PDA

View Full Version : Pump you Up (Pushups)

Stuey
06-11-2005, 03:12 PM
1. Do as many pushups as you can. Record that number.
2. For 1-week train like an animal to increase the amount of pushups you can do.
3. Do as many pushups as you can. Record that number.
4. Post how many more pushups you can do now.
5. Do this every week. Forever.

Also please post your training secrets to help others improve. We have shamed Sup bro for to long it must stop.

dr. klopek
06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
No.

-Skeme-
06-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Did 20 on my knuckles, got tired, stopped. I don't have the will power.

A_C_Slater
06-11-2005, 03:27 PM
I just did 20 (and i was really trying on that last one.) I haven't done pushups in years, but when I was 18-22 I could do at least 50. I'm 25 now.

Good thread idea.

I just needed some motivation.

I feel quite euphoric right now.

Stuey
06-11-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did 20 on my knuckles, got tired, stopped. I don't have the will power.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 is lots! Good start you have 1 week to improve don't waste it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is a link (http://www.stumptuous.com/pushup.html) for people that want to start with easier types of pushups. Remember you don't have to tell us how many or which type you are doing. But you MUST tell us how many more you can do after 1 week. This is going to be sweet torture!

-Skeme-
06-11-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.stumptuous.com/kneepushup2aa.jpg

Wouldn't mind sticking it in her pooper.

Stuey
06-11-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just did 20 (and i was really trying on that last one.) I haven't done pushups in years, but when I was 18-22 I could do at least 50. I'm 25 now.

Good thread idea.

I just needed some motivation.

I feel quite euphoric right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Train like an animal for 1 week. I bet you after 2 weeks you can do 50 again! Check out this website (http://www.bodyresults.com/E2Pushups-pullups.asp) it gave me some good training ideas.

I am going to do 5 sets to failure twice a day. In the morning and before bed for 5 days. I will rest for 1 day and then on day 7 I will see how many more I can do. Sound like a good plan?

-Skeme-
06-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Just did 30 flat palmed.

Glenn
06-11-2005, 03:50 PM
If you do that when you are starting out, you will be overtraining.

A_C_Slater
06-11-2005, 03:53 PM
In my experience if you do just two sets until you can't do anymore your muscles will be so burnt out the next day that you won't even be able to do half as many. Is this not true for everyone, or am I a nancy boy?

RYL
06-11-2005, 03:54 PM
My goal for pushups: 80-100 reps
My goal for pullups: 15-20 reps

Stuey
06-11-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you do that when you are starting out, you will be overtraining.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right, and this is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I have lifted weights for over 3 years, I run, swim, bike, snowshoe, anything really. I think I could make better gains if I did things properly. So I am looking to hear some advice from others.

But I would like to STRESS, this is not about how many pushups you can do. It is about seeing how many MORE you can do 1 week from now, 2 weeks from now, 1 year from now. If you don't want to tell us how many of which type you can do you don't have to. Just try your hardest, and I mean hard for 1 week at a time and tell us how many more you can do each week.

I have done this before and it is amazing how fast you can improve. Most people will double the number they can do in 2 weeks I bet.

Let's just do it! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RYL
06-11-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also please post your training secrets to help others improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ambition is all you need. Include willpower and determination to that list as well.

augie00
06-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I will take on this challenge, but I will be doing exclusively cock pushups.

trying2learn
06-11-2005, 04:10 PM
wow - i just realized it's been a loooong time since i did any push ups.

i made it to twenty five - and i am burning. damn - i didn't think it'd be that hard.

i'll report back with the results in a week.

good idea.

Stuey
06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my experience if you do just two sets until you can't do anymore your muscles will be so burnt out the next day that you won't even be able to do half as many. Is this not true for everyone, or am I a nancy boy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to work up to it but your body gets used to it and recovers faster. I might be starting of to hard for myself. Most I have ever done was 5 sets to failure 4 times in 1 week and only once a day. But I'm sure I will live so I will try it lol. I did so many dips one day I could not raise my arms to wash my hair in the shower for 2 days. Make it burn!

Reef
06-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Just as important as increasing the number you do is making sure that you're doing them correctly (straight back, breaking parallel). I think a lot of people will overlook this.

tbach24
06-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Did 30...but it's wicked warm in here and I lifted yesterday so I imagine I could do better.

RYL
06-11-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just as important as increasing the number you do is making sure that you're doing them correctly (straight back, breaking parallel). I think a lot of people will overlook this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Form must be the top priority. Quality over quantity.

ClassicBob
06-11-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will take on this challenge, but I will be doing exclusively cock pushups.

[/ QUOTE ]

One is all you need.

RicktheRuler
06-11-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
20 is lots!

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, I am concerned for the physcial health of some of you guys now.

RicktheRuler
06-11-2005, 04:25 PM
If you do enough resistance training on a given muscle (except abs and maybe biceps) you should only need to train that muscle 1-3 time per week depending on you level of fitness.

brassnuts
06-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I just did 54. And, I weight 245 pounds. RAAWR.

TBag
06-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Good lord. Rawr indeed.

I did 20 at 145...

Cubswin
06-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Add in a lady and this exercise can be even better... as previously stated 'form' should be your top priority. I bet most OOTers will be spent after 20 push-ups.

cubs

Glenn
06-11-2005, 04:31 PM
That's just because you only have to move 3 inches before your boobs touch the ground.

Stuey
06-11-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. And it is why the number is not the important part. It is the amount of improvement.

If you can only do 5 standing pushups against a wall there is nothing wrong with that. And in 1 week you can do 10 I bet. After 3 weeks you will be doing knee pushups with ease.

Try and do them with good form so you don't hurt yourself. But it is ok if you cheat a little on form to get a extra rep or 2.

At the end of the week we just report how many more we can do.

Burt Reynolds
06-11-2005, 05:05 PM
I over trained in high school to the point that I was 10 push ups away from setting the Freshman push up record. I did about 90 something at one time. We weren't doing those half-assed ones. We were doing legit, all the way up, all the way down push ups and there was a guy there making sure they were legit.

After I overtrained, my muscles in my arms eventually just started giving out or something. I still have troubles with them even now. I messed up the stabilizer muscle in my arm. It's the muscle that gives you coordination and connects your shoulder to your arm. It hurt like hell. It took like 5 months to complete rehabilitate. I couldn't even shift my car and I was pissed that I had a stick-shift.

Anyway, don't overdo it. Do about 3 sets but don't train every night !! LIke I did. Take a day off in between.

-Skeme-
06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I over trained in high school to the point that I was 10 push ups away from setting the Freshman push up record. I did about 90 something at one time. We weren't doing those half-assed ones. We were doing legit, all the way up, all the way down push ups and there was a guy there making sure they were legit.

