PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Play Style

kyleb
06-12-2005, 07:02 AM
I have read Ray Zee's book cover to cover as a previously winning Stud/8 player on PokerStars (loved the low antes there, plus burning bonuses was easy playing Stud/8) and eventually converted into a PLO/8 player due to profitability on Eurobet/Party. His book was really insightful, and after re-reading Theory of Poker, I feel I have a very good grasp on postflop play and my overall strategy to the game.

However, I would like a little bit of insight to what other approaches players are using on the site. I just started a few days ago playing PLO/8, and my PTO database only has 1527 hands in it right now, but I've been winning a decent amount. 3.17bb/100 is nothing great at PLO/8, but I took a lot of beats in today's session that really lowered it.

Anyway, I digress. My play strategy is mostly a "build a pot" theory by making small raises with any three parts to a wheel or A2xx double suited, or other high-value hands preflop, and then putting in medium bets on the flop with a very good drawing hand or a made hand. My friend has referred to it more than once as "nut peddling," and it seems like a very good way to approach the game. It's very tight and not very aggressive, but I'm not sure that aggression is really rewarded at PLO/8.

What is your approach to the game, and what is your commentary to so-called "nut peddling" in PLO/8, especially on Party skins?

Thanks for the help!