PDA

View Full Version : Free reliable anti-virus software?

splashpot
06-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Is there anything out there I can trust. Free if possible. Also, in addition to anti-virus software, what else should I install? Like firewalls, anti-spy software, etc? Thanks.

WWJFergusonD?
06-12-2005, 07:04 PM
avg is a good anti-virus software, zone alarm is a good firewall, and spybot and adaware are good and complementary spyware removal tools. I use them all, and they're all free.

Dangergirl
06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I also recommend Spybot S&D as I've never had a problem with it. For virus scanning the Trend Micro free online scan also works pretty well.

VegasVixen
06-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Microsoft has a free antispyware available here:

MS AntiSpyware Link (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx)

dirty moose
06-13-2005, 01:27 AM
adaware is the ebst for getting rid of spam

oreogod
06-13-2005, 05:12 AM
I'd like to add:
1.Ad-aware
2.Ewido security suite (free, it is really good at finding things ad-aware and norton miss)

As far as anti-virus software, the "honorable" route has been mentioned above, but u can find "free" versions of Norton or Mcafee on Torrentspy.com or piratebay.org. Not advocating it, but just throwing that out there, but Im sure most already know of this anyway.

splashpot
06-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I just remembered that I can get a legal version of Mcafee through my school. Should I be well protected with Mcafee, Zonealarm, and Ad-aware?

WWJFergusonD?
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
You should be fine. I got screwed over by Norton once and refuse to use them. I use McAfee (which updates virus definitions automatically; in fact, they just sent me an e-mail about a month an a half ago to let me know that I should update to their latest version of the product -- this wasn't virus definitions, which are updated automatically every week, but the latest anti-virus product), AVG (just to test McAfee), SpyBot, AdAware, and Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm kicks ass as a fire wall. I would really use SpyBot and AdAware together, though, since SpyBot has found things that AdAware has missed, and vice versa. They are a good combo.

jwp
06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
I've had very good results using Avast's free anti-virus program.

www.avast.com (http://www.avast.com)

JWP