After I overtrained, my muscles in my arms eventually just started giving out or something. I still have troubles with them even now. I messed up the stabilizer muscle in my arm. It's the muscle that gives you coordination and connects your shoulder to your arm. It hurt like hell. It took like 5 months to complete rehabilitate. I couldn't even shift my car and I was pissed that I had a stick-shift.

Anyway, don't overdo it. Do about 3 sets but don't train every night !! LIke I did. Take a day off in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

Logout please.

Burt Reynolds
06-11-2005, 05:10 PM
why ? I'm Burt Reynolds.

-Skeme-
06-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Turd Furgeson.

Blarg
06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many sets/reps you can do depends a lot on how good shape you're in in the first place. If you're in great shape, it will take more sets to wear yourself out or put yourself in pain the next day or two. If you're in bad shape, it's harder to wear out all of your muscles evenly before one particularly weak group of them is torn up and you can't continue. With push-ups, for an untrained guy, maybe his triceps will give out way before his chest or shoulders do. To get the best work-out, you have to be in good shape already. There's a weird catch-up phase for everyone else that can last quite a while, depending on how quick you naturally put on muscle and where you're building up from.

Taking up running is another good example. If you're in bad aerobic shape, you'll be exhausted way before your legs come close to giving out. But aerobic shape can build pretty rapidly, and after a while, you have a better chance of wearing out your legs running because your lungs will last long enough to do it!

Blarg
06-11-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. You can do like 3 or 4 or 5 times as many if you cheat.

And the more tired you get, the easier it is to cheat without even noticing. Or maybe just while making excuses.

Stuey
06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Million pushups (http://www.millionpushups.com/mystory.php)

Pushup facts

WORLD RECORDS

non-stop: 10,507
1 hour: 3,877
one minute: 138

Do some already! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mostsmooth
06-11-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just did 30 flat palmed.

[/ QUOTE ]
i just did 75 imaginary type

06-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I did 80. I started in Jan. doing 40 a day and added reps
each month.

-Skeme-
06-11-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit.

Stuey
06-11-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can do amazing things if we let ourselves. (http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html)

Pushups with hands on raw eggs (http://www.recordholders.org/video/pressups.mov) yah I'm dumb enough to try this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
06-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Two-finger(index finger and thumb), thumb, and one finger push-ups are what wows me.

Stuey
06-12-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did 80. I started in Jan. doing 40 a day and added reps
each month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, and welcome to the forums, hope to hear from you every week from now on at the very least. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clearly it is important to stick with it over the longterm to get good results.

Subfallen
06-12-2005, 12:19 AM
125. Back when I was in shape and not losing at life, I could do 150 no problem. But now I can do 70 fingertip pushups, which I couldn't do when I wasn't a loser.

Edit - 170 lbs.

Stuey
06-12-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
125. Back when I was in shape and not losing at life, I could do 150 no problem. But now I can do 70 fingertip pushups, which I couldn't do when I wasn't a loser.

Edit - 170 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I thought once you reached 100 it would be a mind over matter thing. Looks like you have to fight for every rep, cool, that's the way I want it.

I hope you start winning at life again, and soon. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
In the mean time kick the ass out of this challenge. It is clear you could if you wanted to. Hope to hear from you in a week.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 12:54 AM
What's also amazing is the guys who do a handstand against the wall and do push ups like that. Huge stress on the shoulders.

Reef
06-12-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's also amazing is the guys who do a handstand against the wall and do push ups like that. Huge stress on the shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, those are actually a lot easier than it seems.

Reef
06-12-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two-finger(index finger and thumb), thumb, and one finger push-ups are what wows me.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you see Bruce Lee's exhibition video of him doing a 1 thumb pushup?

-Skeme-
06-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Not for me, the blood rushes to my head real quick and hurts. They also hurt my back. I find normal pushups MUCH easier.

-Skeme-
06-12-2005, 01:02 AM
He weighed like 100 lbs.

Reef
06-12-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He weighed like 100 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable Strength
Lee's feats of strength are the stuff of legend; from performing push-ups - on one hand! - or thumbs only pushups, to supporting a 125-pound barbell at arms length in front of him (with elbows locked) for several seconds, or sending individuals (who outweighed him by as much as 100 pounds in some instances) flying through the air and landing some 15 feet away as a result of a punch that Lee delivered from only one-inch away, the power that Bruce Lee could generate -- at a mere bodyweight of 135 pounds -- is absolutely frightening. Not to mention some of his other nifty little habits like thrusting his fingers through full cans of Coca-Cola and sending 300 pound heavy bags slapping against the ceiling with a simple side kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

bholdr
06-12-2005, 01:06 AM
brssnuts:
[ QUOTE ]
I just did 54. And, I weight 245 pounds. RAAWR.

[/ QUOTE ]

glenn:
[ QUOTE ]
That's just because you only have to move 3 inches before your boobs touch the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

PWN!!

but serioulsy: I'm in! I used to be able do do an ungodly number of pushups (I credit my mother with that ability- as a kid, instead of grounding me or taking away TV privalages, she assigned me pushups) but i just tried and could get only 35. pathetic, for me, probably my worst ever. I only got nine pullups- jesus- poker has made me soft.

I will follow whatever the best advice in this thread seems to be in terms of training regimins, provided it takes less than a half-hour or so per day. i fully expect to get to 100 pushups and 20 pullups within a month if i can find the motivation to keep it up.

Subfallen
06-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Hate to disagree with my man Blarg, but but actually handstand pushups are pretty easy. The below is truly amazing stress on the shoulders:

http://www.dragondoor.com/images/articles/8C-Josh.jpg

If you want to learn how to do this, visit here. (http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=229)

Blarg
06-12-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you see Bruce Lee's exhibition video of him doing a 1 thumb pushup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've seen pictures of that. My martial arts instructor could do those, too. Pretty cool stuff.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah that is pretty insane.

Handstand push-ups always struck me as pretty darn hard, at least compared to regular push-ups. I used to be a push-up fanatic, and did an incredible number of them almost daily for years -- on fingers, knuckles, clapping, with feet elevated, you name it practically, but I couldn't do anywhere near as many handstand push-ups.

I'd guess it depends how you train. Push-ups and dips were easy for me because I trained to do them so obsessively, but other guys who couldn't do nearly as many push-ups or dips as I could were still able to easily benchpress more than I could. Guess maybe it's that way with handstand push-ups, too. I don't remember ever being too great in them, though I could do other shoulder exercises very well.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey, thanks for the link, that's pretty cool.

