PDA

View Full Version : starting hand requirements when your on the bubble

still steamin
01-11-2003, 11:42 AM
limit holdem ss stakes are 600/1200 10 players left There is one big stack with 12k the rest of the players all have between 5k and 9k. I am UTG with Ac Qc and make it 1200 to go everyone folds to the BB who calls, the flop comes Jd 3h 7h the BB checks, I bet he calls, the turn is the Qd BB bets into me, I raise he calls, river is the Jh, BB checks I check he shows me Kh Qh and scoops the pot. Next hand I am BB all in and gone. finished on the bubble and im still steamin, Where do you draw the line with your starting requirements when your on the bubble, when everyone is siting back folding everything waiting for someone else to make a mistake. Do you let go AA KK QQ in that spot? Or would you raise pre flop hopeing to scoop the blinds then let the hand go if someone comes over the top of you? Or just fold everthing and hope someone gets crippled before you are blinded to death.

snowman
01-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I would have played it the same as you did.
question is are you playing to win 1st place or playing to survive to the final table. if your playing to win you have to keep acculamating chips. you're taking a chance utg with AQ but the way the field cleared out to heads up with the BB is what you wanted .
I didn't answer the what hand part because it depends on your answer to what you want and how the table is playing.
A lot of times in that spot I lower my requirements because everyone tightens up and I can steal a lot of antes and blinds with hands I normaly fold.

still steamin
01-11-2003, 03:12 PM
ok that is a very important part of the equation I left out, you are not playing to win 1st place, you are playing just to reach the final table, top 9 advance to second round 200.00 buy in ss, the play up to this point has been very very tight no one wants to get involved in a hand, both small stacks continue to double up and there is no one who is obviously in trouble and needs to make a move, the big stack has been ultra aggressave takeing full advantage of the table tightness is siting on my left.

audavidb
01-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Easy, fold everything! MAYBE play AA. You are just trying to get to the final table, who cares what you have. No way I play AQ, especially UTG. The big stacks aggression actually works to your advantage, use it. Let him accumulate the chips. Every chip he gets means your competition is one step closer to losing. You can not play AQ in this position.

I had a similiar situation today. I had the 7th most chips out of 19 and the top 18 move on, I saw KK in SB, I raised the min (would normally raise 3X BB) and was prepared to lay down to any raise/bet even though I am sure I was the fav. The dif here is I knew I could still fold everything and advance if I was reraised. BB folded so didn't materialize, folded the rest of the time and advanced.

still steamin
01-12-2003, 04:18 AM
sound advice, tyvm