PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the pot small OOP

jonnyUCB
06-12-2005, 05:02 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($278.30)
Button ($232.45)
SB ($174.60)
Hero ($198.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($9) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Button calls $4.

Turn: ($17) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

River: ($33) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $103

My turn and river play is what I'm concerned with. His preflop min-raise followed by his flatcall of the flop (after a second's pause) made me think he had aces, though a weaker king came into mind. Villian has not been that aggressive in past hands - do I fold this river or make a blocking bet? What's the best line for a hand with showdown value here?

xorbie
06-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Unless you've seen him bet like that with air, I think a river fold is probably in order.

jonnyUCB
06-12-2005, 06:39 PM
So you like check/call small bet?

xorbie
06-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I'll tell you what I really like which is lead out river for $10-$15 or so (if you are going to play the hand this way).

soah
06-12-2005, 07:57 PM
You say you were keeping the pot size small, but what it actually seems that you are doing is letting your opponent decide how big the pot will be.

swolfe
06-12-2005, 08:08 PM
fold preflop

jonnyUCB
06-12-2005, 09:34 PM
6h game. I play 5Ks here

meleader2
06-12-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

i take it u think this is 10 handed....

everyone loves folding preflop instead of being aggressive, or even without looking at the game...AA-22 AK, AKs, AQ, AQs. you will be blinded to death.

Ghazban
06-12-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you what I really like which is lead out river for $10-$15 or so (if you are going to play the hand this way).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is too small (1/3 pot for the bottom of your range) I'd like a river lead of ~$18 planning to fold to a raise.

As far as keeping pots small out of position, how often you checkraise other hands can affect that. If your opponents are afraid you'll checkraise them after leading the flop, they will be more likely to check behind when you want them to. If you frequently check/call or check/fold after leading, you will have a hard time keeping the pot manageable without leading yourself on every street.

Snag
06-12-2005, 10:17 PM
If you're going to play KJ here, and you think you're good - here's an easy way to avoid having to make a tough decision on the river like this - Be aggressive.

Lead the flop for at least $6.

If he calls - lead the turn for at least $15, here - anyone with half a brain is going to A.) fold or B.) raise you.

If they're raising your $15 on the turn - you can be fairly sure you're in trouble.

If they call - again - you can be fairly sure you're in trouble: check/fold or check/call a small river bet.

Bukem_
06-12-2005, 11:16 PM
If you are going to make a very weak probe bet like that on the flop, then you should be done with the hand once he calls you. He either has you beat or is just calling to take the pot away from you later. Either way I wouldn't be too interested in playing the pot oop from there on.

soah
06-12-2005, 11:24 PM
If you're going to give up on the pot with TPGK after taking just one weak stab then you shouldn't be sitting in a four-handed game.

Bukem_
06-12-2005, 11:28 PM
I am only referring to what to do after such a weak lead.

Betting that small is saying thats all the interest(and all your hand is worth) and continuing after that is foolish.

swolfe
06-12-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i take it u think this is 10 handed....

everyone loves folding preflop instead of being aggressive, or even without looking at the game...AA-22 AK, AKs, AQ, AQs. you will be blinded to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 handed or 10 handed, it's makes no difference. it may be a pure steal, but you're going to lose your ass the times it's not. seriously, KJo is not a hand to call a raise with.

if you think he's on a pure steal, then you should reraise.

soah
06-13-2005, 04:30 AM
KJo is enough to see a flop with against a button minraise in a fourhanded game. Obviously if the button has folded for the past fifteen orbits then maybe you can reconsider this, but I'm going to be seeing flops most of the time when I get dealt two broadway cards. And no one ever said that just calling preflop means you forfeit your right to go for a resteal at some point in the deal.

Bukem_
06-13-2005, 04:34 AM
When it goes sh, it makes a huge difference(esp 4 handed). Big cards and unimproved pairs go way up in value.

swolfe
06-13-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When it goes sh, it makes a huge difference(esp 4 handed). Big cards and unimproved pairs go way up in value.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i meant was, a raise from the cut-off is no different if there were 10 hands dealt or 6 or 4.

i didn't realize it was a minraise...disregard my comment /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jonnyUCB
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Villian has 44 for flopped set.

I probably should have lead the turn and folded to a raise though I think I'd still call vs an unknown, who may be trying to get a cheap showdown with a worse hand. Which would still leave me in a bad spot on the river, unless I throw out a block bet.

Thanks for everyones responses