PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set of Kings on a single suited flop

mack848
06-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I felt that CO would fold to a raise without a big spade (or the other King) and I wanted him to stay in.

Am I mistaken in waiting for a non spade turn against 2 opponents here? Even a turned spade leaves me 10 outs.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

sweetjazz
06-11-2005, 06:00 PM
You're giving CO a chance to take a free card with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif x. You have to assess the likelihood that he will check behind on the turn, for which you need to use your read of his play to this point.

Also, I doubt he's folding to your flop reraise. He'll call one more (at least) with any piece of the board or just about any spade.

By raising the flop, you may get a free card on the turn if a fourth spade hits.

I think I would play this hand by ramming and jamming the flop, raising at every opportunity. I would generally do the same on the turn, though I'd slow down if an opponent's aggression indicated a likely flush. You have a ton of outs if behind and there are a lot of worse hands that will give you action on this board. Frankly, it's a mistake to try to squeeze an extra bet out of A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif or a hand like this rather than getting J /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif to put in a lot of bets.

Many players here don't fold weak spade draws and hold onto one pair because they're afraid you're semibuffing with the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif or they're just plain stupid. You have a lot of equity here, so ram and jam.

brettbrettr
06-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Raise the flop the first time.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I mistaken in waiting for a non spade turn against 2 opponents here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

mack848
06-11-2005, 06:25 PM
The way I played it I get more out of them, so long as the turn C/R works, plus I get the option to save a bet when a spade is turned, as I would often get a chance to Check/Call to chase my full house.

Of course, I'm giving 64 or 68 a chance to hit a straight, but they would probably call a flop raise anyhow.

sweetjazz
06-11-2005, 06:33 PM
(1) There is no reason to believe that CO will raise the flop. He might not even call it.

(2) He might have 3-bet the flop.

(3) He might have checked behind on the turn.

(4) He might be betting the turn because he flopped a flush.

SB or CO might have wanted to cap the flop (which you are fine with as long as both players come along).

chesspain
06-11-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I mistaken in waiting for a non spade turn against 2 opponents here? Even a turned spade leaves me 10 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since three of the four kings are out of play, with what kind of hand do you expect the SB to bet again on a non-spade turn?