PDA

View Full Version : A really bad hand

vexvelour
06-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi all. I have to get this stupid game off my chest. I'd also like some insight into what you guys would do in these situations.

Ok, home cash game, 5 players..I just won a huge pot and am chipleader by a good bit. We're playing .50/1.00 NLH. I'm not sure how to lay out the game, so here goes nothing..

SB, BB, P3 calls, I've got A-7d suited and I raise to $2 cause it feels like a lucky hand. Dealer folds, SB calls, BB calls, P3 folds.
Flop comes, Ks, 8s, 7h. SB(jackyl) bets out $1. BB(aggr)calls and raises 2. I call, I know my low pair is very iffy, but I have a really good feeling about it. SB calls and re-raises another $2. BB calls and it's another $2 to me.

Now I want to break here....what would you do?? Think about it before you read the rest of the hand.

Ok, so I think about my 7's and I fold. I figure SB has top pair and BB has a flush draw (which I know he'll pay to chase). Both of those beat my low pair. Turn is a 7s. I folded trips. They both bet out and the river comes 7c. I KNEW dammit I knew that was a good hand.

Should I have listened to my instincts? My poker player mind couldn't agree with my gut and I made a bad fold, obviously. Is this just a case of regret or did I make a bad fold?

Thanks for reading.

Joshssj4
06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got A-7d suited and I raise to $2 cause it feels like a lucky hand

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually play like this you will not be a winning player. Be happy you folded the worst hand at the time. Sometimes you can go with you instincts but instinct in this situation is as good as flipping a coin. What I'm trying to say is that going w/ your instincts in that situation you will lose much more than you win.

Hoopster81
06-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Is this a joke

Sephus
06-12-2005, 02:29 PM
may the force be with you.

jayboo
06-12-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SB, BB, P3 calls, I've got A-7d suited and I raise to $2 cause it feels like a lucky hand. Dealer folds, SB calls, BB calls, P3 folds.
Flop comes, Ks, 8s, 7h. SB(jackyl) bets out $1. BB(aggr)calls and raises 2. I call, I know my low pair is very iffy, but I have a really good feeling about it. SB calls and re-raises another $2. BB calls and it's another $2 to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
The original call on the flop is not one that i would make. It was bet and raised before it got to you and generally bottum pair is no good after a bet and a raise.But since you called the bet and raise you now have $20 pot and it's $2 to you. You have the pot laying 10 to 1 on a hand that is roughly 5 to 1 (assuming you have 5 live outs). You also have implied odds and judging by the action (don't know stack sizes) they are pretty good. So i think a fold here is clearly wrong. But i would never call the original flop action to begin with. Hope this helps Jay
P.S. I don't play hands that feel LUCKY or hunches i play odds and people. You however have every right to gambool it up as much as you like! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vexvelour
06-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Yea I was expecting to be berated on the hunch thing. I understand that for all you "professionals" this seems like an ethical unjust, but this is a shorthanded game, first of all, and secondly, I gotta mix my play up a little.
I realize this isn't A-A, and I know some players like to follow their sixth-sense. I was asking.

alexd231232
06-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Its not as much that you're being berated for the hunch as everyone is trying to show you that its a very bonehead move and somewhat illustrates that your game isnt grounded in basic , stonecold facts. If the bet was being raised and reraised back, i think it's safe to say that one of them already had trips which were most likely higher than your pair of 7's meaning even if you did catch your 7 on the turn, you would be up against a very good looking boat.
Furthermore, you should never let somethine like instinct decide whether or not to call, at least not in the way you describe it here. Instinct can be used if you just know the other guy doesnt have it, if you have such a fundemental tell on him that your gut just tells you, reraise him all in cause you know he'll fold. Instinct, on the other hand, cannot tell you that A7 looks sexy cause you can just feel it hittin big on the flop. It just doenst make any sense whatsoever.

crazygoose
06-12-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't think winning players have a sixth sense or they call it probability. This is why I beat all my friends at the home games we have. Jokes.

vexvelour
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Just for the hell of opposing your instinct argument: I would have been right, correct?

Anyway, I see where you're coming from. However, I am a very good player and have a good groundwork that for the most part doubles me up every game. I understand now that perhaps it was a wishful thinking hand and that perhaps raising pre-flop was a bad decision, let alone betting on the flop. I'm a smart enough poker player to not add this into my "playable" hands just because it would have yielded a huge pot this one hand. Thanks for all the responses.

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-12-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...and I raise to $2 cause it feels like a lucky hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement caused me to stop reading right there. It matters not how you played this, or any other hand. If you think like this, it will cause you to lose a lot of money (or win a lot less than you could).

Forget the hand, fix the head. There is no such thing as luck, just variance.

d10
06-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I remember one time I had 6s3s in EP and normally I auto-fold this hand, but for some reason I paused for a second and thought "I think I should play this." Then I thought "Wait a second, what the hell am I talking about? 63s?" Fold. The flop came out 2s4s5s and it turns out someone had a suited As. And I thought to myself "That certainly is interesting." But I didn't think too much about it because I knew that unless I was in the BB or otherwise posted a full small bet, there's no way I'm going to ever see a flop with 6s3s. I don't know why I had the unusual urge to play it incorrectly, nor do I really care. The fact that I would have flopped a monster means nothing, because nobody has instincts in that way. People can't tell the future. It was a coincidence.

If you don't believe this, or if even a small part of you believes that the 7c that fell on your turn has anything to do with that feeling you got about the hand, don't play poker for any serious money, and don't expect to win when you play for whatever stakes you do play for. There is a good reason why people who believe things like this end up in financial ruin and at GA meetings. There is also a good reason why the people on this site - who for the most part base their play on proper game theory and ONLY proper game theory - fill their bank accounts every month with the money of the first group.

Bodhi
06-13-2005, 03:23 AM
I am not supersticious. Are you?