PDA

View Full Version : All-Star ballots are a joke

Teddy
01-10-2003, 01:23 AM
I can't believe the players I see near the top of the All-Star ballots each year... Last year, when Vince was top vote getter, I thought it was insane, but now I just think it's plain embarrasing that he's in the top couple... Who actually looks at their ballot, and punches the names of some of these guys??.. The media needs to start really downplaying this so-called "honour" of being voted to start the All-Star game or the NBA needs to do something about making it known that it is simply a popularity contest... I guess that's what the all NBA teams are for, but what about all midseason teams or something?

Wildbill
01-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Why is it that important? Its been a farce in every sport for a long time and yeah of course its a popularity contest. The whole point is that this is a showcase of the players the fans want to watch. They only pick the starters anyways and everyone who makes it plays so its not that much of a big deal. After all no one cares about the All-Star game as it is, why make it mean more than it does?

Teddy
01-10-2003, 10:33 AM
I guess it just came up for me during this weeks hall of fame inductions in baseball... I kept reading about all of these players who should have gotten in based on some of their stats, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud when the writers made such a big deal out of All-Star appearances.. The stat definitely carries some weight after retirement in every major sport