Subfallen
06-12-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...but other guys who couldn't do nearly as many push-ups or dips as I could were still able to easily benchpress more than I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the low-intensity bodyweight exercises like normal pushups/pullups will not provide significant strength (unless performed with ENORMOUS explosiveness.) For example, when I could do 35 normal pullups I couldn't come close to beginning a one-arm pullup.

ripdog
06-12-2005, 01:27 AM
20 is a good starting point. I'm up to 35 now, but the last one is really slow and painful. I'll do 35 until it seems fairly easy, then move to 40. That should take a week (maybe less), one set per day. I did this about 10 years ago and got up to 100. I plan on getting there again soon.

Stuey
06-12-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I will follow whatever the best advice in this thread seems to be in terms of training regimins, provided it takes less than a half-hour or so per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to hear other people’s ideas on the best method also. I am going with 5 sets of declining reps, going not quite to failure, as I don't want to hurt myself. I am going to try and do it morning and night but I am sure I will wear out.

I will just take a day off and resume the torture the next day. Check out the links in my other posts for more ideas. I am still looking for the right approach myself. I have a habit of overtraining so I need to watch it.

[ QUOTE ]
if i can find the motivation to keep it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will hound you like a mad man if you don't post your results here once a week. Seriously you've done it now. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

UCF THAYER
06-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Anyone else think this post would be about the delicious Flintstones ice cream treats?

Stuey
06-12-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
20 is a good starting point. I'm up to 35 now, but the last one is really slow and painful. I'll do 35 until it seems fairly easy, then move to 40. That should take a week (maybe less), one set per day. I did this about 10 years ago and got up to 100. I plan on getting there again soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like I need to lower the sets I am planning to do so I don't burn out. And if I stick with it I will get results. I have found this to be true with everything and it is the reason I made the thread. Welcome aboard ripdog it will be harder to quit the more of us there is!

Blarg
06-12-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...but other guys who couldn't do nearly as many push-ups or dips as I could were still able to easily benchpress more than I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the low-intensity bodyweight exercises like normal pushups/pullups will not provide significant strength (unless performed with ENORMOUS explosiveness.) For example, when I could do 35 normal pullups I couldn't come close to beginning a one-arm pullup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely.

I was looking over some links for that site and saw the page on "The Naked Warrior." The guy is talking about using one-armed push-ups and one-legged knee-bends/squats as your primary strength builders.

I used to do one-legged deep knee bends and they definitely are good exercises. They're definitely another one of those that surprisingly strong guys sometimes can't do. They tense your legs deep inside really close to the bone, in a way that regular squats don't do so much -- I guess because a lot of work is being done to stabilize you as you move, whereas with two legs, simple gravity takes care of a lot of your stabilizing automatically.

All the guys here talking about doing push-ups might want to add one-legged knee-bends in there. They're not the hardest exercise in the world, but do take some balance to do right. Just hang onto a bar or put your hand against a wall for balance while you do them, and you'll be fine. You don't have to do a whole lot of them to get a good work-out.

Consider that doing a one-legged squat is like having a whole other you sitting on your shoulders, but suddenly you have balance issues forcing much more complete tension throughout the leg, and it becomes a more interesting exercise. You don't have to do a lot of them to get a good work-out in.

-Skeme-
06-12-2005, 02:55 AM
I've read from many sources and viewed many articles about how overrated his strength was. He also has only like one official fight. Against Wong Jack Man I believe, and the results are skewed as hell. Every person's story is different. Linda, Lee's wife, says he beat Wong into submission. Lee says Wong was running from him. Other's say Wong outclassed Lee, but chose not to unleash his deadly kicks which would've wrecked Lee, and stopped the match.

Google it or something.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 03:53 AM
You're reading the wrong sources. He's enormously respected in the martial arts world, and trained the top competitors -- Mike Stone, Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, and others. There is an enormous amount of material written by his students and well-respected martial artists who knew him as to the level of his skill. Wally Jay, Bob Wall, Jhoon Rhee, and Ed Parker are are a few of the ones we commonly know here in this country. Parker said something about Lee I always thought was funny and interesting: "Bruce had the biggest mouth in the world. And he could back up absolutely every single thing he said."

Bruce was never described as being less than an absolute fitness fanatic.

Bruce grew up fighting, a lot. Real fights, and serious ones. He had a lot of streetfighting experience, and some of the guys he fought were instructors in other styles. The guy he trained the most under, Wong Shung Leung, was a local celebrity who even at a weight of 100 pounds was never defeated in over 100 streetfights, some with weapons, some against multiple assailants. When Bruce came to America, he almost immediately drew the attention of hardened streetfighters and accomplished martial artists and boxers -- much larger than himself -- and wound up with them as his students. As Jesse Glover remarked in his book "Bruce Lee: Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do," Bruce insisted that students try to go all out on him when he took them in, to eliminate any unspoken questions about who was boss.

I don't know how you are chosing to call a fight "official," but the one with Wong Jack Man was a challenge match he accepted on the spot. If he lost, the conditions were that Bruce would close his school. Lee, a man with a quick temper and an enormous ego, was furious that he was insulted in front of his wife and students, and upon seeing Wong Jack Man's long list of proposed rules, retorted that his conditions were that there would be no rules.

Lee's school stayed open.

Twenty years later an article about Wong Jack Man cropped up in Black Belt Magazine in which he claimed to be able to put out candles from across the room by with his internal chi power.

Stuey
06-12-2005, 03:53 AM
Great info guys thx. These are nasty and they look so harmless. Pistols (http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm)

-Skeme-
06-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Good post, although it's nothing I haven't heard. I also heard that Wong and Lee agreed to never speak about the fight. Then Bruce stated in an interview, "The son of a bitch was running from me!" He didn't name names, but Wong was furious. He open challenged him to another match and allegedly Bruce never responded. Of course it's all hearsay and I am too tired to find links.

Personally I think Mas Oyama would've killed Bruce.

Okay, I googled:

http://www.kungfu.net/brucelee.html
http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/bruce.html

Blarg
06-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Interesting link, though the claim that Man refused to use his kicks because they were "too deadly" strains credulity to the utmost. The fight lasting 20 to 25 minutes also seems virtually impossible. Describing Wing Chun as an external style is highly arguable, at best. And the last paragraph especially seems a snide and very personalized repudiation of Lee rather than part of what would purport to be a serious article.

Oyama was a tough S.O.B. to be sure, but I doubt very much that he had anything even remotely like Bruce's hand speed, closing speed and general footwork, coordination and timing, or hand skills, though he was probably more powerful generally and was very likely a better kicker than Bruce was at many points of his short life, was almost certainly far superior with weapons, and could well have been a better grappler and better at throws and sweeps.

