PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Baseball Top 40 Stat

John Cole
01-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Of the top 40 players all-time in OPS, 17 are current players. Of the remaing players, all are Hall of Famers except for two inelegible, Joe Jackson and Mark McGuire. (Only Charley Keller of the top 40 is missing from the Hall.)

Without looking, guess who tops the list of active players?

John

andyfox
01-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Either Bonds or Thomas, I would think.

The current era is one dominated by offense, so it would figure that there are a fair number of active players on the all-time OPS list.

Keller was a great player, but somewhat unrecognized today, because, I imagine, of a realtively short career and the shadow of DiMaggio.

John Cole
01-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Andy,

Sorry, got a bit too far down the list: it's Lefty O'Doul who's missing, and Albert Belle is also inelegible. Keller comes in at 43.

BTW, Manny Ramirez ranks ahead of Thomas, and right behind Bonds who is at #2 of active players.

IrishHand
01-11-2003, 04:01 PM
I'm with the above poster - I'd have gone: Bonds, Thomas, Helton, Ramirez, Walker, Bagwell.

With what you said, I'm guessing that Helton's currently in #1. It's tougher for me to guess when their careers haven't been that long (since it sort of invalidates the "average" numbers from a career perspective).

patrick dicaprio
01-12-2003, 05:56 PM
either bagwell or helton?

One thing to think about is that if you did a similar thing in teh 30's you would have had a list of 30's players. the era they play in must be taken into account. but the players of today are still the best ever, notwithstanding the above.

Pat

Rick Nebiolo
01-13-2003, 02:36 AM

Glenn
01-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Here is a link to the career adjusted OPS leaders. The actual active OPS leader, Mr. Helton, is tied for 72 along with Bobby Abreu.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/OPS_career.shtml

andyfox
01-13-2003, 03:10 AM