PDA

View Full Version : Instances of raising to isolate.

imported_Reaction
06-12-2005, 04:06 AM
I know this is a general question (And it may be obvious) but….
Whom does hero want to isolate? LAG? SLAP? LP?
What are the best table conditions? TP?
What PF hand standards does hero use? (Probably depends)
How much does overall position play in hero’s decision?
Anyone have good hand examples?
What are general thoughts when played back upon from differing styles?
Any other thoughts?

Just another aspect I am trying to get a handle on.

handsome
06-12-2005, 04:19 AM
The point of isolating is to decrease the number of opponents, preferrably down to one. You should always look for LPP tables. Yo, you have too many questions. Buy a copy of SSH and read it til you're sick of limit.

ajrenni
06-12-2005, 09:13 AM
The answers to most of these questions are obviously "it depends," but here are some of my thoughts.

The point of isolating is to get a loose player, who could have a wide range of hands, heads up. This could be a loose aggressive player who raises a lot with hands like A4s or 55 and has raised, or maybe one really weak limper who could have just about anything. You want a hand that plays well HU (e.g. AQ, KQ, or a pocket pair). If you hit the flop, you will probably be a big favorite, and you may have your opponent dominated. If you miss the flop, you may be able to take the hand anyway, since the flop is less likely to hit one opponent and you have position.

When thinking about position, remember that there are players to act behind you, so the more likely they are to call and ruin your HU party, the less likely you should be to try it. The earlier your position, the more players behind you who might call. Loose players behind you, especially in the blinds, ruin this play. The situation is not so bad if you are suited, but you really don't want to face 3 opponents with 88 or AJ.

Also, when dealing with a LAG who has raised, keep in mind that LAGs do get quality hands sometimes. Think not only about the range of hands he would raise with but what position he is in when he raises them. A lot of players are bold when first in from MP but are not nearly as aggressive in EP.