PDA

View Full Version : A hand I enjoyed playing

SmileyEH
06-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't really know what constitutes an interesting hand, but here's one I enjoyed and I'm pretty sure was well played, but that's obv open for debate.

Opponent was raising quickly which felt really weak to me (I use timing tells from time to time).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB

-SmileyEH

JoshuaD
06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm generally folding this in the BB unless I'm up against loose aggressive preflop, but a terrible postflop player.

I think if I was you, I would check-raise the turn, not the flop. If he's got overcards, it really puts him to the test for 2/3 the price (if you raise the flop, and he just calls, you're commited to betting out the turn now, where he can again raise you, costing 1.5BB's, where raising the turn only costs 1).

Taking your line, It seems to me that you have to fold to that turn raise, but the pot's getting big, so it might be right to call down.

squeek12
06-12-2005, 11:51 PM
If you're going to lead the turn, you should 3-bet. I would most likely have check/raised the turn and led the river.

The way you played it though, on the river, I raise and call a 3-bet.

Holy Ish, i misread the hand completely....I thought Hero had 55. oops

JoshuaD
06-12-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to lead the turn, you should 3-bet. I would most likely have check/raised the turn and led the river.

The way you played it though, on the river, I raise and call a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Can you explain this more?

Edit: Oh.

squeek12
06-12-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy Ish, i misread the hand completely....I thought Hero had 55. oops

[/ QUOTE ]

tytygoodnuts
06-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Do you normally chip spew with K5o?

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are all your posts this good?

-SmileyEH

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 02:32 AM
I just remembered something about this hand. When I donkbetted the turn, villian instantly raised. I think this reduces the likelihood that I'm up against an overpair considerably.

-SmileyEH

JacksonTens
06-13-2005, 02:47 AM
This may seem like an odd statement. But when the button raises into my blinds and I suspect a steal, (which is quite often) I'll 3-bet. This regularly takes down the pot, and if they call you can bet the flop, which will almost always crunch 'em if they didn't hit it. I would have bet this flop, but I agree with the turn and the river. May think about folding the river though, but it is heads up and you have to factor in the % they are bluffing. Which I find can be almost as if not more important than their cards HU.

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Entity
06-13-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm folding preflop. I think calling kinda sucks, to be honest.

I don't checkraise the flop, as in blindstealing situations I don't find that a flop checkraise on an 875 twoclub board is really likely to be taken lightly, and I don't particularly want to be 3-bet, especially when hands like AK will quite often believe that I'm checkraise-semibluffing a draw, and will 3-bet me to "make me pay."

Once you get 3-bet, though, and he raises the turn, I think the odds of an overpair go up, and the odds of K5 being good way down. There's not a lot on that board he can be semibluffing with, and against a standard $3/6 opponent (you provided no reads to the contrary), you're getting raised by AK almost never on the turn. Not often enough to call and check-call the river.

An interesting line in situations like this, if you refuse to fold (and you seem to -- I'm not sure what, short of a nuclear bomb, would make you fold this hand), is to check-call the flop and bet the turn. You can decide what to do from there, but this line has a tendency to elicit a more "honest" response from an opponent and is less likely to get a raise from AK on the turn.

I don't get your statement about an overpair being "more likely" on the turn. Care to clarify why an unknown is more likely to raise AK on the turn than AA?

Rob

anatta
06-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Preflop is too loose. K5o is a fold for me almost always especially with a 3:1 blind stucture.

Post flop is fine. You check-raised the flop on what is probably the best hand. He three-bet which often means a draw (ie overcards) and not an overpair (which often he would just call and raise turn).

You could fourbet flop and bet turn, but just calling and betting out is probably better. Your hand isn't all that, and you get to see what the turn brings. I don't think its a "donk bet". (The term "donk" didn't exist a year ago but now everyone uses it, who invented it? Used to be called "fishy" like a "fishy turn bet"). You bet out on turn to avoid a free card by him. He raised, which could mean a hand, but it could mean he doesn't buy the stop and go especially with the board pairing (your bet out with top card pairing on turn rightfully looks very suspicious to him).

Bad river card but WTF I call here too.

tytygoodnuts
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are all your posts this good?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Are all your preflop plays that LOOSE? Geez, I'm sorry you can't handle a blunt critique.

ElAnimal
06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Did you have a read on villain as a bonafide LAG? If I played it like you did to the turn, I'm not calling a raise unless his postflop aggression is off the charts.