PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot tipping

Ulysses
01-10-2003, 06:43 PM
There was an interesting discussion at the cardroom yesterday. A couple of days before, an $80,000 jackpot was hit and the bad beat guy collected $40,000 (pre-tax).

He tipped $1,000 to the dealer and $100 to the floorman. He also tipped $100 each to three players who were lobbying when the jackpot was hit.

The opinions ranged from "he was very generous" to "what a stiff, he should have tipped the dealer $5,000."

Not that it will ever matter to most of us here, but what do you think the right amount of tokes should be when you hit a $40,000 jackpot payday?

Fitz
01-10-2003, 07:56 PM
If I hit a 40k jackpot, I'd probably tip somewhere between 1000k and 2500 depending upon the situation, dealer, and my mood. I don't think a grand is stiffing them; the guy obviously wasn't out to stiff anybody because he tipped the 3 walking players and the floor which he is under no obligation to do. What did everyone else tip? Even table share of that jackpot had to be big enough to evoke a pretty good tip; that is not to mention the tip from the high hand that got 20k.

I am definitely an advocate of tipping good dealers well. My best friend is a dealer at one of our local riverboats, and I've heard enough stories from him to understand a bit of what dealers go through. As far as tipping 5k on a 40k hit, I might do that if my best friend was dealing and he kept his tips, otherwise, I think it is probably a little excessive.

Just my opinion,

Ed Miller
01-10-2003, 09:42 PM
I hit a jackpot a couple of months ago (the 25% share of $6400). I tipped an amount such that, if the 50% guy tipped twice as much, the dealer would have a player share.

Ray Zee
01-10-2003, 10:50 PM
the jackpot tips were paid along the way each and every pot as it built up when the dollar was taken out. just as most dont like double taxation who wants double tipping.
i would be outraged if i gave someone 1,000 dollars out of my pocket and then was thought of as a stiff. then again i dont think anyone deserves 1000 just because they happened to deal a big hand out.

D.J.
01-11-2003, 12:04 AM
It's like this, a $1,000 is $1,000 I don't care if the guy won 100,000, someone giving another person that they don't even know or care about $1,000 for a tip is very generous. $5K ??? come on now that's crazy for a random person, like the above posts stated, if it's your friend maybe, but the dealer is just some random person that happened to deal the cards a certain way, if they were playing 40-80 the player would probably have cursed them for such a bad beat. That dealer better be damn happy with a $1,000 gift tip, and if the other players are that upset about it, go to the bank and make up the other 4K the guy "owes" the dealer.

-D.J.

DanS
01-11-2003, 01:36 AM
It really pisses me off that I now have to pay $4 per orbit instead of $3 at every 6-12, 9-18, and even 15-30 (at Artichoke Joe's) in the Bay Area except for the two San Jose rooms. When I get frustrated with this, I tell myself I'm gonna do one of two things:

1) Not tip. This ain't gonna happen. I'm not gonna tip $5 every time I hit a gutshot like most of the monkeys in the Bay Area, but I'm gonna tip a buck on most decent pots.

2) I ain't gonna tip if I hit a jackpot. I really hope I have the balls to do this. Richard London, a really good guy who used to work at Lucky Chances, told me that 100% of the jackpot money goes back to players. Fine, maybe that's true, but everywhere else they take an administrative fee, then giveyou a W-2 or whatever and the IRS whacks another 28-40% off. The way I look at it is that if I have to pay for an f'n lotto ticket every 9 (or 5) hands I play, then fine, but when I hit a jackpot where I'm getting 60 cents return on my dollar, I ain't gonna tip the guy who vends the friggin' scratcher ticket. I really hope I have the balls not to tip when I finally when one of hese stupid things.

P.S. The fact that the 15-30 players at AJ's actually VOTED to keep jackpots. What fuckin morons.

ChipWrecked
01-13-2003, 03:06 PM
I had a $970 table share recently and tipped the dealer 50 bucks. That's about 5%, it was free money to me, and I'm a regular face at this club and hate the idea that I might be thought of as "that cheap SOB" when I walk in the door. An insecurity I guess... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif