PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the turn raise

twang
06-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Among lots of other things, I don't know how to deal with getting raised on the turn after I've shown aggression.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero checks</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero?

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Assuming I have no read, is there a default line for this one? It feels like this could be a good opportunity for villain to try a bluff on the scare card with an unimproved ace-hand or medium pair. I don't think he has a 5 though, given the pf-call. Should I assume that he did connect with the Q?

Edit: Fixed screwed up HH.

toss
06-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Meh its usually reader dependent, but when the board pairs and villain raises, I often call down. It just seems that donks like to bluff at that paired board. If it was any other turn I usually muck.

damaniac
06-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure why you bet the river. If he has a Q he probably calls, you lose, sometimes he raises, you also lose. If he has a 5 he raises, you lose. If he has a busted flush draw, he probably folds, MAYBE he bluff-raises although I don't see this very often. In any event you really have nothing to gain unless he's getting a little nuts with a smaller PP or overcards or something, and the only chance you have of winning a bet when called is if he calls with a lower pp. I don't think this is at all likely enough to balance those times he has a better hand or will you bluff-raise you and force you to fold (I really don't see how you can call this river), just check/call.

toss
06-12-2005, 09:16 PM
He checked the river.

damaniac
06-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Sorry the red coloring threw me off. Call.

thirddan
06-12-2005, 10:26 PM
i think that if you are going to call the turn then you should call when the river blanks off...basically by calling the turn you are saying that you don't believe that CO has a Q/5, so you call (since you don't have odds to draw to only 2 outs), so if you were good in your mind on the turn then you are still good on the river...but if you think that CO has you beat on the turn then you should just fold to the c/r...

Moozh
06-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Ian is right. The decision is on the turn. Once you call the turn, you better be calling the river (when an undercard comes). If you think you're beat, you need to fold the turn. Whether you think you're beat or not is, of course, very player dependent.

PhatPots
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
If you call the turn raise, then you call the river. The 9 is a brick, nothing has changed. Without a read on the villain, I would call it. If that Q had been an ace, then I am more likely to fold.

Pots

chesspain
06-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Calling the turn and then folding to a river brick is way worse than either folding to the turn raise or simply calling down.

SmileyEH
06-13-2005, 01:18 AM
This is completely player dependant. I think I'd fold here though against an unknown - maybe a sunday night unknown I'd call down. I doubt its a big mistake either way.

-SmileyEH

Evigt_Drabbad
06-13-2005, 03:52 AM
I think you can fold to the turn raise. He coldcalled your raise preflop, then he should have a pocket pair or two big cards like maybe AQ, KQ. He might even have A5s. You have to respect the raises on turn if its not a maniac and you have reads on him. This is 2/4 and from my experience on that limit when people raise it means they got something.

MrEngenic
06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Player dependent. Bear in mind that this is a great semibluff/bluff opportunity for opponent with a paired flush draw on the board. I don't think he has the 5 though, more likely AQs. I would check him up a few times before I start folding here.

Mister Z
06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm going to Grunch this b/c I'm trying to move up to 2/4...

A read here is very important, but without one I think you're better off folding the turn. I think your average opponent is not bluffing enough to make calling down profitable. Particularly in a pot this small.