Oyama was in nowhere near as good physical condition, from the photos I've seen. But Bruce didn't have the kind of build and stature that could absorb blows all day and night; I'd give Oyama the edge there.

Just my reading, of course. I think it might have made for an interesting fight between two enormous, hell-bent egotists, neither of whom could even conceive of losing. God forbid Oyama land many solid blows, but I think he'd have a hell of a time trying to do it, and would be hard-pressed not to be absorbing some himself. Bruce's closing speed became the core of his fighting style, because he knew he couldn't stand around trading punches with Americans who outweighed him by 80 or 100 pounds even as teenagers. I doubt he'd be stupid enough to slug it out with Oyama, but if it got into a slugfest or good "ring generalship" got Bruce cornered, Oyama's chances would skyrocket.

stinkypete
06-12-2005, 05:28 AM
http://web.ivenue.com/lsoa/images/7930a.JPG

WackityWhiz
06-12-2005, 06:58 AM
25 burning pushups ... 255 lbs

back when I was 200 I did 70+

We had saturday morning football practice when I was a sophomore in high school. We would meet out in the middle of the track and we would go into groups (ball handlers on offense, lineman offense and defense, linebackers, d-backs) I was Will Linebacker. Whoever did the most in each group was exempt from running the mile around campus. I was so lazy that I would always win the pushup contest just so I didn't have to run.

I did something similar to this when I was lifting for high school football. We had summer workouts that were mandatory to attend. We had to check in to verify we were there every day. I was so lazy that I would just go in and max-out on bench press everyday then leave. I was at 240 and 2 months later I was pumping out 285 (with my squat at 315 lol). I'm excited to see my results in this in a few weeks.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

raisethatmofo
06-12-2005, 09:07 AM

raisethatmofo
06-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Tooork
06-12-2005, 09:22 AM
man, don't push-ups belong to the nineties..

Stuey
06-12-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://web.ivenue.com/lsoa/images/7930a.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

Do as many of these as possible. Thx that is all.

Stuey
06-12-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was so lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't sound lazy to me at all. You just like to choose your pain. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stuey
06-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Good advice thanks. Stretching is important and I know I can't keep up this pace but I'm going to do it till I get really sore. I'm mostly crazy btw. Hope to hear from you every week. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

After the 10 sets from yesterday I rate my soreness level at a 6, one more day and I will need rest.

-Skeme-
06-12-2005, 04:12 PM
So you have nothing to say about Bruce's strength being average at best?

[ QUOTE ]
The fight lasting 20 to 25 minutes also seems virtually impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? Eyewitnesses said it lasted 25 minutes.

jakethebake
06-12-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to learn how to do this, visit here. (http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=229)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great site. Psatsoline's stuff is very good, and their forum has great advice.

Blarg
06-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Aside from Wong Jack Man himself, and whoever this William Chen figured mentioned in the linked article might be, there hasn't been any dispute about the length of the fight being just a few minutes from anyone else.

As to his strength being average at best, there's not much reason to argue the subject, as there aren't credible assertions to that effect, whereas contrarily there are many people still living who assert that he had great strength for his size, including the guy who first introduced him to weight lifting.

-Skeme-
06-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Great strength for his size? We weren't talking about "for his size," we were talking about his overall strength. Many people think he posessed some superhuman qualities, but in actuality, his strength is average.

How are you saying there are no credible assertions?

[ QUOTE ]
Based on his exercise program, it appears
he was of below-average lower body strength. According to the strength
training program Lee used during 1965 (Lee, 1989), he performed squats using
95 pounds with 10 repetitions. This would equate to an estimated 1 repetition
maximum (1RM) of 130 pounds (Wathen, 1994), which would place him below the
25th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class among adult males

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you call that? You think the author is making this stuff up?

[ QUOTE ]
Lee performed bicep curls using a weight of 80 pounds and 8 repetitions. This
would equate to an estimated 1 repetition maximum of 110 pounds and would
place him in the 100th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is your opinion that the author's claims are without merit and/or evidence.. then I guess we're at a stalemate.

bholdr
06-12-2005, 11:15 PM
okay- was a little sore today, but still managed to crank out a few sets. I'm already feeling better about my arm strength, it's supprising how a little work can wake up the 'ol muscles.

It totally FUKED up my pool game, however, and that cost me some free drinks. booooo!guys at the bar were like "what's up B? I thought you were a good player!".... k-holes.

ripdog
06-12-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like I need to lower the sets I am planning to do so I don't burn out. And if I stick with it I will get results. I have found this to be true with everything and it is the reason I made the thread. Welcome aboard ripdog it will be harder to quit the more of us there is!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good thread. I was pretty amazed at how quickly I got up to doing 100 when I hit that goal. I think you'll find that if you do too many sets per day, you won't be able to hit your goal the next day. My opinion is that 100 should be pretty easy. I'm adding 5 about every 3 days. I'll let you know when I hit 40 (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday).

Blarg
06-12-2005, 11:39 PM
I don't think the concept of strength has much meaning at all without relating it to the size of the person. Certainly it doesn't in many athletic events. In both weight-lifting and boxing, the two most related to the subject at hand, people are divided into weight classifications and judged accordingly. I don't know why you'd consider that traditional way of evaluating things of no value, but I don't.

As to a work-out routine with weights, martial artists traditionally do a great deal of high-repetition motions with either no weight at all, or just a few pounds held in the hand or strapped to the feet. Many incorporate limited weight training, but many advise against even that. Their goal is explosive, not static power, and many think pure size is actually working against their goal. There's nothing unusual about a martial artist using light weights; it's the norm. It doesn't really have much bearing on strength.

As to the curl, a 135 pound guy curling 80 pounds 8 times sofr an estimated effective maximum of 110 isn't exactly a weakling. The 100th percentile is pretty good. I have no idea why you're saying a guy in the 100th percentile who can curl an "estimated" weight of about 5/6 of his body weight is of average at best strength.

I don't think your quotes say what you think they do, and the last one actually suggests that you're quite incorrect.

-Skeme-
06-13-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your quotes say what you think they do, and the last one actually suggests that you're quite incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they do.

[ QUOTE ]
and would
place him in the 100th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that as he's in the 100th percentile, as in below 1-99th percentiles. Am I reading this wrong? That's also for his weight class, not total averages. All I'm saying is that people overexaggerate Bruce's strength.. by lots.

