PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones Jr vs. Marvin Hagler

bernie
06-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Both in primes. Hagler being a very powerful switch hitter against the power of Jones.

This would've been a good fight.

b

Alobar
06-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Jones. His speed was crazy

bernie
06-12-2005, 05:35 AM
So was his power. One of the most powerful punchers I've ever seen. The guy could swat.

I think it'd be an interesting fight. Hagler was also very intelligent. It might actually turn into a chess match/boring fight. Like a pitchers duel in baseball.

I don't see it as a slugfest.

b

Blarg
06-12-2005, 05:51 AM
I would have loved to see that.

pergesu
06-12-2005, 06:27 AM
You can't knock Hagler down. He'd wear Jones down and knock the quickness out of him, then just pound him to death.

PokerFink
06-12-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jones. His speed was crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones was completely untouchable in his prime.

Sincere
06-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Im w/ Jones. In his Prime he was the quickest and most explosive puncher I've ever seen along w/ Tyson in his prime. When he smoked Montel Griffin in there 2nd fight, that was one of the greatest things I've ever seen in a boxing ring. Absolutely smoked him.

LargeCents
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jones was completely untouchable in his prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pound for pound the greatest boxer EVER.

Give him his gold medal back!

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Has it been mentioned that Hagler & jones aren't in the same weight class? Jones was bigger. Hagler fought people that moved up to fight him. Although very fast, I don't think he's faster than the smaller guys Hagler fought. With that said, Hagler was fighting smaller guys that didn't hit as hard as Jones. Hagler was always one of my favorites as a kid, and i hate Roy Jones, but I'm going with Jones on this one.

Sporky
06-13-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't knock Hagler down. He'd wear Jones down and knock the quickness out of him, then just pound him to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones gave plenty of people their first taste of canvas, but i'll admit that i haven't seen many Hagler fights.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Was just reading the 2005 Ring magazine almanac, and it featured two articles that mentioned Jones prominently.

One mentioned his body-punch knock-out, which they said was one of the best body-punch knock-outs ever, of Virgil Hill. And the other one was titled, "The Roy Jones Era is OVER." [emphasis not mine]

Very interesting, that last article. The almanacs are almost always worth buying.

tinhat
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that i haven't seen many Hagler fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Treat yourself to Hagler/Hearns if you've never seen it. It's short, only 3 rounds. But 3 of the most thrilling rounds of boxing you could ever hope to see...

utmt40
06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Pound for pound I have to agree that Jones is the best fighter.

bernie
06-13-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has it been mentioned that Hagler & jones aren't in the same weight class? Jones was bigger. Hagler fought people that moved up to fight him. Although very fast, I don't think he's faster than the smaller guys Hagler fought. With that said, Hagler was fighting smaller guys that didn't hit as hard as Jones. Hagler was always one of my favorites as a kid, and i hate Roy Jones, but I'm going with Jones on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were the same weight class. Jones fought as a middleweight and a Super middleweight in his prime. If they were in the same era, they'd have most likely fought each other.

b

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both in primes. Hagler being a very powerful switch hitter against the power of Jones.

This would've been a good fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they fought in Roy's true weight class, I don't think Hagler would stand a chance.

Sporky
06-13-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Treat yourself to Hagler/Hearns if you've never seen it. It's short, only 3 rounds. But 3 of the most thrilling rounds of boxing you could ever hope to see...

[/ QUOTE ]

i've seen that fight. they pounded on each other pretty good.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They were the same weight class. Jones fought as a middleweight and a Super middleweight in his prime. If they were in the same era, they'd have most likely fought each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was partly wrong. I thought Jones' stint as a middleweight was briefer than is was. He fought as a middleweight and super-middleweight for like 5 years before fighting exclusively as a super middleweight for a couple, then moving up to fight at light heavyweight for seven years. And of course the heavyweight thing. But his prime years were as a light heavyweight, where he unified titles and held it longest.

Hagler fought his whole career as a middleweight.

bernie
06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Hagler was a prototype natural middleweight. He also got dogged in his career as no one would give a southpaw a shot at the title. So he had to learn how to fight right handed. Which made him that much better. It took nearly 50 fights for him to finally get his shot. 50 fights is a long time to wait.

Jones' prime years included some light heavy, it wasn't exclusive to it. He began his prime years before he moved up.

b

Alobar
06-13-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But his prime years were as a light heavyweight, where he unified titles and held it longest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont consider those his prime years. He had no real opponents and started becoming a head case. I'll always remember jones best watching him fight as a middle and super middle weight.

Jeff W
06-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I think you're all underestimating Hagler. If both fought at Middleweight, I take Hagler. There is a strong case for him being the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.

