PDA

View Full Version : Tasty & Healthy Dinners

tbach24
06-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Fish (salmon, haddock are good)
Boca Burgers
Smart Dogs

All w/ salad w/ light dressing (Paul Newman's since he pwns)

Thought I'd share since some of you are on diets

Any others that are easy to make you'd guys like to share?

06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Post deleted by Dynasty

pshreck
06-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Light cream cheese on toasted wheat bread (sandwhich style). Have a few pickles with it. About 200 calories total, pretty good meal.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love pokah

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokah pokah pokah?

Blarg
06-11-2005, 09:07 PM
What's a Boca Burger? Or a Smart Dog?

pshreck
06-11-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a hamburger and not a hotdog.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boca Burgers- healthier, tasty, meatless burgers (http://www.bocaburger.com/main.aspx?s=&m=index)

Smart Dog is basically the same but only for hot dogs

MorningStar also makes very good meatless products

Burt Reynolds
06-11-2005, 09:11 PM
What's with all the damn moderation ? Everything is being deleted.

pshreck
06-11-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, even I dont get this one.

jason_t
06-11-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Light cream cheese on toasted wheat bread (sandwhich style). Have a few pickles with it. About 200 calories total, pretty good meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I normally do this without pickles but with sounds delicious.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen the WSOP/WPT event he was in, but I'm guessing that Danny Nguyen got very lucky being really aggressive and won a giant pot and said "I love pokah" or somethign like that.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm scared of those fake meat things. They were so disgusting when I had them in high school.

I hear they've gotten way better, but I'm suspicious, because I had vegetarian friends tell me how delicious the awful ones were back in the day.

The Stranger
06-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Fried chicken.
Biscuits and gravy.
Chili.
Cole slaw.

A slice of chocolate cream pie for desert.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm scared of those fake meat things. They were so disgusting when I had them in high school.

I hear they've gotten way better, but I'm suspicious, because I had vegetarian friends tell me how delicious the awful ones were back in the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't given the Morningstar stuff a shot and I was also quite skeptical of boca's and smart dog's, but I've been pleasantly surprised. You just have to not expect the real thing and condiment them up.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fried chicken.
Biscuits and gravy.
Chili.
Cole slaw.

A slice of chocolate cream pie for desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asking for dinner, not snack time.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I normally do this without pickles but with sounds delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good stuff, but cream cheese is supposedly almost entirely non-nutritional calories from fat. I remember seeing a dietician state that she just counts it as pure fat in a diet plan, because there's so little protein or anything else worthwhile in it.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Is butter better then? I prefer butter to cream cheese anyways.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 09:42 PM
I don't know about better, but I think butter is usually just regarded as a fat source anyway, so it's not something you eat for health benefits, but just because you like it or like cooking in it. I hear it's much better than margarine, so I use butter too, but sparingly. Maybe a better comparison would be to another type of cheese with more protein, or something that functions more as food than condiment.

For a condiment or whatever, I've gotten into using olive oil more now. It doesn't taste nearly as good as butter, and I can't get into dipping bread in it like the Italians do as a substitute for butter. It's just not that great. But it's supposedly actually very good for you, helping elevate the levels of HDL cholesterol and lower the levels of LDL cholesterol, so I use it more in cooking and salads.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:44 PM
For condiment I meant mustard, ketchup, relish, diced onions, etc.

benfranklin
06-11-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a gimmick account using the name of the guy who won the WPT at Shooting Star last week. Bunch of postings on various forums in supposedly broken English (and obviously bad taste).

Props to the new moderators. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jason_t
06-11-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is butter better then? I prefer butter to cream cheese anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cream cheese on wheat bread pwns butter on wheat bread.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
I love cream cheese. I just used to think it was healthier than I guess it really is.

I pile it on, too, like I was making a cheese sandwich, not barely skimming it over the bread like I would with mustard or butter. Fair amount of fat that way, but if I'm going to eat high-fat stuff, I'm going to eat enough to really enjoy it and get my fill or not do it at all.

Russ McGinley
06-11-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the Morningstar Farms Grillers original and they taste very good. Their breakfast patties taste terrible but that's another story. Boca's breakfast patties taste good too.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Okay, maybe I'll give some of this stuff a try again if I see it in the store. Mexicans don't eat a lot of tofu, and I live in a Mexican area, so I doubt I'll see it without going out of my way to look for it, though.

I know the taste of tofu stuff can vary widely. There's this one company that makes all kinds of tofu cheese slices, and I love the Jalapeno and can't stand the others.

tbach24
06-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Any more suggestions?

Also, are the following foods good for me?

Banana
Lowfat Yogurt
Bowl (3 cups) of cereal (special K, honey nut cheerios, corn pops) w/ 1% milk
1/2 bagel w/o topping
Bag of lowfat popcorn

CallMeIshmael
06-12-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love cream cheese. I just used to think it was healthier than I guess it really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cream cheese I use has 0.3g of fat per serving.

As long as you are using light (preferably ultra-light) varieties, it is not a fatty food.

CallMeIshmael
06-12-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any more suggestions?