[ QUOTE ]
or sending individuals (who outweighed him by as much as 100 pounds in some instances) flying through the air and landing some 15 feet away as a result of a punch that Lee delivered from only one-inch away

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit. Find me one reputable source or an eyewitness that says he sent a guy flying 15 feet away from a 1 inch punch. I've seen him perform a 1 inch punch on a random guy and he fell backward onto a chair and then onto the ground. Nowhere near 15 feet.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention some of his other nifty little habits like thrusting his fingers through full cans of Coca-Cola

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that any quick martial artist could do this.

[ QUOTE ]
and sending 300 pound heavy bags slapping against the ceiling with a simple side kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen footage of him sending his huge heavy bag (I believe Bob Wall made for him as his others kept ripping) into the air, but nowhere near the cieling. And it was not at all a simple side kick. He got a huge running start from off camera.

[ QUOTE ]
As to the curl, a 135 pound guy curling 80 pounds 8 times sofr an estimated effective maximum of 110 isn't exactly a weakling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but I didn't say he's a wuss. I agree he's not a weakling, but he's defenitely not the incredible hulk.

Vince Young
06-13-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read that as he's in the 100th percentile, as in below 1-99th percentiles.

[/ QUOTE ]
It means he's in the top percent.

-Skeme-
06-13-2005, 03:03 AM
That's what I initially thought, but it makes no sense as the article's main focus is that he's average at best.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 03:52 AM
The thing is, you can't have it both ways. The way I said makes sense. A guy weighing around 130-ish pounds curling 110 pounds is not in the lowest 1% of strength for his weight. That much is really obvious, and leaves no room for interpretation. And noting that he was in that high percentile is the common way you see those things noted. There's really no wiggle room here.

Compare to the other time a percentile is used 25%. That's what's used on the other exercise noted, where a much lower level of accomplishment is noted. That lower level reflecting 25% is internally consistent. Comparing it to the higher level -- a very high level -- noted in the curls, and you've got a lower % noted for lower accomplishment and a higher percent noted for higher accomplishment.

So the percentile business makes sense independently in both cases and is all very consistent, and reliably clear. One thing for sure -- you can't have it both ways. 25% can't be logically construed as low while 100% is considered low at the same time. One or the other. I think I just went along with the standard interpretation and plain language meaning of the author.

Stuey
06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
okay- was a little sore today, but still managed to crank out a few sets. I'm already feeling better about my arm strength, it's supprising how a little work can wake up the 'ol muscles.

It totally FUKED up my pool game, however, and that cost me some free drinks. booooo!guys at the bar were like "what's up B? I thought you were a good player!".... k-holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao

I'm sore also really sore. I'm switching to ripdog's plan. One hard set per day adding more when I can do them. Could you have even raised the drink to your mouth had you won one? I would need a straw. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Skeme-
06-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Is there no response to anything other than percentiles?

Blarg
06-13-2005, 02:39 PM
I've responded, and clearly, and over the same damn issue, and any issue you named, time after time.

I don't know what more you could possibly want out of me here, but I'm beginning to suspect it's just to gainsay.

ripdog
06-13-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao

I'm sore also really sore. I'm switching to ripdog's plan. One hard set per day adding more when I can do them. Could you have even raised the drink to your mouth had you won one? I would need a straw. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking--I hit 40 today. I expect 45 by Thursday or Friday. I got to 35 and felt like I could get in a few more. Number 40 was a bitch and a half.

-Skeme-
06-13-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've responded, and clearly, and over the same damn issue, and any issue you named, time after time.

I don't know what more you could possibly want out of me here, but I'm beginning to suspect it's just to gainsay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted 4 other statements about Bruce's alleged power after I quoted yours about percentiles. You replied with 3 entire paragraphs to the percentiles. It's whatever, this conversation is going nowhere. Take it easy.

Stuey
06-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Found this it might be good after a few weeks if we get bored of the standard routine. For now I am just cranking out 1 hard set per day.

100 pushups (http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html)

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Found this it might be good after a few weeks if we get bored of the standard routine. For now I am just cranking out 1 hard set per day.

100 pushups (http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html)

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Stuey
06-18-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. For 1-week train like an animal to increase the amount of pushups you can do.

Also please post your training secrets to help others improve. We have shamed Sup bro for to long it must stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Week 1 is over.
I can do 5 more pushups.
This might not sound like much but it will add up in the coming weeks. How did everyone else do this week?

Reef
06-18-2005, 04:32 AM
I think doing anything more than 3 sets a day is counterproductive. Gotta give your muscles enough time to recover and rebuild.

Also, once you get past 100.. try 'em with 1 arm. Keep legs wide apart.

bholdr
06-18-2005, 04:42 AM
It's been a week? I've been doing them and i can now do 45, so ten more than a week ago. I was pretty sore one day.

Subfallen
06-19-2005, 02:50 AM
15 more -> 140

Stuey
06-25-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think doing anything more than 3 sets a day is counterproductive. Gotta give your muscles enough time to recover and rebuild.

Also, once you get past 100.. try 'em with 1 arm. Keep legs wide apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, I can't wait till I get to 100ish so I can try the one handers.

Stuey
06-25-2005, 05:39 AM

Week 2 is over

This week I can do 7 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 12 more than 2 weeks ago.

Great results from week one from bholdr, and subfallen your just some kind of freak! wtg guys I got to work harder to keep up.

Reef
06-25-2005, 07:00 AM
wish I could join on in with the pushup challenge, but it seriously messes with my workout scheduele whenever I have chest or tri's in.

upped my dumbell bench press by 10 this month if that's any consolation.

wonderwes
06-25-2005, 12:14 PM
If I were to buy some free weights, what would be the best aizes to get? Get 2 or 3 different sets of weights?

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were to buy some free weights, what would be the best aizes to get? Get 2 or 3 different sets of weights?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-05/0128manure.jpg

Stuey
06-25-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wish I could join on in with the pushup challenge, but it seriously messes with my workout scheduele whenever I have chest or tri's in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That more than counts in my book. I always have trouble upping my max bench press. I am just more suited for high reps so that's why I like doing them.

Could you do 1 set of pushups per week? If you are lifting I bet you would increase each week. A increase of 2 per week does not sound like much till 52 weeks pass. It would be interesting.

Stuey
06-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Why do you want attention here jake? You to cool for this idea? Or you just seen to many pushups in your boxing/army days? Quit it you are being a prick. You are getting old and fat faster than any of us I would bet. Feel free to join though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want attention here jake? You to cool for this idea? Or you just seen to many pushups in your boxing/army days? Quit it you are being a prick. You are getting old and fat faster than any of us I would bet. Feel free to join though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Attention? Too cool? What are you bitching at me for? Bitch at the guy that horned in on your push-up thread to ask a questions about free weights that's been asked 80 times in the last month.

bholdr
06-25-2005, 02:10 PM
well... I'm at about 48- not as good as i'd hoped. I pulled a muscle throwing a frisbee tuesday and took three days off, which set me back a bit.

thanks for posing the update and keeping me motivated.

climber
06-26-2005, 12:26 AM
I did one once. Then i truned all red in the face and fell to the carpet...then i realized i was fat and decided to change. I then added one aday up to about 50 and didnt do any for a long time and am back down to 20 now if I'm lucky.

