what you do.

It feels like people are trying to post the most marginal situations, but really at the low limit stage of our poker career's what is far more important is how you play the "straightforward" hands. I was dumbfounded when I read this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2620522&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) becuase the decision is so clearly cut and dry. It comes up so often that I could hardly believe the OP felt his play was correct (not trying to be condescending Iba, just using you as an example). Thats not an interesting hand, but playing it incorrectly is a big mistake and will occur very often. I wonder how many of these hands go unposted because they're "boring", yet we see tons of hands posted where hero's edge is tiny, the decision borderline, and often influenced by player reads.

Not sure what I hoped to accomplish with this thread . . . I'm just sort of frustrated. I try to post hands I find interesting, but usually they just end up being something clowny I did, or what someone else considers a straightforward situation.

What a bunch of lame ramblings. Bring on SmileyGEY.

-SmileyEH

istewart
06-13-2005, 01:20 AM
http://www.asadiq.net/C.Art/Pic/harry%20potter.jpg

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 01:20 AM
My features are WAY more chiselled.

-SmileyEH

jba
06-13-2005, 01:23 AM
???

lost me dude

SmileyGEY
06-13-2005, 01:28 AM
Maybe you just suck.

-SmileyGEY

Klepton
06-13-2005, 01:33 AM
"my name is smileyEH and i talk alot"

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I actually thought I don't talk enough when I post just giving really brief responses. My long format posts of late have been well received though I think.

-SmileyEH

sweetjazz
06-13-2005, 01:37 AM
I think straightforward hands generally belong in the microlimits forum. I've been guilty of posting uninteresting hands here in SS, and it's going to happen from time to time. But I don't see any problem with people pointing out when posts suck.

I think the idea for this forum is that posters should be easily beating 0.5/1 and 1/2, so the hands should generally be ones that come up in 2/4 and 3/6 that don't come up in other contexts.

So a blind steal with J7s becomes interesting, since I never even had the chance to do that at 0.5/1. Also semi-bluffing becomes interesting, because semi-bluffing at 0.5/1 was throwing your money away, whereas at slightly higher limits, you might have a read which indicates that yoru opponent will fold enough hands to make a semi-bluff profitable.

Heck, even should I limp UTG with 44 at 2/4 is an interesting question. It's true that a lot of posters here have seem this topic discussed ad nauseum, but it's a reasonable question for someone to ask who's coming up from 0.5/1 and 1/2. Because those games are loose enough for such limps, and every player has to go through a stage where they accept that there are table conditions under which you should muck 44 UTG.

(Maybe I'm the only one, but I do find the search feature on this site not to be terribly easy to use, so I don't think it's horrible when things get repeated several times, since it's not that hard to skip threads we find boring.)

Just my $0.02.

chesspain
06-13-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I actually thought I don't talk enough when I post just giving really brief responses. My long format posts of late have been well received though I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've become more fond of Smiley's posts since he stopped his seemingly obsessive ramblings about win rates. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CallMeIshmael
06-13-2005, 01:40 AM
I like this post.

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've become more fond of Smiley's posts since he stopped his seemingly obsessive ramblings about win rates. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were all huge misunderstandings - I bet if I posted slightly toned down versions they'd be more well received. Thanks for the props though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-SmileyEH