PDA

View Full Version : Poker School, .... I just failed!

shutupndeal
06-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I was moping around after a qwik losing game that I got out of and have been playin a lot in the last 16 hours so I took time to read my mail and whatever...I have an account on Pacific Poker and I somehow seen the "Poker School" section and took a look at it and it was talking about position and it said that in early position NOT to play the following hands............

Pir of 9's, QK suited AQo

Ok, I can understand the AQo BUT I dont mind it if theres no raise behind me and its a good hand to catch people sleeping on even tho anyone with half a brain better know that I am strong if I limped in early.

The 9's I am playing and while I dontlove em I am prob gonna play em everytime I get in a ring game for 1 bet.

The QKs is that toughest hand for me to understand here, yes its not a killer but it is a Sklansky level 2 hand no?, and being suited it can be a giant if you flop anything close to it no? Especially in those games where 5-6 guys are calling the flop in the lower limits........ so again I am playing it and prob even calling 1 raise BUT I dont love it for 2 bets of course but does anyone think it shouldnt be played for 1 bet in early position?

Dazarath
06-12-2005, 05:04 PM
There have been multiple threads on the subject of AJo and KQo UTG, and people on this forum advocate raising both. Obviously, if you're raising AJo, then you should be raising AQo, and if you're raising KQo, then KQs as well. It seems that a lot of people on this forum also raise 77+ UTG, so that includes 99, of course.

AceHigh
06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Sounds like only fish go to this school.

FWIW, it's probably aimed at inexperienced players and teaching them to play super tight is probably good, cuz they probably play way to loose.

JeffO
06-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Give me an "F"

I'm raising all 3.

AlwaysWrong
06-13-2005, 01:57 AM
The people at Pacific Poker barely even comprehend the RULES of texas hold'em; why would you expect their advice to be anything but junk?

DcifrThs
06-13-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The people at Pacific Poker barely even comprehend the RULES of texas hold'em; why would you expect their advice to be anything but junk?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, these sights make a LOT of money from breakeven/slightly losing/slightly winning and very good players. if it takes a losing player to the tune of -2bb/100 and gets him/her to stop spewing money at that rate, and gets down to breakeven following pacific poker's advice, then PP just earned itself a good deal in expected player contribution. their advice is not designed to take a breakeven player and make them a very good winning one...its designed to the masses whom it stands to earn a good deal more off of if they dont go broke.

either that or they really are trying to write good advice but sucking masterfully at it.

-Barron

TryingHard
06-13-2005, 05:14 AM
I was just wondering if you raise with 99, QKs and AJo UTG and say get three flat callers.. what do you do when you miss the flop, your first to act. Lets take the 99's for example

UTG you raise with 99, three flat callers,
Flop J74

What now?

Escape
06-13-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering if you raise with 99, QKs and AJo UTG and say get three flat callers.. what do you do when you miss the flop, your first to act. Lets take the 99's for example

UTG you raise with 99, three flat callers,
Flop J74

What now?

[/ QUOTE ]

bet...

Leptyne
06-13-2005, 11:48 AM
That's a good question. The basic starting hand requirements that I started with recommended limping with these three hands. The reason given was these hands become more difficult to play if you raise with them. As your skill level increases naturally your ability to play more hands and raise with more hands increases. So that may be good advice for entry level. As your expertise increases you can raise UTG with any cards you're comfortable with. If you don't know what to do when you raise UTG with 99 and the board flops rags then you might not want to go there.

Turning Stone Pro
06-13-2005, 11:53 AM
I raise PF with those 3 hands UTG every time, in every game I play in, no matter how many people are playing, no matter who the competition is.

TSP

davidross
06-13-2005, 12:01 PM
I play all of them UTG in the 15/30 game and according to PT I'm winning .46 bb/h with AQo, .41 with KQs and .28 with 99.

Mempho
06-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Out of curiousity, how many hands do you have from each. I tend to alternate between folding and raising with AJo and KQo UTG. Meanwhile, I limp/raise probably 70/30 with AJs and KQs UTG.

I do not limp with KQo or AJo and tend to fold/raise in a 50/50 ratio depending upon the game and my image (I tend to stay if I'm winning).

I just don't like either hand too much UTG due to the fact that if someone with a 10% or lower PFR raises, I am usually down to at least a 30% shot at winning with all 5 cards and I don't like this situation b/c I must either hit or steal from a hand that missed like AK. These hands just beg for domination and you are OOP.

I also tend to chunk this hand in laggy games b/c I hate this hand for multiple bets preflop and I am OOP, which basically means I am SOL unless I hit and I am still vulnerable unless I hit it hard.

I like the suited version much better (I know, I know) but it gives me another way to win.

Just my two cents.

piggity
06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially in those games where 5-6 guys are calling the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

KQs is an absolute monster in these types of games.

NMcNasty
06-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Are you sure this advice wasn't nolimit? In a high stakes no limit game you should be folding KQs and AQo although you can probably mix it up between calls and raises with 99. I've never heard of anyone advocating folding 99 and AQo from early position in a limit game.

spoohunter
06-14-2005, 03:42 PM
"In a high stakes no limit game you should be folding KQs and AQo"

I suppose you mean tight/tricky game?

NMcNasty
06-14-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"In a high stakes no limit game you should be folding KQs and AQo"

I suppose you mean tight/tricky game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually assume mid-high stakes NL tables (3/6 and up) are fairly tight. If the table is loose and horrible you can go ahead and start playing AQo and KQs utg, but folding is definitely my default play.