Subfallen
06-27-2005, 07:33 PM
I forgot to post on Saturday.

+15 -> 155 total.

Reef
06-28-2005, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That more than counts in my book. I always have trouble upping my max bench press. I am just more suited for high reps so that's why I like doing them.

Could you do 1 set of pushups per week? If you are lifting I bet you would increase each week. A increase of 2 per week does not sound like much till 52 weeks pass. It would be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I don't really max out on the dumbell bench press. The heaviest I go is a set of 4. But my set of 4 went up ~10 pounds, so I assumed my max did to.

I think I can usually squeeze in 1 day of 3-set per week. If I increased by a couple per week I'd be pretty damn pleased. It's WAY easier to improve from say 40 to 50 than it is from 1xx to (1xx+10) IMO.

Reef
06-28-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to post on Saturday.

+15 -> 155 total.

[/ QUOTE ]

+15 in just a week? damn, that's awesome.

Are you lifting at the same time?

Stuey
07-02-2005, 04:46 AM

Week 3 is over

This week I can do 5 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 17 more than 3 weeks ago.

Subfallen that is amazing man I hope I can get there someday. But keep going you are great motivation for me to keep working hard.

I'm not sure if I am getting stronger or just getting used to pushing through the pain for a extra 4 or 5 reps. Either way I'm happy with my progress so far if I don't stop I'm sure I will continue to improve. If I live long enough I might even catch Subfallen one day. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How is everyone else doing? bholdr, hope that injury is not still nagging you that can really make this hard.

And as always I urge new guys/gals to join this little experiment regardless of your current fitness level. Remember you don't have to say how many pushups you can do just how many more you can do each week. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stuey
07-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Week 4 is over it was hard.

This week I can do 4 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 21 more than 4 weeks ago.

I think my form is getting worse I'm going to try using better form even if it means I might not improve as fast anymore.

It is amazing how painful those last 5 reps are.

Seeyah in 7 days.

imported_CaseClosed326
07-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Dude I like this thread. I am going to join right now.

Stuey
07-09-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude I like this thread. I am going to join right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it, I was starting to think nobody was reading this anymore. Good luck this week.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 03:34 PM
If you made it a challenge to see how many more french fries you could eat every week, it would be more in line with the abilities of OOT.

Stuey
07-09-2005, 04:41 PM
You were the last person I thought would say that. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

zoomOut
07-09-2005, 04:48 PM
This is a very good thread. Should girls do push ups too or does it result in a Madonna-like build?

Blarg
07-09-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your thread; far from it. It's a pretty cool idea, whether it inspires 1000 people or only one.

I'm just saying that the emphasis in OOT is more on stupid stuff and people bragging or showing what jackasses they are than about how they made a modest, unflashy goal, stuck to it, and made modest headway over a long period of time.

It was just a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get as many or more people committing to eating more french fries every week than doing more push-ups. Heck, you might even get more people committing to poking themselves in the eye than doing push-ups.

Stuey
07-09-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a very good thread. Should girls do push ups too or does it result in a Madonna-like build?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, girls should do pushups. If it results in a Madonna-like build, and that is not a improvement in their case, they can always stop doing them and return to normal. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Stuey
07-09-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
made a modest, unflashy goal, stuck to it, and made modest headway over a long period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you get it but you don't join? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You know better than most how hard this will get after 6 months or a year. You also know if you start now 6 months or a year from now you will not regret it regardless what your level of fitness was when you started.

We have shamed Sup bro for to long it must stop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Biloxi
07-09-2005, 06:05 PM
I jacked my shoulder too in high school, working out and playing tennis. I cant move it without multiple cracks and pops. But I'll still give it a try. Time to break out the Protien
If I dont increase quick, Ill just use some roids and beat you all!

Blarg
07-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, I'm joining in a different way. I did a lifetime of push-ups in my younger years, and they are not what I am most interested in now. I don't find them to be ideal strength builders, and strength is what I want to work on first.

I'm doing my own challenge. It has started with Pavel's "Naked Warrior" exercises of one-arm push-ups and one-legged squats. I've also ordered a kettlebell and that should be here on or about the 12th.

I've been working my gut and torso with my exercise wheel and calisthenics and a weighted body bar I have(18 pounder, great for twists). I've been working my upper body a bit with one-armed push-ups, and also by swinging a dumbell I have as if it were a kettlebell, and dumbbell presses and curls and rows. I bought Pavel's Royal Kettlebell Challenge DVD and book both, and am slowly integrating those exercises in. I am more interested in using kettlebells for upper body work and working on pure strength and even a little mass as a side-benefit, so have only done minimal push-up work. I find push-ups give me definition and endurance, but pretty much no size and not very much strength either.

I've been doing pistols, and really like them a hell of a lot. I've also been doing the regular one-legged squats the way I improvised them on my own long ago, too, to work the muscles from more angles.

I have never been much of a counter, to tell you the truth. I work until I'm tired, or exhausted, or can't work any more. It's always worked great for me, and kept me in close touch with what my body is up to and how it's progressing. Not that there's not value in counting, too.

So anyway, I'm working pretty much on pure strength for the legs, strength and endurance for the midsection, and mostly for strength in the upper body. Right now I'm mostly oriented toward strength and probably will be for some time, and wouldn't mind a little mass, too, though it's not a primary goal. The least of my goals is endurance at present, and I can get a lot of that out of kettlebells anyway, so push-ups, which I used to do with maniacal obsession and did more for my endurance than anything else, are at the bottom of my list except for the one-arm push-up. I actually think they're counter-productive for what I want to do right now, as I'm a hard-gainer and gain both strength and mass much more easily with low reps and heavy weight. High repetition low weight moves can even make me lose muscle, and just get really cut.

When I read this thread, I had kind of wished it was made to cover more than one exercise. Like, one-legged squats would be nice to add in there, or knee bends, or pull-ups. Something with different muscles, or upper/lower, you know. Variety.

Anyway, I'm working on my challenges too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif They're just a different challenge than this particular one.

