PDA

View Full Version : Aces up faced with 2 bets cold on the turn

DrewOnTilt
06-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi all! My first post in the HUSH forum. I've not played much short-handed, but a live game that I just moved into gets shorthanded in the early morning hours but is still quite good. I'm going to dedicate some time to learning good short-handed play.

Here's a hand that had me lost today. UTG is a solid, decent player. I had been at the table with him for several hours at this point, had played 20-25 rounds heads-up, and felt he would not bet or raise without a good chance of showing down a good hand. SB is also a decent player. These guys were not pros but not donks either.

Here we go:
Hero has the button with A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG limps, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls

Flop 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif
3 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB says, "Okay, I'm gonna take a shot at this one," and leads out betting. UTG raises.

What's my line here? I understand that aces up/jack kicker is a strong hand short handed, but I don't like being faced with 2 big bets cold. I know that in a short-handed game, sometimes I will have to grit my teeth and call down, but I'm not used to coldcalling when I'm not sure where I am.

What's my line?

pshabi
06-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Wow, this is a tough one.

What about a 3-bet? If it's capped, you know someone has a 7. Could you still peel to try and hit a two outer or do you just fold to a cap?

My real intention to 3-bet here would be to then check the river through assuming no one caps.

This is probably wrong, but someone can tell me that it is and we'll all learn.

imported_CaseClosed326
06-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I lean towards fold/call. Can we safely assume one of them has the seven? I am by no means any good at poker, so you should probably wait for someone more experienced to reply.

fyodor
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Only way you are ahead here (given player descriptions) is if UTG believes SB is bluffing and SB is bluffing.

If it was 5/10 Party I call. Given it's not, I fold.