PDA

View Full Version : Kimchi and healthy bowels

woodguy
06-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I often go to the local Farmer's Market on the weekends to buy fresh produce, meats etc.

One of the booths is a bunch of homemade Korean stuff, made by, you guessed it, a Korean couple.

Their Kimchi is amazing. Hotter and tastier than what I am used to in some good Korean restraunts.

They also have pre-marinated Bul-go-gi and Bul-gal-bi in airtight packages . *drool*

Anyhow, the proprietor of tke Korean stand was telling me that Koreans, on average, experienced LESS bowel disease due to kimchi in their diet than other ethnic groups.

He also said that they on aveage experience more hypertension than any other asian group due to the heavy salt in the kimchi as well.

Does anyone know if these claims are true?

Regards,
Woodguy

Blarg
06-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of that was true.

Japanese also have stomach cancer at an insane multiple of how often Americans get it, which is all the more peculiar if you consider how much healthier their diet generally is.

The anomaly is supposedly explained by the massive amount of pickled vegetables they eat compared to Americans. Indians do that too -- eat a ton of pickled veggies as a matter of course. Anyway, the salt in pickles is a big contributor to hypertension, and if I recall correctly, supposedly contributes to the high rate of Japanese stomach cancer, along with some of the pickling spices. Sounds pretty much like the Kimchi situation, too.

I love Kimchi too. Stuff sure can make your sweat stink and can make me crank out a fart tornado for the next few days. All that garlic + cabbage is an extremely potent combo.

I'm skeptical about that less bowel disease part. Could just be a folk medicine claim.

Skipbidder
06-11-2005, 10:45 PM
It depends on what you mean by bowel disease.

Folks in the US probably get more diverticular disease than world average because of low fiber diets.

Picked meats and vegetables are associated with higher incidences of gastric (stomach) cancer. Asian countries with diets high in these items have much higher rates of these cancers (but lower rates of colon cancer).

In the US, it is cost effective to screen for colon cancer, but not for stomach cancer. In Japan, it is cost effective to screen for gastric cancer.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Eat your kimchee in moderation if you like it.

Blackjack
06-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Kimchi is amazing. Korean food has to rank near the top of the list for me.. at least Korean BBQ.

The acid and stuff surely adds to the fart stink ratio.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Garlic and fermented cabbage are the perfect recipe for what P.J. O'Rourke called "throat-searing kimchee burps" and "pants-splitting kimchee farts" in his funny piece on his travels in Korea.

woodguy
06-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Good info guys.

So basically, like all good things, too much is too much.

That, and Kimchi is one of the best producers of malodourous bowel gases.

Regards,
Woodguy

poot
06-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Koreans lie... They like to tell stories in their favor!

Kimchi is prob acidic..(fermented cabbage) and your body works better in an alkanline enviro. Every time your body is stressed you produce acid.. lactic acid..crunchy knots on your shoulder..It's better to balance out your PH level with alkaline foods.

PLUS i know tons of Koreans with Stomache problems.

lies lies lies-baby! Don't believe the hype!