PDA

View Full Version : A2 suited in small blind facing a preflop raise

Hojglad
06-11-2005, 10:58 PM
I thought this hand was sort of interesting. Normally, I'd check on the turn, but the guy who initially bet the flop has been getting out of line, and I have put him in his place a couple of times. I'm not sure how much I like my flop checkraise, as it's pushing a very, very small edge. However, I figured that doing it would give me a bit of fold equity on the turn. This is good, as the pot is pretty big. Comments on all streets are appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, Button folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

What do you do here, and why?

davelin
06-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I would've bet the flop.

shadow29
06-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Bet flop.

Check call turn.

Pwn with river club.

Shillx
06-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Err checking the turn is pretty weak in this spot. Even if you didn't have any folding equity I would still bet for image sake. Check/raising the flop and then check/calling the turn after it gets HU is a dead giveaway as to what you hold. Anyway, I lead out on the flop with this hand and it is 100% for value. If the button raises, I consider just calling the raise and then lead out again if I make the flush and check/call otherwise.

Brad

Hojglad
06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check/raising the flop and then check/calling the turn after it gets HU is a dead giveaway as to what you hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what I thought. There is no way I'm winning this pot without another club or rivering an ace.

gvibes
06-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Definitely lead the flop.

I would lead the turn as well.

TomBrooks
06-12-2005, 03:26 AM
You check/call the turn because you don't have enough opponents to bet for value and I don't think you can get him to fold. I'd say there is a good chance he made something on the flop. You could be ahead if he is on a lower flush draw, but that is less likely.

Hojglad
06-14-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You check/call the turn because you don't have enough opponents to bet for value and I don't think you can get him to fold. I'd say there is a good chance he made something on the flop. You could be ahead if he is on a lower flush draw, but that is less likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you bother to read my initial post about how this guy gets out of line? I ended up betting the turn and he folded. MHIG.

Bodhi
06-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Fold preflop.

aK13
06-14-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised more people haven't railed him for this yet.

@bsolute_luck
06-14-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/shocked.gif i think there's enough people in this hand to make playing this from SB profitable

aK13
06-14-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/shocked.gif i think there's enough people in this hand to make playing this from SB profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting about 4:2 immediate, and his A is probably no good. This is a fold in my book, but I'm interested in other opinions.

DeathDonkey
06-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Since most ignored your (good) question, I'll say I think I agree with you that this is a spot to lead the turn no matter what it is. I will, however, echo that I would have led at the flop hoping to trap a bunch of guys in between myself and the button.

The preflop is routine so glad you didn't fold there.

-DeathDonkey

TomBrooks
06-15-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you bother to read my initial post about ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I did, although I may have missed something. I reread it, but I'm still not sure how you feel BB's "getting out of line" justifies your turn checkraise. Do you think A high is going to beat him? Also, I don't understand what "fold equity" is.

Aaron W.
06-15-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting about 4:2 immediate, and his A is probably no good. This is a fold in my book, but I'm interested in other opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting 5.5:1.5, which is 3.7:1. This is significantly better than 2:1. With the two limpers very likely to call, Hero is getting much closer to 7.5:1.5 or 5:1.

Furthermore, a button raise does not make your A no good.

Bodhi
06-15-2005, 03:08 AM
If hero was in the BB he would obviously call. But hero is in the SB so:

We have the worst position postflop (in this case our position relative to the raiser looks good)
We're paying 3/4 of a BB to see the flop

If we knew the villains were terrible and will pay off multiple bets if we hit our hand, then I can see calling. But most of the time there's just not much to be gained here.

Hojglad
06-15-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I reread it, but I'm still not sure how you feel BB's "getting out of line" justifies your turn checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't check-raise the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think A high is going to beat him?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, he is a stupid donk that likes to get out of line.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't understand what "fold equity" is.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the equity in a pot that you pick up when it is reasonably likely that your opponent will fold, leaving the pot all to your greedy little mittens. In this case, I own him, and he knows I own him. You'll have to trust me on this one - I had taken a few pretty large pots off of him with marginal holdings. There is no way he calls me down with middle or bottom pair.

Eeegah
06-15-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's the equity in a pot that you pick up when it is reasonably likely that your opponent will fold, leaving the pot all to your greedy little mittens. In this case, I own him, and he knows I own him. You'll have to trust me on this one - I had taken a few pretty large pots off of him with marginal holdings. There is no way he calls me down with middle or bottom pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this have double meaning in poker? I know in tournaments (and SnGs in particular) there exists fold equity inasmuch as when your folding allows other players to beat up on each other (their elimination increases the odds of you being ITM).