PDA

View Full Version : Finally. Data Mining App for PokerStars

oreogod
06-12-2005, 10:55 PM
from the pokertracker boards. It works pretty well.

http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5874

oreogod
06-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Just started using it today. Its pretty insane, u open tables, it will capture them, and close them...and even though they are closed, it generates a list of all the tables you had opened and then u hit a button to grab the histories. I have 25 tables being captured and its working pretty well.

teddyFBI
06-13-2005, 11:45 AM
I have a question: I've downloaded a bunch of these mini freeware apps in recent weeks: pokerstove, hh, GT+, this Starspy thing, etc. etc.

Is there any way to tell whether perhaps there's malicious code in these things? I always scan the files with Symantec anti-virus before opening them, but if the coder embedded his own custom malicious code or a keylogger in there, it wouldn't necessarily be picked up by antivirus programs that only look for "known" viruses, right?
Or am I wrong? Is there anything else I can do to protect myself against possibly malicious embedded code?

illunious
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a question: I've downloaded a bunch of these mini freeware apps in recent weeks: pokerstove, hh, GT+, this Starspy thing, etc. etc.

Is there any way to tell whether perhaps there's malicious code in these things? I always scan the files with Symantec anti-virus before opening them, but if the coder embedded his own custom malicious code or a keylogger in there, it wouldn't necessarily be picked up by antivirus programs that only look for "known" viruses, right?
Or am I wrong? Is there anything else I can do to protect myself against possibly malicious embedded code?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be too worried about viruses. Might be a little paranoid about a keylogger or backdoor, the best thing you can do to prevent that is run a software firewall that will only allow specific applications to access the internet.

oreogod
06-13-2005, 11:42 PM
If you're really worried, just scan it with norton. If you;re still worried after u install it, scan it again with norton, then ad-aware, then ewido.

VegasVixen
06-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks so much for this info. I'm running this program, but having a problem, hope someone can help?

Here's my problem... I keep attempting to capture many hands yet for some reason only get 44 - 47 HH's "grabbed" and imported. For example, I opened 40 tables, and after closing the tables after 30 minutes and grabbing the HH's, only 47 HH's were saved. When I looked at the HH window the program is copying from, it CLEARLY showed several hundred on the screen... any thoughts?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I open the program, open a Pstars table, click "capture Tables", add like 20 - 40 more tables (they all show up in the StarSpy window), let it run awhile, then click Stop capture, CLose all tables, then grab hand histories... Regardless how long I let the program run I only get 40ish HH's captured & written to the text file /images/graemlins/frown.gif (I also tried clicking "stop capture" immediately after loading all the tabes, then letting it run awhile... same results, 47 hands saved but like 400 showing in the PStars HH window)

oreogod
06-14-2005, 04:01 AM
Thats happened to me a couple times. I usually close the HH window (pokerstars Display HH one)...reopen it, in starspy, I then rehit grab hand histories, and that usually takes care of the problem. It will go from grabbing 40-100 of them to getting all of them once I go through this process.

VegasVixen
06-14-2005, 09:37 AM
OK here's whats happening. It saves only the LAST hand on each window in the PStars Hand Histories. For example, this morning I mined 5 tables for 10 minutes. It saved 6 HH's. The last one from each table's HH window + the last one on the "All Tables" HH window. I am using XP on a very new laptop, Dell Inspiron 9300... any thoughts?

I tried closing & reopening the PS HH window, same results: 6 HH's captured. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

bobbyi
06-14-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is there any way to tell whether perhaps there's malicious code in these things?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, there is not way to ever be sure. Running antivirus, a firewall, etc., are good precautions and should definitely be done, but ultimately you still should not run code you don't trust as you can't be 100% sure it is not malicious.

VegasVixen
06-14-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK here's whats happening. It saves only the LAST hand on each window in the PStars Hand Histories. For example, this morning I mined 5 tables for 10 minutes. It saved 6 HH's. The last one from each table's HH window + the last one on the "All Tables" HH window. I am using XP on a very new laptop, Dell Inspiron 9300... any thoughts?

I tried closing & reopening the PS HH window, same results: 6 HH's captured. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me just update & say that Jay, the guy that designed this nifty little piece of software, is VERY helpful & responsive. The program is very cool. I capture about 900 hands in 15 minutes mining 40 tables at once. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fix8ed
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is there any way to tell whether perhaps there's malicious code in these things?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, there is not way to ever be sure. Running antivirus, a firewall, etc., are good precautions and should definitely be done, but ultimately you still should not run code you don't trust as you can't be 100% sure it is not malicious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent advice! I'm always cautious when downloading software from a company or person I'm not familiar with. Bottom line: if you don't trust it, don't download it. It's much easier to go back and install something after finding out it's on the level than it is to reinstall your OS, change your passwords, etc.

That being said, I wrote StarSpy, and I've just updated the program. Anyone who downloaded an earlier version should get the latest version. It's been vastly improved, IMHO.

Take care!

Jay /images/graemlins/cool.gif

fix8ed
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
And it helps if I include a link to the download page, huh?

StarSpy (http://members.cox.net/starspy)

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oreogod
06-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Hey look who showed up.

DavidC
06-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Hijack, sorry.

Is there something like this that will do this for party poker?

I'd love to be able to mine more than 4x tables per server at once.

--Dave.

sethypooh21
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow is this thing cool...I'm not sure I'm even going to be able to play, as I spend all my time mining....

oreogod
06-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Just to let u all know.

Leave Starspy running...hit Manul Grab...click the topmost HH in the HH window, leave it there...go out, sleep, work out, whatever...it will grab the HH for u so u dont have to keep doing it every 20 min.

I left it on last night after I went to sleep, came back and it captured 14,000 hand histories.