PDA

View Full Version : I suck at short putts.

brassnuts
06-12-2005, 09:06 PM
I shot a 6-over 42 on the front nine with bogey 3-putts on holes 5-9. 2 of them were from less than 20 feet. I suck. But, I did sink about 100 footer (my 1st or 2nd longest putt ever on a course) on 11 to save par, and I sank a 40 footer on 17 for an eagle 2. It was 285 yards, slightly up hill, and just riddled with bunkers. I just went for it and got lucky. Anyways, yeah golf is fun, and I suck at 3-5 foot putts.

DemonDeac
06-12-2005, 09:08 PM
285 yd par 4??
yikes

and yea, i suck a putting too. best not to think about it. i just go up with a line in my head a putt. best ive done

Clarkmeister
06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suck at 3-5 foot putts

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorten your stroke. Try a very short backstroke with a nice full follow through.

brassnuts
06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
285 yd par 4??
yikes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I've played easier medium length par fours. It's still pretty lame, though.

ClaytonN
06-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Don't watch the ball go into the hole. And practice.

Seriously, your technique is probably one of the last of the problems in your putting. It's likely due to confidence (or lack thereof) and your amount of practice into putting.

It's not how, but how many. There are lots of guys on the PGA tour with really ugly putting strokes that lead the tour in putting averages.

brassnuts
06-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Actually, I think I was just reading the greens horribly. I golfed in highschool, and I used to feel comfortable with my stroke. I like Clark's advice, and I was actually doing that on the back nine, and I only had one 3-putt. Also, on the back nine, I was spending more time studying the greens, but concentrating less when I went up to actually putt the ball. So, I mean I'd be careful finding my spot to aim at, but once I got it, I wouldn't think. I just stepped up and let feel take over. But, this was the 2nd time I've played golf since last summer, so I don't have much feel.

ceyoung
06-12-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suck at 3-5 foot putts

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorten your stroke. Try a very short backstroke with a nice full follow through.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't really good advice. i bet you'll find yourself hitting the ball more than you are stroking it. with a short takeback, the ball can jump a little of the face.

try using a smooth stroke. vary your distance by the amount you are taking it back. and try to follow through to the same distance as you took it back.

let me qualify my remarks with my 2.7 handicap.

touchfaith
06-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Ram it in (14.1)

andyfox
06-12-2005, 11:13 PM
What I found helped me when I played was to make sure my back hand followed through directly at the target.

bholdr
06-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Drive for show, putt for dough.

SuitedSixes
06-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Get lined up, then look at the hole, not the ball.

Sponger15SB
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drive for show, putt for dough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play ball golf at all, or just Disc?

Btw, if anyone in San Diego is anywhere decent at Disc Golf and would like to play please PM me as I am now home for the summer.

brassnuts
06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good advice. Also, something I like to do is imagine there is no hole, but just a single tee right in the middle of where the hole is and try to hit that. It helps sometimes. Also, years ago, I used to actually practice like that on the practice greens instead of using their holes.

gvibes
06-12-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I get worse at short putts when I look at the hole. I don't look at the hole on long putts, but when I'm so close I get tempted.

JTrout
06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Good article. (http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/index.ssf?/instruction/gd200410puttingyips.html)

http://content-golf.live.advance.net/images/gd200410/puttingyips6.jpg

youtalkfunny
06-13-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm really good at putting.

Where I run into trouble is those shots where the ball has to go up in the air. I never know where it's going to go.

But my putts always go toward the hole.

Cumulonimbus
06-13-2005, 03:05 AM
I watched a video that said the easiest improvement to one's putting game is to focus your eyes on the spot where your ball rested 2 seconds after you hit it. I guess jumping eyes are a big cause of misputts. It helped me anyways.

SuitedSixes
06-13-2005, 03:22 AM
I used to be a PGA teaching pro, and I've gone on this rant here before, but name me another target-projectile activity where you look at the projectile and not the target. Your head will remember where the ball is and how to strike it, it needs to focus on the hole.

Cumulonimbus
06-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Ahh I'm not claiming that it's a big secret or anything or that it's a better technique, but it helped me immensely in my highschool golf tourneys. It honestly saved me about six strokes per round.

scotty34
06-13-2005, 04:22 AM
I went out at about 5:00PM tonight with a couple of the pros from my club. I fired a +1 37 on nine holes from the back tees and beat both of them (bogied 9 /images/graemlins/mad.gif). I didn't miss a single putt from inside 6 feet, but didn't make a single one from outside 6 feet. If I could have drained a few of my longer putts I could have been 33-34. Damn I was playing well.

Oh, and I was demoing the new Ben Hogan driver - me likey.

Blackjack
06-13-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
285 yd par 4??
yikes

285 Par 4... /drools

More like 450 yard par 4s at the course I play at.. Puerta Azul.

BUy the new Ping Putter. The oversize mallet ones that look like frying pans. They were made to cure the yips

and yea, i suck a putting too. best not to think about it. i just go up with a line in my head a putt. best ive done

[/ QUOTE ]

on_thg
06-13-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, yeah golf is fun, and I suck at 3-5 foot putts.

[/ QUOTE ]