PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded Omaha/8 (Limit of course)

PokerProdigy
06-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Does anybody have good advice, tips, book recommendations, article recommendations, etc... for playing limit omaha/8 at a short-handed table? And by shorthanded I am referring to 6 or less players.

Buzz
06-12-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody have good advice, tips, book recommendations, article recommendations, etc... for playing limit omaha/8 at a short-handed table? And by shorthanded I am referring to 6 or less players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prodigy -

Ring game: Don't.

Nearing end of Tournament: Very much depends on the specifics of the situation (your stack size relative to your opponents, your assessment of how the others play, your position relative to the blinds, etc.

You have to play ultra aggressively in a ring game with less than six players. And if you do that, unless you're a horrid player, I think you'll usually destroy the game very quickly. Better if you simply wait for the table to fill, or somehow mark time while the table fills.

After a while, or immediately if all the players have experience and are decent players, the game tends to become a tight battle of stealing the blinds, with the house continuously taking a rake.

You start attacking with good one-on-one cards and you defend (your blind) with decent defensive hands, depending on who is doing the attacking. Drawing hands are not nearly as good as in a full game.

Just my experience and opinion.

Buzz

chaos
06-13-2005, 08:36 AM
My motto for short handed preflop play is raise or fold. If you are first in, bring it in for a raise. If someone entered the pot for a raise and you are going to play the hand, then reraise. If someone limped, raise.

You need to adjust you hand selection for hands that play well heads up. You should not be playing hands that only do well in pots with lots of opponents. You will not need the nuts to win. Keep in mind that the object of the game is to scoop pots. You can often win the high half of the pot with some weak hands up like a big pair.