PDA

View Full Version : Sam Grizzle hitting hard times

Bigdaddydvo
06-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Who knows, we may now see his famous "Hustler" shirt on Ebay. From ESPN.com

Early Thursday morning, at about 1:30 a.m., the $1,000 buy-in no-limit tournament (with $1,000 re-buys) broke for the night with 35 players left. As with the $1,500 buy-in NLHE event that kicked off the WSOP last Friday, there were so many entries that the Rio decided to make it a three-day event, instead of the originally scheduled two.

At a little after 4:30, Chris, who was overseeing one-table satellite play, announced one last satellite - a $175 buy-in affair - if there were enough players interested & and still awake. At the other end of the room, where the ring games are being held during the WSOP, there were seven slow-moving tables in action, ranging from a $1-2 NLHE game to a $25-50 NLHE game.

The best entertainment left was being provided by Sam Grizzle, who some of you may recognize as Phil Hellmuth's wise-cracking nemesis from the 2003 main event. (According to poker urban legend, Hellmuth and Grizzle once duked it out after a tournament.) The aptly named Grizzle - like Willie Nelson, he's got a lot of miles on his face - is the kind of guy about whom my mother would say, "That man's got a mouth on him." Apparently, he's fallen on hard financial times, because he was struggling through a series of $225 buy-in one-tables, the kind of games normally not worth a top pro's time. And the worst part about it was & he wasn't even winning any of them. A rather attractive young lady, who didn't look old enough to legally be playing, was dominating the table, and all of Grizzle's verbal digging was having absolutely no effect.

In fact, she was giving back as good as she was getting, which eventually led Grizzle to offer to play her, or anyone else willing to accept the challenge, in a heads-up match for $5,000. A slight but dangerous-vibing young man standing behind the girl accepted the offer, but Grizzle quickly qualified his challenge - he'd play the dangerous kid, but only after playing the girl, who was inconveniently occupied at the moment, in a heads-up with the last guy left from the satellite event that Grizzle had recently busted out of.

The kid wouldn't take "no" for an answer. He offered to play Grizzle for 10 grand, then offered to play him heads-up with a handicap - he'd put up $11,000, and Grizzle would only have to put up $10,000.

Still no go.

"I don't think Sam has the money," the girl said, her voice dripping with acid. "Do you, Sam?"

Sam made a face, as if such a notion was beyond ridiculous. But it was obvious he didn't - nor could he raise it from any of the players still hanging around, if he even wanted to.

Eventually, he drifted off, and the youngsters - the dangerous guy and the good-looking girl - walked through the ring games, hand-in-hand, off to do whatever it is that young couples do after the poker is finally over for the day.

Also SeeWSOP Moment Of The Day - 6/9
Jay Lovinger was confused ...

WSOP Moment Of The Day - 6/8
Jay Lovinger, and others, ...

WSOP Moment Of The Day
WSOP Tournaments are fielding ...

WSOP Moment Of The Day
WSOP Moment Of The Day

2005 WSOP Schedule
2005 WSOP Schedule

Adjust Font Size:

Bill Murphy
06-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Overheard Sam saying "I hear he lost $300K but maybe he'll put me in(the 1.5K Stud)" on Tuesday night. I also noticed Sam's right arm appeared to be injured or badly withered, but maybe it's always been that way. I've defo seen Sam looking better off than he did that night.

As for Hellmuth, I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but word is he lost 75K to Ivey playing headsup Chinese poker, and another 30K playing craps.

Malachii
06-11-2005, 09:35 PM
If he's stupid enough to play Ivey heads up in anything, then he deserves to lose money. Phil can afford it though, he's got a ton of endorsement and busniess money flowing in.