PDA

View Full Version : Malkmus or Date

Ulysses
06-12-2005, 08:35 PM
OK, here is the situation. Last week I made a date w/ this chick for Wednesday night. She is an attractive (hot, but not super-hot) lawyer. She is very cool and we got along great, but I suspect that when it comes to things like music/books/movies we will not really have enough common interests for there to be a relationship, so I don't see this as gf-potential. Based on the party we met at, I am pretty sure I can hook up if I go out with her (no, I won't be trying to stick it in her pooper), and if that works out I could probably hook up w/ her again on Fri night before heading back to NYC for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday, however, a friend informs me that Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks are playing at the Fillmore on Wed night. Man, I saw their show in Dec '03 and it was amazing. Really great concert. Malkmus rules. Tickets are only $20, too.

So, the question is, go on a date w/ this chick or blow her off (she won't be into going to Malkmus) and probably not end up seeing her at all (I have plans most other days this week and then I'm off to NYC for a couple of weeks).

Clarkmeister
06-12-2005, 08:37 PM
You go with the hot lawyer. Plus, despite your doubts that you will have many common interests, you can't totally rule it out. Should you hit the lottery there, you could be sitting pretty.

usmfan
06-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Why not take her to the show?

EDIT: I can't read.

PoBoy321
06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I say go on the date, but I'm probably biased because I've been in the same relationship for the last 2 years and I get very jealous of guys who get to go out with new people.

jacki
06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
any chance of doing the date after the concert?

jaxUp
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I thought El Diablo could get any broad he wanted. Just hit up the concert and pick out another one whenever it's convenient.

miajag81
06-12-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say go on the date, but I'm probably biased because I've been in the same relationship for the last 2 years and I get very jealous of guys who get to go out with new people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

poker-penguin
06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Concert.

You get laid frequently, I assume, how often do you get to go to good concerts?

fluxrad
06-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I didn't even read most of your post because this is a no-brainer.

Although I highly doubt too many people on this thread even know who Stephen Malkmus is.

Also, his new album is pretty damned good (though I don't think I like it as much as Pig Lib).

mason55
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Malkmus. Easy pick. Can't you reschedule the date?

Tyler Durden
06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Who the hell are Steve Malkmus and the Jicks and also, what a horrible, horrible name for a band.

Alobar
06-12-2005, 09:48 PM
When you look back on life, which memory are you going to enjoy more. The memory of one more broad you stuck it in, that bleeds into all the other memories of broads you stuck it in. Or the memory of a getting to see a show that you are going to view as kickass.

I'd invite her to go anyway, when she says no, I'd go to the conert. But id still invite her anyway, cuz its easily +EV

ClaytonN
06-12-2005, 09:52 PM
If you're THAT certain you guys won't be compatible, then Malkmus easily.

But I get the feeling you can't possibly be sure enough that she's just a 2-date woman.

fluxrad
06-12-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell are Steve Malkmus and the Jicks and also, what a horrible, horrible name for a band.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve Malkmus is/was the lead singer of Pavement (one of the most influential indy rock bands). He set out on his own (with the Jicks) and basically his solo music kicks almost as much ass as Pavement.

sfer
06-12-2005, 09:56 PM
He's playing what looks like for free at Battery Park with Yo La Tengo and Laura Cantrell, so there's a potential backup plan.

But really this depends on the likelihood that he plays Cut Your Hair.

wacki
06-12-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so I don't see this as gf-potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response totally relies on how sure you are of this. And judging by your post, you already sound pretty confident. Yes, you could could hit the lottery as old dirty Clarkmeister says. However, you could also end up meeting a super cool chick at the Fillmore. Put your poker mind to good use and calculate your long term EV of either situation.

If it was me I'd ask her face to face what she thought of:
"Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks". If she didn't know who they were I would play a song or two for her. If lights go on, then I ask her to go with. If she doesn't perk up, I leave the her at home.

It's your life though.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I voted date just because I don't think Malkmus' live show is awesome. It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but not something I need to see twice. Also, I'm not a fan of his new album, and since that's what he's going to be playing mostly, I'd have to go with the woman.

wacki
06-12-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you look back on life, which memory are you going to enjoy more. The memory of one more broad you stuck it in, that bleeds into all the other memories of broads you stuck it in. Or the memory of a getting to see a show that you are going to view as kickass.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to women, I really like the way you think.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd invite her to go anyway, when she says no, I'd go to the conert. But id still invite her anyway, cuz its easily +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for this. If you test the waters and they don't feel warm then it's a huge gamble. It could very easily end up being the best or the worst night ever.

fluxrad
06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not a fan of his new album, and since that's what he's going to be playing mostly, I'd have to go with the woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to listen to it a couple of times to get into it.

I wasn't particularly fond of it when I first popped into my CD player, but upon subsequent listenings I really started to see its merits.

Alobar
06-12-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to women, I really like the way you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

why's it gotta be so one sided man, why cant you realize I kickass when it comes to everything /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for this. If you test the waters and they don't feel warm then it's a huge gamble. It could very easily end up being the best or the worst night ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically maybe, but in this situation I don't think so. She is a succesful confident women, so shes only going to go if she wants to and knows of the band most likely. Which is why im asking her, because if shes heard of them and enjoys them, then thats kickass.

However if she doesnt and just wants to go because she wants to bone me, thats fine too. Because like I said, she sounds like a succesful confident women, so im not going to feel the need to baby sit her at the concert, so its not going to ruin my buzz any if shes there. If we were talking about your typical low self esteem young woman, then it would be a whole diff story, because then you have to deal with the possibility of drama and what not. but since diablo likes her, Im guessing thats not the case here.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-12-2005, 10:11 PM
You made the decision already - Malkmus

Duh.

wacki
06-12-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Typically maybe, but in this situation I don't think so. She is a succesful confident women, so shes only going to go if she wants to and knows of the band most likely. Which is why im asking her, because if shes heard of them and enjoys them, then thats kickass.

