PDA

View Full Version : Min-raising AA -- is this too obvious?

sahala
06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
This has happened 75% of the time I've min-raised with AA in the last week.

Should I raise more, or just limp? I obviously want someone in the hand with me. I'm philisophically opposed to limping with AA unless it's in later rounds in late position if only to get more value in the hand.

***** Hand History for Game 2191868711 *****
NL Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Level:2 Blinds(15/30)
Table Table 11213 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 3: RJD1946 ( $645 )
Seat 4: Bob7542 ( $1510 )
Seat 5: tbop121971 ( $1095 )
Seat 6: jadrum ( $855 )
Seat 7: Stavros02198 ( $1170 )
Seat 9: endomatic ( $365 )
Seat 2: Hero ( $525 )
Seat 10: pbs1914 ( $625 )
Seat 8: higgy41 ( $1210 )
Trny:13008297 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ac As ]
higgy41 folds.
endomatic folds.
pbs1914 folds.
Hero raises [60].
RJD1946 folds.
Bob7542 folds.
tbop121971 folds.
jadrum folds.
Stavros02198 folds.
Hero does not show cards.
Hero wins 105 chips

Iamafish
06-11-2005, 06:35 PM
not at the 11s.

Later when 6 of them call you, youll be posting "how much should i raise?"

smcannon
06-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I doubt it was 75 percent of the time. You just are remembering it more often than not because you love AA and expect to win a huge pot from it.

I don't miniraise with AA in the early stages of the tournament. That is just dangerous play. Be glad you took down the pot and didn't lose to some guy that calls with 98s and flops something that puts your AA to shame.

Bet at least 3BB if not more.

Also, the miniraise isn't a tell on anything in my opinion at that level. Plenty of people put in 2BB bets with Ax, small PP, and any two cards T and up.

They folded cause they didn't have jack. Be happy with the pot that you got and stop miniraising AA in the early stages.

DasLeben
06-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Just raise standard. No need to be fancy here.

Iamafish
06-11-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm philisophically opposed to limping with AA unless it's in later rounds in late position if only to get more value in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to the 55s

sahala
06-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Good point. I ran through poker tracker and looked at AA hands for the last 8 days. It's pretty close to 75%, but I think you're right...there's nothing to believe that they folded because of a min-raise "read". More often than not they had junk cards and played them correctly.

Back to 3-4x raises...

45suited
06-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I think that limping with aces in the later rounds in late position is pure suicide. I NEVER make this play. Let the blinds in cheap and you get what you deserve. At the later levels, everyone's expecting push / fold anyway so at the very least make a mini-raise then. The blinds are ginormous at the later rounds. Take them down and survive, if they call your raise all the better. Never limp with aces in late position at high blind levels. Never.

treeofwisdom7
06-11-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good point. I ran through poker tracker and looked at AA hands for the last 8 days. It's pretty close to 75%, but I think you're right...there's nothing to believe that they folded because of a min-raise "read". More often than not they had junk cards and played them correctly.

Back to 3-4x raises...

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you mini rasing in the early LVLs stop doing that just raise everything regular.

try something new in your game. play standard. raise 3X everything then check fold if you dont have it. sounds like your trying too many tricky plays which might make you easy to read.

when i raise b4 the flop with JJ and i catch a set with no flush no st8 draw you know what i do 90% of the time..

I BET! and they usually pay me off

byronkincaid
06-11-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never limp with aces in late position at high blind levels. Never.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times to limp, times to mini raise and times to go all in. Never say never.

treeofwisdom7
06-11-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never limp with aces in late position at high blind levels. Never.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times to limp, times to mini raise and times to go all in. Never say never.

[/ QUOTE ]

you shouldnt say never say never

45suited
06-11-2005, 07:14 PM
You are correct about never saying never. But I better damn well have a read that one of the blinds is aggressive and will push pre-flop after seeing my limp. Not many of those guys at the lower levels though....

I'll revise my statement to "very, very rarely".

byronkincaid
06-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Took me a minute to work that out. Very true.

Jay36489
06-11-2005, 07:26 PM
You can't win big pots with AA every time you get it. Stop thinking like that. You can try and limp rerase from early position on a table that is aggresive preflop, but if you just get called you may have to lay it down post flop which can be painful, but you have to be prepared to do it.

sahala
06-11-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Back to 3-4x raises...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quoting myself here, but "back to" implies that at one point I was making the 3-4x raises. What part of my OP implied that I ALWAYS min-raise AA? I wouldn't have posted it if it were my standard game.

The reason I've min-raised the last dozen times is because I read through poker tracker where I didn't get enough action with AA because I chased everyone out including the blinds.

And limping in late games DOES have its place. I'm not saying I do it all the time but it's always an option to consider.

In any case this discussion is probably pretty marginal. I'd be happy to always have the problem of getting AA too many times and not pulling in enough chips.

ChuckyB
06-11-2005, 11:58 PM
With AA I'll do any of three different things. Limp, min-raise or my standard of 4xBB +1each. A fourth I want to do is go all-in when I've got a very loose image going and get someone to call.

Aces are good enough to do anything with pre-flop. Just don't do the same thing everytime.

microbet
06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Unless you are playing the same people over and over or you get dealt AA a lot more than I do, don't worry about changing the way you play it.

To the OP, hell no, it isn't obvious you have AA by minraising in level 2 of an $11. You should still raise more, IMO, unless pretty much every raise starts a frenzy - which is sometimes the case in an $11. And, yes, 4 people all-in is beautiful when you have AA.