PDA

View Full Version : Big pair in the blind

42 Mr. Pink
01-10-2003, 10:35 AM
I typically play micro limits online and low limit in brick and mortar establishments.
I have been fortunate lately to frequently be dealt big pairs (TT, JJ, QQ) in my blinds. However, it has been a blessing in disguise.

I am a little unsure what to do with them. From my experience in LL games, inevitably 3 or 4 people will limp-in and I’m left with the choice – check (or complete the sb), raise or fold.

When I raise, typically all limpers will call. Resulting in 8-12 sb in the pot. If the flop comes with an over card – I’m paralyzed. If it’s a ragged flop there is enough in the pot to make flush/str8 draws, draw.

When I check (or complete) and I get a ragged flop, anyone with an overcard continues to draw.

My first inclination is to be aggressive, raise preflop and come out firing on the flop. Make them pay to draw. Perhaps I’m being a little short sighted, but this has become a serious leak. Well, let’s be honest, it’s been a hole in the bucket lately.

What is the proper strategy for long term benefit?

All comments welcome, Thanks.

rigoletto
01-10-2003, 10:56 AM
For the reasons you state I will usually only raise QQ from the blinds. If there are no overcards on the board I'll fire with all three of these hands. With QQ I'll bet out against ovecards, remember the overcards looks scary to the limpers too, but usually check fold the turn against more then one of the typical low limit 'any A will do' player (provided the turn doesn't give me a hand or a good draw).

I'm not sure if this is the right way, so others please comment.