PDA

View Full Version : QJs facing a bet and a raise on the flop

JKDStudent
06-12-2005, 06:08 PM
No reads, this was nearing the end of my first orbit.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="green">Hero... </font>

As soon as I clicked the call button, I knew I should have raised pf, but I wasn't paying attention and thought I was in earlier position than I was (I missed the fact that there was an empty seat). But I didn't think it was a horrible problem because the hand plays well with multiple players. So we'll ignore the pf part.

On the flop, I was happy to see two to the flush. Then I saw a bet, which I wasn't concerned about, but then a raise from the BB. The BB could have anything, including that seven, which put me in trouble. I had to assume that for my hand to be good, I needed to hit my diamond (with a small chance that even THAT wouldn't be good). If I just called two bets, it could still get re-raised and capped behind me. With only three players in the pot (there was no reason for me to assume the player still to act would call), my equity is borderline. If I raised, the player left to act would definitely fold, the initial better might fold, and it still might get capped with no free card for me. If I folded, I would surrender any claim to the pot.

Thoughts?

bozlax
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
If you had the ace of dimes, I'd stay. With only the third-nut flush as your draw, I think you've gotta drop, even though you've got the immediate odds to call.

aK13
06-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Call.

Normally I'd leave my post ending there, but I'm going to start adding some explanations to my posts now, to "improve the state of the forums" =P.

Unless either player has 77, 22, or 72, you're drawing very live. This is pretty narrow range, given their possible hand ranges. You're getting 7:2 on your call, a little low, but with implied odds, this is a definite call. You shouldn't be worried about it being capped behind you, as you have about break even equity (35% to hit by river). Also, you have a very significant chance of winning by spiking a Q or J. SB could be betting a 2 or mid PP, and BB could definitely be raising a mid PP here as well. You are very likely to win this pot, IMO.

einbert
06-12-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call.

Normally I'd leave my post ending there, but I'm going to start adding some explanations to my posts now, to "improve the state of the forums" =P.

Unless either player has 77, 22, or 72, you're drawing very live. This is pretty narrow range, given their possible hand ranges. You're getting 7:2 on your call, a little low, but with implied odds, this is a definite call. You shouldn't be worried about it being capped behind you, as you have about break even equity (35% to hit by river). Also, you have a very significant chance of winning by spiking a Q or J. SB could be betting a 2 or mid PP, and BB could definitely be raising a mid PP here as well. You are very likely to win this pot, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Folding here is pretty bad, imo.

karitek
06-12-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you had the ace of dimes, I'd stay. With only the third-nut flush as your draw, I think you've gotta drop, even though you've got the immediate odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be scared of the monsters under the bed. A flush draw is a strong hand - you don't need the nut one. Definitely call.

Deamon2
06-12-2005, 08:17 PM
the only situations I even think about my fDraw being weak is when there is a 4 flush on the board or I'm looking to back door it