RicktheRuler
06-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I have to agree that his prime years were not as a Light/Heavy weight, he is definitely a natural middleweight.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree that his prime years were not as a Light/Heavy weight, he is definitely a natural middleweight.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He wouldn't have moved up to light heavy if he sould have stayed lighter. There's no real money at light heavy relative to middle or even super middle. There are no name fights at that weight. He moved up because he was having trouble making weight. His body matured. He's a natural light heavy.

judgesmails
06-13-2005, 05:09 PM
I like Jones. His combination of defense and power are the best I have ever seen. I was a big Hagler fan as a kid, but I have yet to see a boxer who I think could beat Jones when he was in his prime.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Jones. His combination of defense and power are the best I have ever seen. I was a big Hagler fan as a kid, but I have yet to see a boxer who I think could beat Jones when he was in his prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

And let's not forget Jones going out and playing a semi-pro basketball game the day of a title defense. That's just nuts!

tinhat
06-13-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're all underestimating Hagler. If both fought at Middleweight, I take Hagler. There is a strong case for him being the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on your side. Tied with all-time title defenses IIRC (after the bs fight with Leonard). He was a tough, mean m'fer and it's fitting that him and Marciano share the same hometown....

Mike

Blarg
06-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I've got great respect for how seriously he took the game, too. That guy would isolate himself and really train hard. A definite warrior.

bernie
06-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Natural Super middle. He's having a little problem with Lt Heavy. He'd like to go Heavy but it would be quite a stretch for him.

There is, in general, more money the higher weight class you go up. Unless someone is huge as a draw from a lesser weight. No one fits that category in the mids or s. mids when he was there.

Btw...Speaking of no-name fights, who did Jones fight in those classes that was really worth a crap? Toney maybe. I don't remember him being in too many big marquee matchups in those divisions.

b

Sporky
06-14-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Btw...Speaking of no-name fights, who did Jones fight in those classes that was really worth a crap? Toney maybe. I don't remember him being in too many big marquee matchups in those divisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's his fight schedule through 1997. i think the problem was that he dominated the fighters so hard it made pretty much everyone look bad. Hopkins and Toney went the distance with him, but i didn't think they boxed better at all.

August 7 Montell Griffin KO 1 Ledyard, CT
March 21 Montell Griffin LDQ 9 Atlantic City, NJ
November 22 Mike McCallum W 12 Tampa, FL
October 4 Bryant Brannon KO 2 New York, NY
June 15 Eric Lucas TKO 2 Jacksonville, FL
January 12 Merqui Sosa TKO 2 New York, NY
September 30 Tony Thornton TKO 3 Pensacola, FL
June 24 Vinny Pazienza TKO 6 Atlantic City, NJ
March 18 Antoine Byrd TKO 1 Pensacola, FL
November 18 James Toney W 12 Las Vegas, NV
May 27 Thomas Tate TKO 2 Las Vegas, NV
March 22 Danile Garcia KO 6 Pensacola, FL
November 30 Fermin Chirino W 12 Pensacola, FL
August 14 Thulane Maligna KO 6 St. Louis. MO
May 22 Bernard Hopkins W 12 Washington, DC
February 13 Glenn Wolfe TKO 1 Las Vegas, NV
December 5 Percy Harris KO 4 Atlantic City, NJ
August 18 Glenn Thomas TKO 8 Pensacola, FL
June 30 Jorge Castro W 10 Pensacola, FL
April 3 Art Serwano TKO 1 Reno, NV
January 10 Jorge Vaca KO 1 New York, NY
August 31 Lester Yarbrough KO 9 Pensacola, FL
August 3 Kevin Daigle TKO 2 Pensacola, FL
April 13 Ed Evans TKO 1 Pensacola, FL
January 31 Ricky Stackhouse KO 1 Pensacola, FL
November 8 Reggie Miller KO 5 Pensacola, FL
September 25 Rollin Williams KO 4 Pensacola, FL
July 14 Tony Waddles KO 1 Pensacola, FL
May 11 Ron Johnson KO 2 Pensacola, FL
March 28 Knox Brown TKO 3 Pensacola, FL
February 28 Billy Mitchum TKO 2 Pensacola, FL
January 8 Joe Edens KO 2 Mobile, AL
November 30 David McCluskey TKO 3 Pensacola, FL
September 3 Ron Amundsen TKO 7 Pensacola, FL
June 11 Stephen Johnson TKO 8 Atlantic City, NJ
May 6 Ricky Randall TKO 2 Pensacola, FL

All of his fights (http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fighters/jonesjr/record.shtml)

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Natural Super middle. He's having a little problem with Lt Heavy. He'd like to go Heavy but it would be quite a stretch for him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Having a problem at Lt Hvy? He's been fighting at that weight for like 7 years! He's just over the hill. It's not the weight. He's fought at Hvy, but it's just a gimmick thing for the money.

[ QUOTE ]
There is, in general, more money the higher weight class you go up.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true. There's more money at Heavyweight than anything else, but there's not more $$$ in Lt Hvy than Middle.

Sporky
06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true. There's more money at Heavyweight than anything else, but there's not more $$$ in Lt Hvy than Middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard cruiserweights don't make much in comparison to some of the lighter weights also.

jakethebake
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard cruiserweights don't make much in comparison to some of the lighter weights also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. Cruiserweight is basically a made up class since heavyweights started getting so big. It used to be the Heavies started at like 185 pounds and the biggest were like 230 or so. But since more and more of them were bigger and bigger, they didn't like the 185 pounder up against a 275+ pounder so they invented the cruiserweight.

Blarg
06-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, we're all ingesting so many hormones and getting so much better nutrition that we're breeding men as big as trees these days. They pretty much had to do it.