Banana
Lowfat Yogurt
1/2 bagel w/o topping
Bag of lowfat popcorn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

With corn pops with, perhaps, too much sugar. But, im pretty sure they are classified as fat free. So, as long as you exercise to burn the carbs, they should be fine.

Aytumious
06-12-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any more suggestions?

Banana
Lowfat Yogurt
1/2 bagel w/o topping
Bag of lowfat popcorn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

With corn pops with, perhaps, too much sugar. But, im pretty sure they are classified as fat free. So, as long as you exercise to burn the carbs, they should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fat free isn't that great when you are basically consuming sugar. Corn Pops are not healthy.

CallMeIshmael
06-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Fast food type places:

- Subway
- Pita Pit
- Take out pasta (no meat sauce)
- Take out sushi
- Frozen Yogurt (anyone ever been to a tasty-d-lite?)

^ my school diet

You can generally find some french fries that, when baked, are pretty low in fat (like 7g's for a pretty big plate)

Turkey makes good things: sausage, bacon, and burgers.

Phoenix1010
06-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Eating Boca Burgers and Smart Dogs in the same meal isn't a great idea. They're almost exactly the same thing, despite tasting slightly different. By eating the same thing twice, you're not balancing your nutrition. Have some rice or cous cous (or perhaps a baked potato) on the side to go with the salad, fish, and Boca. Another good side dish is corn on the cob with margarine.

tbach24
06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
They're seperate dinners. Like, boca burgers one night, smart dogs another night, and fish another night.

Phoenix1010
06-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Ok gotcha. I have a huge appetite, so I would eat them all in the same meal. I can't imagine someone having just Boca Burgers and salad for dinner.

Here's what I'll have for dinner in a given week:

1. Rice, beans, salad, potatoes
2. Pasta, tofu, mixed vegetables
3. Cous cous, corn on the cob, Boca Burgers or Smart Dogs
4. Chipotle burrito or two
5. Mashed potatoes, Tofu, more rice
6. Bread sticks, Vegan pizza
7. Something really unhealthy

tbach24
06-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Rice & Beans...yummmm now I have something to get when my parents insist on Mexicano.

wonderwes
06-12-2005, 04:43 PM
easy, Chipotle.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Margarine and hydrogenated fats are held in pretty low regard these days.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Frozen yoghurt isn't usually much healthier than ice cream any more. Gotta read the labels, or just think of it as your standard anti-healthy dessert.

Clarkmeister
06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I vote for sausage pizza.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok gotcha. I have a huge appetite, so I would eat them all in the same meal. I can't imagine someone having just Boca Burgers and salad for dinner.

Here's what I'll have for dinner in a given week:

1. Rice, beans, salad, potatoes
2. Pasta, tofu, mixed vegetables
3. Cous cous, corn on the cob, Boca Burgers or Smart Dogs
4. Chipotle burrito or two
5. Mashed potatoes, Tofu, more rice
6. Bread sticks, Vegan pizza
7. Something really unhealthy

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like you eat a lot of vegetables outside of processed ones, and very carb-heavy. #5 Mashed potatoes and rice in the same meal is definitely a hearty helping of high glycemic index foods all at once, and no vegetables whatsoever, unless you count tofu, which would seem to be reaching.

WarLordAG
06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fish (salmon, haddock are good)
Boca Burgers
Smart Dogs

All w/ salad w/ light dressing (Paul Newman's since he pwns)

Thought I'd share since some of you are on diets

[/ QUOTE ]

Last Summer I lost 40 lbs. I gained back 10 lbs over winter and am now back on the diet.

Those Smart Dogs are horrible. They taste nothing like a hot dog or anything close to tasty, I did however get some garlic portabella burgers right next to them which were very good.

Pretty much just need to keep the calories and fat down and you'll lose it in no time. They say to eat about 1200 calories a day to lose 1-2 lbs a week.
So I usually eat 6-800 calories a day. Yeah, it isn't supposed to be healthy, but it never affected me during the 40lb loss, and hasn't done anything thus far this year.

RacersEdge
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the whole dinner - or the appetizer? Maybe you already ate about 1500 cals before?

Phoenix1010
06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I don't like vegetables. I make a point to eat a salad once a week, and to throw some vegetables into my pasta or stir fry, but other than that it's a big hole in my diet. I get a lot of my nutrition from supplemental shakes. And yes, I eat carbs like there's no tomorrow. Love 'em. Bring me more carbs. Those of you on a diet may not wish to follow this, but vegans find out fairly quickly how hard it is to eat big portions without loading up on carbs.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Portabello mushrooms are godly. I love those things.

CallMeIshmael
06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
BTW,

are you tying to lose weight, or just eat healthily?

Blarg
06-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I think the trick is the sauces and spices. Americans just really don't use many, and Europeans and Americans of European heritage, especially in north and central Europe, come from a history of "boiled dinners," which is about as dull as food gets.

It gets a lot easier to eat vegetables if you start flavoring them with herbs and spices. Makes the carbs go down easy, too.

