PDA

View Full Version : Call or Raise on river?

IcemanDan
06-12-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm sitting 1 right of button, and action folds around to me.
ME: (J /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) Raise
Button: Call
SB: Call
BB: Call

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

checks around

Turn: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

checks around

River: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB: check
BB: check
ME: Bet
Button: Raise
SB: Fold
BB: Fold
ME: ???

I suspected that he might have been slowplaying QQ or KQ or KK (though doubtful because he probably would have reraised preflop)so I just called. I didn't know much about my opponent, as this was my first hand at the table.

Was the correct play to raise on the river?

(He ended up having AT for a straight)

Joshssj4
06-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Definately raise the river.
There are many hands he's going to raise the river with considering you checked the whole way. I raise the river and call a cap.

LImitPlayer
06-12-2005, 11:55 PM
This is an easy re-raise. Your seeing monsters when there are none

If the villain has any of the hands you suspected him of having he is the worst poker player in the world.

I'm putting him on either A-10 9-10 or he is bluff raising the river figuring you checked all the way and had nothing.

He is not going to let the flop and the turn go by when he has a monster hand and he is the last to act.

You should have bet this flop.

IcemanDan
06-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Bet the flop? Are you sure?

Against 3 opponents, I didn't think there was much of a chance to take the pot down right there or of my actually having the best hand. I was playing 1/2 on noble poker and my flop bluffs hadn't worked very well at the table.

The guy with AT probably would have called anyway, right? He was getting decent odds if you consider the 3 remaining A's and the 4 J's his outs (as far as he knows) for .5 BB into a pot of 5 BB if he calls.

As a side note, I hate how everyone already in the pot preflop (the big blind, anyone posting, and anyone in early or middle position who has called) NEVER folds to a raise. People just seem to love calling out of position with their KJ, QT, or 98s. Are these kinds of players weeded out at the higher limits?

trumpman84
06-13-2005, 07:43 AM
1) You don't bet the flop as a bluff...you bet the flop because you might have the best hand and dont want to give a free card to JT or Axs.

2) It is almost always correct to call one more bet if you've already limped in. (Now whether limping in the first place was correct or not is debatable.) By the time the raise gets back around to you, you have plenty of odds to call for one SB more. You can also play a little more loosely from the blinds than you can from most other positions because you are getting a much better price on your money despite your positional disadvantage.

3) You want poor players at your table. Poor players are poor because they lose money in the long run. If you are a winning player, that means they are losing that money to you in the long run, but if you are a losing player the oppposite is true. In general, I mean that the guy playing K8s to a raise might suck out once in a while when he hits his backdoor flush against your aces, but most of the time, he is putting dead money into the pot drawing nearly dead.
It seems to me that you play so weak-tight that you may not be making enough money off your winning hands, so when you lose all your winnings to a suckout, it affects you a lot more and it probably seriously affects your winrate.