PDA

View Full Version : I love online stats, but hate online play.

RockLobster
01-10-2003, 04:11 PM
How do b&m players track stats? Is there a tool (other than pencil and paper) that allows you to track:
- hands / hour
- % flops seen
- showdowns won
- etc.

I'm thinking along the lines of the baseball umpire clicker-thingy that they use to track balls / strikes / outs. I have a Palm handheld, perhaps there's some software that could do this?

Do people just literally take notes while seated in order to track this sort of thing? Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way(s) to accomplish this?

nanoking
01-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I have a little memopad where I write down:

how marginal hands played out
what/how the others play
particular high variance situations (win or loss)
session length, win/loss, date, time, expenses, etc.

Usually every few orbits I'll scribble inconspicuously. It's been easy to go hide behind a slot machine and write, but I'll just as often push back from the table and write. It's been good for concentration and getting a handle on the other players.

My preflop % is pretty much determined by the opposition, but I guess I could estimate it from my notes. I'm trying to keep a log and acquire some data without getting hung up on "magic numbers" like preflop %. I'll write down questions to post to 2+2, but most of the time writing them and thinking about them they answer themselves. The notetaking has been real helpful in getting my hand reading and people-playing skills up in the game I play in (lots of regulars).

I'd love to have somebody with a clicker counter playing at my table. If you think you can do it without giving yourself away, go for it! As far as handheld computer software goes, what insite/breakthrough are you hoping to get from your data?

RockLobster
01-10-2003, 11:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As far as handheld computer software goes, what insite/breakthrough are you hoping to get from your data?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that's a good question! I haven't played enough to gain any real insight with this info, nor do I feel that it will help my game much at this point. I think I just wanted to know the stats for the sake of knowing them. That sure sounds silly, but it's true. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

I do think that I should keep some basic records for each session, but clearly it's not necessary (for me, anyway) to try and track stats like I was thinking.

steventamm
01-12-2003, 04:45 AM
I wrote a free palm app that keeps track of B&amp;M play. More information about it is at http://poker.ddeuce.com

It's *FREE* so I'm not trying to sell anything. However, I ended up writing the app because I was sick of keeping track of hours and games and such using MemoPad. Currently it tracks location, game, limit, time, buyin, and cashout. It can generate statistics like StdDev and also has graphing.

As far as the level of detail of the tracking here, it has a notes section for each session, but nothing structured. I've never really kept this data, so I'm not sure what the data would be..

But the whole "umpire" click thing makes a ton of sense. I could easily add a counter so that, on a per-session basis, you could click a button (possibly even one of the app keys) every time a hand started, everytime you won, everytime you saw a street and everytime you won or lost. Check out the website and send me email if you have more details of what you're looking for.

-Steven

RockLobster
01-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks Steven, I downloaded the app and will give it a try /forums/images/icons/grin.gif. Once I kick the wheels a bit I'll offer up any thoughts that I can come up with...

Thanks again--