PDA

View Full Version : Should CDs be listened to in order?

BWebb
06-12-2005, 11:48 PM
I've been wondering if it makes a difference if you listen to CDs in the order they are layed out on the CD or not. My PC media player plays songs in alphabetical order instead of track order. Am I missing something from my overall listening experience?

gvibes
06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering if it makes a difference if you listen to CDs in the order they are layed out on the CD or not. My PC media player plays songs in alphabetical order instead of track order. Am I missing something from my overall listening experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if it's a good CD, you should miss something. I would listen to them in order.

istewart
06-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Depends on the band, and/or album.

That is to say,

Coldplay album: No
Radiohead album: Yes

nothumb
06-12-2005, 11:56 PM
On a lot of good albums, absolutely. You should be able to organize them by filename on your player, and if you store them with track listings they will be in order. When I download an album I always do this.

NT

tbach24
06-13-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the band, and/or album.

That is to say,

Coldplay album: No
Radiohead album: Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to them bad then. Is it really that much better than w/o order? Because they've already become my favorite band ever.

istewart
06-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Radiohead?

I was making a generalization, but a few of their albums definitely have to be listened to in their entirety.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah, lots of albumbs are made carefully to walk you through the music just like any story teller walks you through the ups and downs and changes of his story. Then again, not everyone puts together albums like that. There's usually at least a little attempt at pacing, though, so you don't have all the intense things in one burst and all the slow things together, making the experience feel too unbalanced.

tbach24
06-13-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Radiohead?

I was making a generalization, but a few of their albums definitely have to be listened to in their entirety.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. They're awesome. I'll try to put them in order.

TimTimSalabim
06-13-2005, 12:10 AM
If you're listening to an album like 2112, I'd say definitely yes. For most, no.

istewart
06-13-2005, 12:12 AM
2112 pwwwwnnnnss.