PDA

View Full Version : possible difference between players at different levels

Wynton
06-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Recently I was able to bluff successfully with a check/raise on the flop at 2/4 in a way that I think perhaps I could not have at higher levels.

I can't remember the precise details, but I think I had raised the flop utg with something like J10s, and very loose player to my left called. We were headsup on the flop. Flop was QQ3. I checked, certain he was going to bet. Then I raised, and he folded.

But setting aside the details of this hand, my point is that I was relatively sure that this player would assume that my check/raise meant I had a very strong hand, even trips. On the other hand, at higher levels I would think that most players would assume that, if I had real strength, I would wait until a later street to raise.

Is there any validity to the idea that stronger players recognize that other players will not raise with strong hands until later streets (headsup), whereas weaker players fail to recognize that?

reb
06-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Strong players recognize your tendencies, if you only checkraise with draws and complete bluffs on the flop they will pick up on that so I guess it wouldn't work. You should however mix it up against strong thinking players, I checkraise quite often with good holdings on the flop against players I know probably thinks I only checkraise with draws and bluffs. The higher the level the more good players you will face (with some exceptions) so I guess it will work less the higher the level if you don't mix it up.

IGMorton
06-12-2005, 12:41 PM
i found it a good read. perhaps the article is really aimed at the more thinking players in 5/10 and above? it's not specifically on the turn check-raise though

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/jason-pohl10.htm

i seem to be finding 2 extremes of players at 2/4: the uber lag fish and the tight players who probably come from full ring. the uber-loosies will call with indifference making any sort of bluffing worthless. the tight players simply fold on the flop every time they don't catch top or middle pair on the flop. i can't seem to bluff those guys either /images/graemlins/frown.gif