Gotta eat veggies for the roughage, too. It's pretty bad for the gut to not have enough fiber pushing stuff through at a good pace.

You can get over some of the vitamin deficits by just popping a vitamin, though. But there are lots of other super healthy things in veggies that you aren't going to be getting in a 1-a-day vitamin.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the trick is the sauces and spices. Americans just really don't use many...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tbach24
06-13-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW,

are you tying to lose weight, or just eat healthily?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating healthily and losing the chub.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
They don't, unless you count ketchup and mustard and mayo as having much variety or being very good. Outside of BBQ, American food is mostly pretty bland and doesn't use a lot of sauces or spices. Our food tends toward the bland.

You could make an exception for Cajun, but it's not eaten by a whole lot of people daily.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They don't, unless you count ketchup and mustard and mayo as having much variety or being very good. Outside of BBQ, American food is mostly pretty bland and doesn't use a lot of sauces or spices. Our food tends toward the bland.

You could make an exception for Cajun, but it's not eaten by a whole lot of people daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just think of good food and ignore the rest. Maybe I use more spices than most people as well. I don't know, but I tend to disagree with this statement. I think of BBQ, good Tex-Mex. Yea, Cajun cooking is awesome. And just because you don't cover up the taste of a good steak with spices, doesn't make it bland. I'd like some examples of what food you consider bland. It's not like we boil everything like the Brits?

kerssens
06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Here's my usual food day..not just dinner. I'm in the process of dropping body fat and building muscle. I'd like to be able to do 15-20 pullups in two months (right now only about 5).

Breakfast - protein shake and two nutra grain Eggo's
Snack - non-fat yogurt and banana or apple
Lunch - today it was a grilled chicken breast and plain
baked potato, ate the skin.
Snack - orange and a graham cracker or two
Lift
Post workout myoplex drink
dinner - saucer/small plate full of mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots, etc.) with either steak, chicken breast or a lean hamburger, sometimes fajitas.

I drink water throughout the day and have a glass of non-fat milk with dinner.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I love steak too, but I don't think of it as food I eat every day. I bet most Americans don't. I also don't think you can count Mexican food, and I didn't when I was saying that. I don't think as a whole Americans are eating eating barbecue or Mexican or Tex-Mex day in and day out.

Bland American food to me? Mashed potatoes. French fries. American cheese, the worst cheese in the world. Thousand Island dressing, the dullest dressing in the world. White bread, the dullest bread in the world. American chocolate -- generally pretty bad. Hot dogs(there are a million kinds of sausages better than hot dogs -- like almost all of them). America's favorite cold cut -- bologna, ruined as only Oscar Mayer can ruin it. American vanilla flavoring, which is incredibly mild and vapid.

And vegetables in general, which I've been served at either homes or restaurants almost always either sauteed or boiled or steamed with little or nothing extra in the way of spices. And overcooked at least as often as not.

Compare that with how good a vegetable dish tastes when Thais or Chinese do it, or when the French come up with a million different sauces to put on it or herbs and spices to bake it with.

I'm just saying that I can see why so many Americans find vegetables so dull. I rarely see them prepared in anything but a few dull ways.

jakethebake
06-13-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love steak too, but I don't think of it as food I eat every day. I don't think as a whole Americans are eating eating barbecue or Mexican or Tex-Mex day in and day out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not. Oh well, God bless Texas.

[ QUOTE ]
Bland American food to me? Mashed potatoes. French fries. American cheese, the worst cheese in the world. Thousand Island dressing, the dullest dressing in the world. White bread, the dullest bread in the world. American chocolate -- generally pretty bad. Hot dogs(there are a million kinds of sausages better than hot dogs -- like almost all of them). America's favorite cold cut -- bologna, ruined as only Oscar Mayer can ruin it. American vanilla flavoring, which is incredibly mild and vapid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good mashed potatoes with the skins on and garlic and good gravy (sauce) are not bland at all. As for the rest of that stuff. Sure I could probably pick out some crappy foods from any country/culture.

[ QUOTE ]
And vegetables in general, which I've been served at either homes or restaurants almost always either sauteed or boiled or steamed with little or nothing extra in the way of spices. And overcooked at least as often as not. I'm just saying that I can see why so many Americans find vegetables so dull. I rarely see them prepared in anything but a few dull ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't care much for most vegetables, so I tend to not even think about them when I talk food.

Slow Play Ray
06-13-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American cheese, the worst cheese in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Man, I love American Cheese, but only certain brands - most aren't very good. It's second only to Havarti.

brassnuts
06-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Tonight, I made myself some chicken fajitas. The least healthy ingredients were the olive oil I sauted the bell peppers and onions in and probably the flour tortillas, neither of which are really that bad for you. If you want to make this meal unhealthy, you could add cheese and sour cream, but without they are still delicious.

StevieG
06-15-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Get a fileted trout. Stick a sprig of rosemary inside.

Cut a lemon into slices 1/4 inch thick, arrange at bottom of a baking pan. Add water to pan just below the height of the lemons. Lay trout on top.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Delicious, simple, no fat added whatsoever.