PDA

View Full Version : I think I played this poorly, and I want to know how bad it was

LinusKS
06-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I recently moved up to 5/10, and I'd just sat down. No reads.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ???

I routinely get check raised in these situations. I'd say only a little over half the time does the c/rer actually have a hand. I think it's possible my pair is good.

Reraise, call, or fold?

deucesevenoff
06-12-2005, 01:43 PM
What was your rationale for the raise PF? Were you trying to steal the blinds? If that's the case then fine, but otherwise I do not raise 85s PF.

Flop bet is fine, but when the BB calls I think I'd get nervous. What about checking behind on the turn and then check/calling any non heart river bet?

The pot here is small and I wouldn't want to commit too much money with bottom pair here.

JoshuaD
06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I routinely get check raised in these situations. I'd say only a little over half the time does the c/rer actually have a hand. I think it's possible my pair is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 7:2 to see a showdown, you've got 5 outs to improve to beat him if you're behind a pair, and he's an unknown. Even with your meager holdings I think it may be worth seeing a showdown. I'd be much happier about it if you had a 9 instead.

JoshuaD
06-12-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was your rationale for the raise PF? Were you trying to steal the blinds? If that's the case then fine, but otherwise I do not raise 85s PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since hero posted here and it's folded to him, he should be raising nearly any 2 cards here.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop bet is fine, but when the BB calls I think I'd get nervous. What about checking behind on the turn and then check/calling any non heart river bet?

The pot here is small and I wouldn't want to commit too much money with bottom pair here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're looking too far ahead. People fold to this turn bet really often, and could even fold a 9 here. Making that turn bet is very important to protect yourself from a hand like 2/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif, who just pulled one off to see if they're A high was good.

LinusKS
06-12-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a blind-steal. Checking is inviting a steal, and getting 3:1 odds or better, I'll have to call anyway. I'd rather be betting, and hopefully pick up some fold equity.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't nervous about the flop call. Folks routinely call flop bets with all kinds of hands, especially when they're suspecting a steal (which presumably he would have been.)

I was nervous about giving the free card. My best guess was that I was holding a good, but vulnerable hand, and that he had a lot of draws against me. Although neither one of us would have known what they were - ie, if he was holding a small club, he probably wasn't counting on it as an out.

That said, I'm not saying check, check/calling is wrong. I'll have to thnk on it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]