PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop checkup: 3-betting out of the BB

ctv1116
06-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I've been pretty successful at 5/10 (2BB/100 after 50K hands) with a PF strategy where I almost never 3-bet from the BB to a steal-raise without the goods (AA-TT, AK, AQ). Further, when I'm stealing and get 3-bet, I pretty much play fit-or-fold post-flop. Which got me thinking, if I were playing against myself, I should be 3 betting much more often from the BB against a steal raise?

OTOH, IIRC, I remember reading a post by Schneids (apologies to Schnieds if he never said this), which stated that one shouldn't 3-bet without the goods because there was no real reason to wrestle control of the hand out of position. You should just call and let the stealer bluff off a few chips on the flop and turn. Further, one might want to take the approach of this article (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue5/jockusch0505.html), which postulates that you should never 3-bet, and should alternately auto-check-raise any flop which you would otherwise 3-bet PF.

What should be my 3-betting standards versus your typical 30% steal raise TAG but who plays fairly weak postflop?

JrJordan
06-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey Charles,
I've recently started to increase my 3-betting standards as I'm finding that these sorts of players are very willing to let go of their hand with the typical flop bet, turn bet line. I'm down to about A7+, KJo+, 66+ for my standards. After I get some more hands under my belt I'll see if I can find some sort of analysis for it in PT. Long story short though, I'd prefer to 3-bet both my premiums and some marginals, than to just call and c/r the flop with premiums.

sam h
06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
There are other reasons to 3-bet preflop. One is to get more money in with hands that figure to have value over the PFR's range. Another is to discourage people from stealing. Especially if you are good with position, you gain a lot of value over time the more you play the BB heads up against the SB and the less you play it against the button.

I tend to three bet a lot with hands like QJo and JTs but often just call with small pairs and weak aces. I also have started defending the BB a lot more than most players in general.