PDA

View Full Version : This is the kind of story that makes people feel good, but it's stupid

pshreck
06-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Retard makes a basketball shot (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bkh_ryan_s_shot;_ylt=Atu1Rdm7_Ub32DS9Ku1tFpUDW7oF; _ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

Oh, and since I never post things first, someone just tell me if this has already been posted and Ill delete it.

LostMyMoney
06-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Open question:
Does society have an obligation to find retards jobs, even though they will not be as productive as real people, so that they can feel like they are not a waste of life and so that they have something to do during the day or, in our capitalist society, should they be weeded out and forced to stay at home?

Edit- Wacki will probably move this thread to politics. The moderators should be less proactive.

pshreck
06-11-2005, 09:21 PM
You are about as retarded as the kid in the story. I think even he understands the notion of the 'politics forum'.

Get the F out, forrest gump.

Yeti
06-11-2005, 09:41 PM
We need that Cliff Notes guy. Is that his name?

pshreck
06-11-2005, 09:43 PM
I summed it up in my link title.

But seriously....

some retarded kid gets to get into a game where his varsity team is up by 20 odd points with 2 minutes left.

He misses every shot despite the fact that they keep giving him the ball, even the other team.

He makes a meaningless buzzer beater. People in the stands are weeping and cheering. Becomes a major news story.

CallMeIshmael
06-11-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Open question:
Does society have an obligation to find retards jobs, even though they will not be as productive as real people, so that they can feel like they are not a waste of life and so that they have something to do during the day or, in our capitalist society, should they be weeded out and forced to stay at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please kill yourself tonight.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Happy BDay

CallMeIshmael
06-11-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Happy BDay

[/ QUOTE ]

TY.

I feel him killing himself would be a good Bday gift.

(also, some loving with Angelina Jolie)

tbach24
06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
big veins

http://www.celebrity-pictures.nu/Angelina-Jolie/pic209.jpg

jason_t
06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Open question:

Edit- Wacki will probably move this thread to politics. The moderators should be less proactive.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the f[/i]uck is wrong with you? Die.

Eihli
06-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Wow, that's pathetic.

spamuell
06-11-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I summed it up in my link title.

But seriously....

some retarded kid gets to get into a game where his varsity team is up by 20 odd points with 2 minutes left.

He misses every shot despite the fact that they keep giving him the ball, even the other team.

He makes a meaningless buzzer beater. People in the stands are weeping and cheering. Becomes a major news story.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why is it stupid? Because the story is stupid or because it's in the news?

tbach24
06-11-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So why is it stupid? Because the story is stupid or because it's in the news?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv because it's in the news.

The news is a huge joke in the US, not sure about GB.

poker-penguin
06-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes, it's stupid, but so is a lot of other stuff in life by the same standard.

For everyone else, it was the meaningless last minute of a high school basketball game that was over. For Ryno, it was a dream come true, and he deserved it. He might be different, and not as productive or as much of a "real person" as Lostmymoney, but he sounds like a nice kid.

BTW, Lostmymoney's post was Hitleriffic.

spamuell
06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The news is a huge joke in the US, not sure about GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frequently a joke here too, I think it's more of a joke for you though. But still I'd rather skim a story like this than one about celebrities.

CD56
06-11-2005, 10:21 PM
someone once said...you can judge a society by how it treats its weakest members

judgesmails
06-11-2005, 10:35 PM
It makes people feel good because this kid's experience helps all recapture some innocence we lose in our lives through our own failures and disappointments we experience in others.

This kid will never know those feelings and only knows how to try his best and to trust those around him. We are moved by this because we wish we could still feel that way, and in some way we are ashamed that we can't.

I suppose you could say the competition was tainted by his participation, but I hope I never get THAT cynical.

spamuell
06-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I think it would be funny if someone wrote an article from the losing team's perspective about how humiliating it was to be getting so crushed that the other team started bringing retards on to the court.

pshreck
06-12-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be funny if someone wrote an article from the losing team's perspective about how humiliating it was to be getting so crushed that the other team started bringing retards on to the court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the something. I laughed for a while at this.

Alobar
06-12-2005, 01:47 AM
I dont get why its stupid? The story itsself is pretty poorly written, and its almost gag worthy how the writter tries to spoon feed it to you.

The actual event tho is pretty touching.

I always find it interesting tho in these types of stories to put youself in the place of the kid who has to guard the disabled kid. Thats a tough spot to play.

blaze666
06-12-2005, 05:58 AM
it just makes you want to go down to your local special school and donate everything you own doesn't it.

Tooork
06-12-2005, 09:29 AM
my god!

sk8erboy1
06-12-2005, 10:02 AM
haha