PDA

View Full Version : Poker book question

aaron7484
06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I've been playing NLHE everday since early March. March-May this was primarily tournament style with about 8 friends. Since then it's been a few cash games with friends but mostly online multi- and single-table tournaments. I've watched poker avidly on TV and read numerous articles/talked with friends much better than I am.

During the past week I read my first book on poker, Harrington Vol. 1. While I feel I got a lot out of it, I realized two things: (1) that I'll need to read it again & take notes to fully absorb it and (2) it probably shouldn't have been the first book I read on poker because I'm rarely (if ever) playing against anyone like the opponents he describes. So my question is, what should I read now? And which after that? I've heard the Lee Jones and Sklansky books on low-limit HE would be helpful to someone at my level, but are they more concerned with LHE than NLHE? From there I was planning to read the Theory of Poker and then then Hold 'Em for the Advanced Player with Harrington Vol. 2 sandwiched somewhere in there. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

Greg J
06-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the boards.

This question is probably more suited for the beginner's forum. Not being a jerk: just FYI (you are new after all).

Ed Miller's new book might be a good way to go, but I would bounce this off the folks in Beginner's. Plus just kind of lurk at this site and soak stuff up -- I think this might be one of the best things you can do. This site is a really valuable resourse. Check out the NLHE forums.

Some of those books you mentioned might be a little advanced for a newer player such as yrself, but they are certainly not bad investments if you are serious about poker. TOP is a must have. No, it is THE must have.

Good luck.

aaron7484
06-12-2005, 05:32 PM
thanks for the tip... missed that forum entirely. i've been reading RGP for a good while but there's too much spam. i think i've been converted.

ds914
06-13-2005, 12:22 AM
I'd definitely suggest getting a good grounding in limit hold'em first. I started playing mostly no-limit at first, but then I switched to limit after reading Lee Jones' book (and eventually Ed Miller's). I had a much deeper understanding of the game -- the reason for protecting hands, punishing others when they're on draws, taking advantage of position -- by learning at limit (where your mistakes can cost much less).

Theory of Poker is definitely a must-read no matter which direction you go.

And browse through the forums -- you'll find more nuggets of info here then in a whole library of books.