PDA

View Full Version : 2x AK ALL-IN vs. 2,7, good idea to call?

Thay333
06-13-2005, 12:04 AM
So here's the idea:

Two people with equal stacks (say, for example, $100 each) go all in.

Knowing the temperament of these players, you believe them to both have AK. (I'm not going to consider the suited or unsuited situations, for which I don't have numbers, but I believe this idea still holds.)

I will submit that, assuming both players have AK, it is CORRECT to call with any two cards that aren't A and K, such as 2 7 off suit.

Now this may sound ludicrous, and that's why I'm writing to this forum.

I'm reading Dan Harrington's book, which states that two higher cards (like AK) vs. two lower cards (like 2,7) is about a 5-3 favorite.

Therefore, the pot now has $200, and you have to call $100. You are a 5-3 underdog, but the pot is giving you 2-1, or 6-3 pay off. Not even to mention that AK is now even LESS of a favorite, because it has a decreased chance of pairing up. (To quote Dan Harrington: This statistic always surprises beginners, who when they see ace-king against something like eight-six imagine that the ace-king must be a huge favorite. But whoever makes a pair mostly wins, and the edge for the ace-king just comes when no one makes a pair or both make a pair.)

So that's it. Therefore, I conclude that if two people with AK go ALL-IN with equal stacks, you are CORRECT to call with any two cards that are not ace or king.

Comments?

-Y

[Note: I realize odds are given in a heads up situation, and change for 3 or more in a pot, but because the other two players hold the same cards, the odds will not be the SAME as heads up, but even slightly LESS favorable for AK.
Also, I realize the odds are not exactly 5-3, and that I haven't treated suitedness, which would change if they share the same suits and such. I think these things alter the 5-3 not significantly enough to change favoritism from 5-3 to 6-3. Therefore, 2 7 is still getting enough pot odds to call.]

pzhon
06-13-2005, 12:23 AM
IIRC, one of the closest 3-way matchups is AKs vs. AKs vs. T4o, with 4 different suits. PokerStove (http://www.pokerstove.com) results for 72 in white:

<font color="white">72o has an equity of 36.2% against AK and AK. 72s has an equity of 39.7%. Par is 33.3%, and there is always some dead money, so it is right by a lot to call. If your read isn't so good on one player, and he might have AA, too, you can still call with 72s (34.0%).
</font>

AaronBrown
06-13-2005, 09:03 PM
You have approximately one chance in three of winning with any non-pair hand that doesn't include an Ace or King. It might be a little better or a little worse, depending on the exact hand. So you can bet or fold, your choice.

d10
06-14-2005, 12:15 AM
2-7o is actually a favorite in a 3 way pot vs AK and AK, so yes I would call.

sully4321
06-14-2005, 12:28 AM
the catch is that you can never be positive they both have AK. if they both flipped and showed you AK, mathematics would designate a call. however, they could just as easily be holding pocket T-A in which case ur [censored]. in short, 72 off is not a good hand to go all in with... fold and wait for a better situation. however, if you are playing in a house of mirrors and see AK and AK, call.

SydPokerFan
06-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Sully hits the nail on the head. The point is that you cannot possibly read two players having AK. This is purely a math problem but of no relevance to playing a hand.

JC_Saves
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
the fact that you have a slight pot equity against AK, AK does not mean that his is a good move. Yes there are more chances for you to pair your and 6 versus the possiblity of them pairing their hand 4, but even if they do not win, they will tie for the pot a high percentage of the time and you will be gone due to your pathetically low cardedness(if that is a word)

In short, this is a fold unless you were maybe shortstacked, then it would be worth a try for the chance to triple up.

JC_Saves
06-25-2005, 02:06 PM
the fact that you have a slight pot equity against AK, AK does not mean that his is a good move. Yes there are more chances for you to pair your and 6 versus the possiblity of them pairing their hand 4, but even if they do not win, they will tie for the pot a high percentage of the time and you will be gone due to your pathetically low cardedness(if that is a word) .

If you do not flop a pair, you become the underdog by quite a bit.

In short, this is a fold unless you were maybe shortstacked, then it would be worth a try for the chance to triple up.

JC_Saves
06-25-2005, 08:11 PM
why did it post this twice?

oneeye13
07-02-2005, 06:28 PM
if you are playing in a house of mirrors... you can surely find a better spot