PDA

View Full Version : NLH tourny raises

Josh W
01-11-2003, 07:29 AM
A pretty simple question, really. When, in a NL tourny, I make a first raise (i.e. not a reraise), I, like most of you, raise somewhere around 3 BB (depening on ante's etc...).

And, of course, if my raise is above about 40% of my stack, I just push all in. Basic.

My question is, though, let's say you know that the blinds are going to be going up in the next 1 minute or so. If this is the case, are you MORE likely to push allin (ie set the 40% line at 30% or 35% instead?).

Obviously this will depend on the size of the blind change (i.e. 150-300 to 200-400 isn't as critical as 200-400 to 400-800).

Have you guys put thought into this?

Thanks,

Josh W.

ohkanada
01-12-2003, 01:28 AM
It is certainly a factor in knowing when the blinds are going to increase and by how much. I think as a short stack in the last few minutes of a round you need to already be thinking that the blinds have increased and play based on that. As a larger stack you need to be aware of others that might do the same thing.

My favorite example was in a tourney last year. We were down to 2 tables and I was short stacked. I was trying to find a hand to go all-in with but someone kept on raising 1st. Finally with 45 seconds left on the clock for the round I decided to raise with whatever cards I had if it wasn't raised. Sure enough it is folded to me. I look at a monster 32o. I raise all-in and the BB a good player with a slightly larger stack takes a long time to decide to fold /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I ended up taking 4th and a nice payday.

Ken Poklitar