Subfallen
07-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Only got 133 today, wasn't really feeling it. For somebody who asked, I don't train regular pushups at all during the week. However, I do 2 sets of fingertip pushups prior to every workout. No weight lifting, just these (http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=E874131F0DA36D33E222B14A84 D877A2.hydra?id=459922) movements.

Subfallen
07-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Blarg - you want to get stronger and bigger, consider this (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=86D57D377CF7A88B8269E7C05A 177D68.hydra?id=667308) it's pretty awesome.

Stuey
07-09-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I read this thread, I had kind of wished it was made to cover more than one exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I picked pushups to make it simple. The main idea is try and improve and to use each other as positive motivation. Also by posting improvements we make here we can look back a see how much we have gained. Five pushups per week is not impressive, but if I get 100 more in a year I would amaze even myself.

So everyone should feel free to pick there own goal and post their progress here each week in the hopes that it helps us all stick it out for the long haul. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So it would be great if Reef posted when he can bench 5 more lbs. Maybe Biloxi could try a exercise that is easier on his shoulder, maybe he could try to run a 4 minute mile. Anything to keep him off the juice. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif And I would like to hear how those pistols go for you, they are very hard imo.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm reading it now. That scorpion stretch looks very cool. Clever move. I like the suspended chain push-ups, too. I've thought of doing an exercise like that before since I've found standing flyes with cables incredibly good for complete chest developments, and that's a little similar, but have never seen a set-up like that before.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it's a good idea, Stuey. The important thing is to have a goal and work on it, no matter what it is.

Like I say I'm not a counter, so my updates will probably be pretty vague. Pavel's Naked Warrior concept of "grease the groove" stresses that if you want pure strength, think of strength as a skill to practice, rather than going by pure numbers of reps or raw poundage. Both the pistol and the one-armed push-up definitely require more coordination and focus than most pure lifting does, so that idea seems applicable to those exercises. He suggests doing low reps to build strength, and not training to failure, so you can be fresh enough to keep doing sets frequently throughout the week.

After that you can do harder variations of the exercises, like turning the one-armed push-up into a one-armed/one-leg push-up. Or else you can add weight, like wearing a weight vest, or holding a dumbbell or kettlebell when doing pistols. Making the increased challenge not come from more reps, if you're working purely on strength. Adding in more reps can build more muscle mass, which doesn't necessarily coincide with pure power. And endurance, which is a goal I'm putting aside for now. As someone who did martial arts for years and worked myself like mad, it's actually kind of hard to not train to failure and keep going anyway, like I used to do. But I'm not in the shape I was then or anywhere close, so I have to be patient and do something different. When I get the kettlebells and practice swings more and more, I'll gradually be working other things in.

When I did start pistols a couple weeks ago, I did find the balance harder than now. Finding just the right movement path is a little tricky, and it really is refining a skill to learn how to do it without toppling over. That was really my biggest challenge -- not how many I could do, but just doing a single one right! I'm still concentrating on my form a lot because I want to learn how to do this just right. And it's kind of a strain on the knee and lower back if you don't keep the motion really smooth. Pavel doesn't seem to be that crazy about warm-ups from what I can see, but any kind of squat is inherently a big strain on the body, and I'm a big believer in warm-ups. They've always kept me from injury while I've seen almost everyone else screw themselves up at least once in a while by not warming up enough.

Anyway, I haven't pushed my numbers, but whereas a couple weeks ago I was bumbling through the pistols with my right leg and finding normal one-legged squats doable but difficult, now I can crank out five pistols with my right leg without too much trouble, and do it again after a quick rest(while doing my left leg). It was pretty hard for me with my left leg and I still am having some balance issues with it, but now can pump out a couple of sets of 4 or 5 one legged squats on the left leg. They're "sorta" pistols, but I'm holding on to the edge of a table for balance, so I'm not officially calling them that yet. I can do the pure muscle part of it, but I'll need more strength and practice before I'm smoothly doing pistols on my left leg.

Still, I've noticed a real small mass increase already, even though pistols aren't really done for mass and I never work to exhaustion, much less failure. I never do more than five, or more than three sets. Then in a few hours I do it again.

Anyway, interesting program, and I am getting smoother at it. Very strange for an endurance/work to failure and then keep going anyway type like me to artificially limit myself. But it's working. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do once I get the technique really smooth and wired -- like adding the weight of a kettlebell and/or dumbbell!

This dude is pretty godly on one-legged pistols. He does them while holding two 88 pound kettlebells. Great link on how to do the pistols:
http://www.fullkontact.com/a_pistol.html

I'm very tempted to buy his DVD's, especially since he's a long-term martial artist, and that's really where my interests lie in building up strength and fitness anyway. Plus, he concentrates on an internal style, which is really intriguing to me.

Blarg
07-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Kettlebell supposedly being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

I also ordered one of those Captains of Crush grippers, the No. 1. I've got great hand endurance, but not all that much raw strength in them at all, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm really worthless on these.

Legs sore from the pistols.

LondonBroil
07-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Just started tonight. I managed to do zero push-ups. Will report back in 1 week.

jakethebake
07-15-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just started tonight. I managed to do zero push-ups. Will report back in 1 week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to at least double that by next week.

Stuey
07-16-2005, 03:23 AM
I also ordered some of those Captains of Crush grippers! And I am trying the pistols but I am sure I am not doing them right. I don't go down low enough, I lose my balance or I am just not strong enough yet to do them right. I plan to keep working on it.

Stuey
07-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Week 5 is over.

This week I can do 3 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 24 more than 5 weeks ago.

It is getting harder each week but I am still improving so I see no reason to complain too much.

How did this week go for everyone else?

I will be back in 7 days, I promise. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blarg
07-16-2005, 03:39 AM
It's a skill thing and strength thing combined; you have to exert strength in weird ways.

To slowly work up to them, you can try to hold on to the edge of a table, or a door frame or door knob, or I find gripping the edge of a sink good. A pole, like you see at schools, is pretty ideal, but not many people have those around the house.

Try to do them flat-footed, and work on your hamstring flexibility, if that's a problem in holding your leg out.

I'm a little shaky on them, but am able to crank out some lowish rep sets of simple one-legged squats, without holding my leg out in the air, pretty solidly on the right leg now, and can see my left leg becoming less wobbly in it at a quick pace. The extra strength is actually coming along fairly quickly, as advertised with Pavel's program -- which is basically don't go to failure, "practice" them often(which you can't do if you're exhausted or in a long recovery from going to failure), at low reps, as a skill, with high concentration, so you get better at them. I'm working into the "groove" of the movement slowly but surely. My right leg is much better tham my left.

