TheTimeIsUp
06-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Talk about a whooping.

chiachu
06-11-2005, 06:39 PM
nice /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dicelumpY2005
06-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I have followed horses since I was about 8 years old (20 or so years ago), and this is one horse that should have won the Triple Crown out of all the "2 out of 3" horses in the past. Absolutely amazing 3 year old, and I hope we get to see more of him in the future instead of the owners just retiring him to stud...

Clarkmeister
06-11-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have followed horses since I was about 8 years old (20 or so years ago), and this is one horse that should have won the Triple Crown out of all the "2 out of 3" horses in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. There's some serious racehorses in that recent group. Sunday Silence, Point Given, Hansel, Smarty Jones, Silver Charm. I'm not sure I'd bet Alex against any of those.

dicelumpY2005
06-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I would take my chances on Afleet Alex against that bunch...definately the most explosive of the group...the others had great characteristics of their own...(Silver Charm for his guts and determination when challenged, etc...). We'll have to see where Afleet Alex ranks over time...assuming the horse will get a shot at a 4-year old campaign.

Clarkmeister
06-11-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would take my chances on Afleet Alex against that bunch...definately the most explosive of the group...the others had great characteristics of their own...(Silver Charm for his guts and determination when challenged, etc...). We'll have to see where Afleet Alex ranks over time...assuming the horse will get a shot at a 4-year old campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too carried away. He may or may not win, but if that was the field he'd almost certainly be the longest shot in the race. He beat a NW1x field today. He's a nice horse, but this is a horrific 3yo crop. Definitely the best of his generation, but I think he's more like Thunder Gulch, a horse who will get slaughtered running against a monster like Ghostzapper or even nice horses like Roses in May or St. Liam. It's early though and the horse could still get faster.

TheTimeIsUp
06-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Faster? This was the fastest ran Belmont since 1969.

Clarkmeister
06-11-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, no it wasn't.

Clarkmeister
06-11-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, no it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, It wasn't, but I see what you are talking about now. You are thinking of the last quarter time. But all that means is that they ran really pokey early on.

Besides, seriously, how can you not know that it couldn't possibly be the fastest time since 1969. Some horse named Secretariat ran between now and then.

TheTimeIsUp
06-12-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, no it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, It wasn't, but I see what you are talking about now. You are thinking of the last quarter time. But all that means is that they ran really pokey early on.

Besides, seriously, how can you not know that it couldn't possibly be the fastest time since 1969. Some horse named Secretariat ran between now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. It was just what I caught as I was turning the TV off.

06-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I agree with Clark. The Derby set up great for a horse with his running style. The pace was blistering. He should have blown that field away with that pace. For whatever reason -- traffic, too early a move (things that may be attributable to the jock) -- he didn't. I don't think he really had an excuse that could equate to "not his fault". I think there's also a big difference between winning the last 2 and winning the first 2, where everyone is gunning for you at the Belmont. Take Silver Charm, for example, who lost by what -- 1/2? -- to Touch Gold in '97. There are other recent examples of near misses. Even Smarty Jones last year lost by only a length to Birdstone. Those performances are in my mind more impressive than AA's. But they are all great horses for sure.