However if she doesnt and just wants to go because she wants to bone me, thats fine too. Because like I said, she sounds like a succesful confident women, so im not going to feel the need to baby sit her at the concert, so its not going to ruin my buzz any if shes there. If we were talking about your typical low self esteem young woman, then it would be a whole diff story, because then you have to deal with the possibility of drama and what not. but since diablo likes her, Im guessing thats not the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche

Clarkmeister
06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She is a succesful confident [hot] woman

[/ QUOTE ]

And those don't grow on trees.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-12-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but El D already made up his mind about her. That's why he's asking OOT. He's not into her enough (or ready for a relationship in general) to justify wasting either person's time and losing out on a good concert.

Clarkmeister
06-12-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but El D already made up his mind about her. That's why he's asking OOT. He's not into her enough (or ready for a relationship in general) to justify wasting either person's time and losing out on a good concert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that, or he's just bored and needs something to read.

Ulysses
06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's playing what looks like for free at Battery Park with Yo La Tengo and Laura Cantrell, so there's a potential backup plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, he was f'in at Irving Plaza on Tuesday. I can't believe I missed that. WHY WERENT U WILLIAMSBURG KIDS POSTING ABOUT THAT!?!?!?! Wasn't planning on being in NYC for July 4, but this is something to consider.

glen
06-12-2005, 10:48 PM
While it's usually prose before hos, and Malkmus is great, I would go on the date, and then go see Malkmus somewhere else in the area even if it requires a little travelling. . . .

gonores
06-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I just want to say that everyone who thinks Diablo should take this broad out overvalues sex/hooking up massively, or undervalues fun.

Also, there is a 100% chance that Diablo did not make this post to get advice on this situation.

wacki
06-12-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, there is a 100% chance that Diablo did not make this post to get advice on this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I saw him heckling kurosh on IRC and I was thinking similar thoughts about some of his arguments. The man always seems to have ulterior motives.

Clarkmeister
06-12-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to say that everyone who thinks Diablo should take this broad out overvalues sex/hooking up massively, or undervalues fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. I can't speak for everyone but I'm saying that if she really and truly is a successful, confident, smart and hot attorney, then she's a rare bird and it's not just "hooking up" regardless of a small chance of a LTR.

As for his post, 100% of what El D posts is for his own amusement and no other reason. Fortunately, those same posts tend to be amusing to the readers as well.

Ulysses
06-12-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the veracity of your statement, I thought it was an interesting situation to pose that might result in some interesting responses. FWIW, the situation as described is 100% true.

Ulysses
06-12-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for his post, 100% of what El D posts is for his own amusement and no other reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is false. Sometime I post to be helpful as well. See my response to Lazymeatball re: NYC hotels!

bholdr
06-12-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, here is the situation. Last week I made a date w/ this chick for Wednesday night. She is an attractive (hot, but not super-hot) lawyer. She is very cool and we got along great, but I suspect that when it comes to things like music/books/movies we will not really have enough common interests for there to be a relationship, so I don't see this as gf-potential. Based on the party we met at, I am pretty sure I can hook up if I go out with her (no, I won't be trying to stick it in her pooper), and if that works out I could probably hook up w/ her again on Fri night before heading back to NYC for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday, however, a friend informs me that Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks are playing at the Fillmore on Wed night. Man, I saw their show in Dec '03 and it was amazing. Really great concert. Malkmus rules. Tickets are only $20, too.

So, the question is, go on a date w/ this chick or blow her off (she won't be into going to Malkmus) and probably not end up seeing her at all (I have plans most other days this week and then I'm off to NYC for a couple of weeks).

[/ QUOTE ]

rough life you've got there, diablo. how 'bout taking her out for an early date, and if things look like they're going to end up... screw the concert; screw the girl. if not, make an excuse and go to the show. win-win.

or, you could go out on a limb and see if she would see the show. girls are suprising sometimes. GL either way.

2+2 wannabe
06-13-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You made the decision already - Malkmus

Duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is even close

CallMeIshmael
06-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone willing to pass on ass for a concert, has an abundant supply of ass.

I tip my hat to you, good sir.

TimTimSalabim
06-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Oftentimes, when I listen to a band I really like, I think, wow, this is better than sex. But I'm never being honest with myself when I think that.

sfer
06-13-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, he was f'in at Irving Plaza on Tuesday. I can't believe I missed that. WHY WERENT U WILLIAMSBURG KIDS POSTING ABOUT THAT!?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Billyburgers won't publicly admit to going to Irving. It's owned by Clear Channel after all.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM
This partly depends on which definition of "hook up" you settled on?

NotMitch
06-13-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Laura Cantrell is great, this show might require a trip back east.

sfer
06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Apparently she's got a new CD coming out on Matador. Should be fun.

Yeti
06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I'm gonna wipe my ass with 8 copies of it.

theghost
06-13-2005, 12:54 PM
reschedule for Friday. If that isn't possible, and you're really into this band (ie: they rule), see the band. Random chicks should not outweigh rock.

NotMitch
06-13-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw that when I was checking the show info, I will be out next week to get it. I also found she is playing in SF July 6th so I will get tix for that. This thread has made my day.

jaybee_70
06-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Go see the band. Say hi to my cousin, she's the bass player. Shameless family plug, but we're very proud, and yes they definately kick ass.

Joe