PDA

View Full Version : 3 .5/1 hands I need help with

Boolean
06-13-2005, 12:19 AM
PP gave me a complimentary $20 today, and currently I'm not shooting to make my first deposit for a while until I understand some basic concepts and until I feel I'm ready. When this came, however, I thought I'd try my hand at .5/1, thinking I'd maybe have some good hands to analyze.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Was this a good fold? Second pair on a board with a flush draw and straight draw possibilities. I also had no other draws whatsoever, thoughts? Preflop, should I fold this hand?

----

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

I think I played this hand terribly. The preflop raise I don't mind, but the call on the flop with only a backdoor flush draw was terrible. Also, the bet on the turn was terrible as well, it's likely I could've gotten a free river card without it, and when I miss, I just lose a BB. Any recommendations for this?

---

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

The bet on the flop here I think is suspect. I don't think I have a pot equity edge here, so betting is spewing, no? On a good note, however, I do get information as I can tell the preflop raiser most likely has a K. The fold on the turn however I think is good after the raise and the board double pairs which means more than likely, I'm drawing dead. Preflop, fold most definately.

Jakesta
06-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Hand 1:

I fold preflop.

I also fold the flop.

Hand 2:

I fold the flop.

Hand 3:

I check-raise this flop. What's the point of betting into the PFR as he is going to raise this flop like 90% of the time, knocking out SB? You want to keep SB around to pay you off if you hit your draw. In fact, now that I think aboutit, I like check-calling this flop. The paired flop really decreases the value of your draw.

Seeing as the board doubled paired on the turn, folding your flush draw on the turn heads up is fine.

NateDog
06-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Hand 1: I ususally toss this PF from MP. JTo is a net loser for me thru almost 30K

Hand 2: I'd check the turn, and call 1 back, folding to 2 cold.

Hand 3: Don't lead the flop on a draw with the PF raiser to your immediate left. A check/raise would've been a very nice play here.

bottomset
06-13-2005, 12:26 AM
first off your risk of busting with only $20 on party is prob 75+%

hand 1
fold preflop, and flop

hand 2
you can fold the flop if villian won't bet without an A

hand 3
check the flop

Boolean
06-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks much for the advice. One question, though. Why a check-raise? I ran it through pokerstove and it only gave me 24% equity here against AK and another random hand.

bottomset
06-13-2005, 12:31 AM
you aren't always up against a K

but you still shouldn't c/r here

Boolean
06-13-2005, 12:33 AM
I knew that I was most likely going to bust out, but since I didn't intend on depositing into Party Poker any time soon (I'm starting with a $50 bankroll at PokerStars playing .05/.10), I figured I'd play and see if I can get some good hands to post out of it.

Bodhi
06-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Hand #1: Fold preflop.

Hand #2: Fold the flop.

Hand #3: Just check, you want the SB in the hand. Good fold on the turn.

karitek
06-13-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks much for the advice. One question, though. Why a check-raise? I ran it through pokerstove and it only gave me 24% equity here against AK and another random hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to check raise because you want to maximize the number of bets going into the pot. If you check-raise, you trap the entire field into paying for 2 bets each. The way you played it, the SB has to call 2-bets cold (which he is less likely to do). You are not always up against a K, don't assume the worse. The PFR could have a pocket pair.

I do agree though that your equity probably is not be high enough to warrant the check-raise. check/calling might actually be the best move here.

KeysrSoze
06-13-2005, 07:39 AM
1. Good fold. pot is just too tiny to call the marginal made hand you have and to chase the small amount of draws, especially when you dont have the club redraw.

2. Fold flop. Another hand where you only have backdoor draws with an ace on the flop. Here you have the nut flush backdoor, which helps a little, but not even a middle pair this time. When theres an ace on the flop you will never know where you stand if you hit just a pair, so you will never make alot of money when you pair on the turn and it holds up; giving you little implied odds to continue, so without a significantly bigger pot on the flop its not worth it I think.

3. Villian raised preflop, He'll probably bet out on the flop when checked to. Heres a good time to checkraise if he bets and at least one opponent calls, or call his bet if his bet folds everyone else. Betting out first only to get raised immediately destroys your equity edge if everyone else folds. I think I fold that turn.

Edit: With that flop I might only raise if 2 people called his bet.

Edit edit: Hrr, Its only 3 way anyway, nevermind. I'd check-call now that I think about it.

McGahee
06-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Hand #1 is fine, Hand #2 you know what you did wrong.

Hand #3 your analysis is not goot. His flop raise means he usually DOESN'T have a K. The turn card isn't the greatest but it's a good spot for a donk bet if you're ever going to donk bet. Defending with J8s is fine too.

silkyslim
06-13-2005, 11:14 AM
1st hand id fold preflop in middle position. Given that I'd fold on the flop because the pot is small, you need about 8-1 to call.

2nd hand good raise pf. Fold on the flop, all you have are two backdoor draws.

3rd: pf call is OK. Betting is a must on the flop, question is whether to check-raise and trap for 2 or 3 bet after UTG+1's raise. Any thoughts on this......

silkyslim
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Can u explain why a check raise is not the right play here? You advocate check/calling yes?

Rev. Good Will
06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
grunching

1 - nice hand

2 - EDIT - I suck at counting outs. yeah, dump this on flop

3 - I'd probably muck this PF (unless SB was a bit of a calling station). Also, I don't like betting into the PF raiser on the flop, thats a move I do when I want to knock out players. Turn is cool.

Rev. Good Will
06-13-2005, 12:42 PM
EDIT - deleted, I suck at counting outs

BlackRain
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I just want to know how you got a free 20 bucks on party /images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGahee
06-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Huh?

kiddj
06-13-2005, 02:20 PM
On hand #3: Why are we calling this preflop? An UTG raise is not a blind steal attempt. Wouldn't you want at least one other caller to make this call on the BB? You only have position on the small blind who liked his hand enough to call 1.5 cold.