I find it's a bit harsh on the knee and lower back without a decent warm-up. There's a LOT of pressure put on the knee, especially if you go down till your ass practically touches the ground, which is the way I'm doing them. Right now I'm fighting to get form and strength better at the same time, with a goal of being able to do 5 x 5 sets/reps with either leg with good form and no balance assist. My form is still sloppy, and I use balance help on my left leg, so I can't claim that yet. With strength and skill, I'll start to iron those problems out.

Cool on your getting the CoC gripper! I just ordered a couple more, the #2 for super-hard forced reps(since I can't even do the #1 yet) and the Trainer for warm-up reps, since the #1 is already hard enough that I have to leap into doing serious work with no warm-up. I also got their little "helper" tool (at Ironmind.com) that adds 20 lbs. or resistance to any of their grippers, so I can have something incremental instead of their 50 and 55 lb. leaps(which are kinda absurd!).

Glad you got 'em -- now let the CRUSHING begin!!!

Martin
07-16-2005, 07:01 AM
I see you guys are progessing well with the bodyweight routines. I just want to recomend Matt Fury's book as an addition to Pavel's. I dunno if it's been mentioned here as yet. Something else you guys may want to look at since it combines grip and upper body is thick rope work. You can hang the rope off a deck or a tree if you are desperate. Make sure the rope is really thick, like just under 2 inches. This fries the hands and upper body nicely. It's similar to the old martial arts grip exercise using a gi or a towel over the pullup bar.

Blarg
07-16-2005, 07:20 AM
I don't have a pull-up bar as yet, but when I get one, I'll be trying the business with draping a towel over it and pulling myself up with that.

I did just order the book Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness, which is supposedly a great book of bodyweight exercises. I've read that Furey's exercises are pretty much in there, plus others.

ripdog
07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Week 5 is over.

This week I can do 3 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 24 more than 5 weeks ago.

It is getting harder each week but I am still improving so I see no reason to complain too much.

I will be back in 7 days, I promise. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have lost some interest in adding push-ups. I'm forcing myself to do 40 a day and concentrating on doing the last 5 with very good form. I could definitely do more, I just don't feel like it.

Stuey
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have lost some interest in adding push-ups. I'm forcing myself to do 40 a day and concentrating on doing the last 5 with very good form. I could definitely do more, I just don't feel like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good chance the way your doing it is better. Less chance of injury and still improving your strength. Did you see this link (http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html) I posted earlier? It seems like a good way to vary the pushups while still improving.

Glad to hear you are doing well, helps me to stay motivated.

Blarg
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Rip, do one-arm push-ups. They're more challenging and fun, and build a lot more mass.

I'm working on those and handstand push-ups, myself. Just going up and down a little on the handstand push-ups, and doing holds in position, as I'm kind of nervous about the whole process on the one hand and, on the other -- not strong enough to go very far anyway!

You can also try some with your feet elevated on a chair or on whatever, too. And try some on your fingers! There's actually lots of variety in push-ups. When I do them, I almost never do them the normal way.

ripdog
07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Partials were a huge part of the martial arts workout that I used to attend. They were very hard. The instructors would have us hold them just off the floor for what seemed like an eternity. Maybe I'll try adding these in to my routine and see if I'm still capable of 40 reps.

Martin
07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Be careful with the one arm pushup if the shoulder isn't used to it, it can lead to dislocations and injury to the shoulder which takes a long time to heal. Just ease into the one arm pushup slowly and get used to it.

You can add weight to a regular pushup by using a backpack, sandbag or a friendly tart to sit on your shoulders /images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those of you interested in hand stand pushups check out the following bodyweight training courses
Hercules 2 (http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/HerculesII/herc2-01.htm)

The Hercules 2 starts out with pushups and works up to a handstand pushup.
And
York (http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hoffman/YorkHandBalance/yorkhb1.htm)

Part 1 of the York handbalancing course which is very interesting.

The Sandow site is very interesting to those with an interest in strength training

Blarg
07-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a strain on the shoulder. The good thing about a program of high stress but low repetitions, not done to failure, though, is that you're under stress for a very short period of time(five reps or under), and always backing off before severe strain -- barring accident, of course. Yet you can still get some volume in, because a set of five or less reps tends not to be too damaging or build up much if any lactic acid.

It's definitely something to handle with care. But it's probably much safer than bench pressing of the high rep body building routines people do. Now the handstands..and shoulder push-ups -- that's where I get a little nervous. I used to do handstands quite a bit as a kid, in my own sloppy way. But handstand push-ups, even against a wall, were never something I got very far in or even felt good about trying. I'll work up to it eventually, though. Just trying to keep smooth progress and restrain myself from overtraining Overtraining is normally my approach to everything! I just get impatient with either lack of results or my lack of willpower, and try to do more work than I should.

Just did a ton of kettlebell presses last night and I'm trying very hard not to do anymore shoulder work today. /images/graemlins/smile.gif And did pistols so deep that I strained my back a bit, but it feels a bit better today. That's an exercise that's a dangerous one if not done right!

phil_ivey_fan
07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
I went to Europe for a summer with a buddy and we did push ups b/c there wasn't an adequate gym nearby. I started around 25ish and 10 wks later could pump out about 75.

Its really fun to take a hit and then see how many push ups you can do before exhaling.

Stuey
07-23-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its really fun to take a hit and then see how many push ups you can do before exhaling.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
I could see this catching on around here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Impressive results!

Stuey
07-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Week 6 is over.

This week I can do 2 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 26 more than 6 weeks ago.

If you do pushups everyday or even every second day you will be able to do more after just one week. If you have been reading these posts and not doing pushups or some type of exercise please start doing something. You will not regret it and post your results as it helps me stick to my goal. Maybe it will help you also.

I expect good results next week as I am starting to get over a summer cold that has been dogging me.

Blarg
07-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Good going Stuey!

Been doing gripper work, pushing my kettlebell around, doing some pistols, and using the Jumpstretch bands I got in to do tons of arm exercises, some back, neck, shoulder and tricep ones, and today I even tried squats and deadlifts with them! Pretty fun, and I liked the creativity of figuring out ways to come up with some exercises on my own or duplicate standard weightlifting ones. The deadlifts felt really good, but I'm going to start with them more slowly than I want to, since it's a movement you can get injured in, and be real careful about moving up in difficulty. Gotta give my lower back time to adapt.

Stuey
07-23-2005, 03:36 AM
Good to hear you are going strong!

My grippers are still not here, soon I hope. I have been working on the pistols but I think it will take a long time to get my form to a level I am proud of. They are very hard for me. Amazing considering how many sets I needed to do in the gym to get the same level of soreness after a leg workout. You give good advice, very painful but good! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
07-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Heh, glad you like them. I like them a lot too. My form could be a lot better too, but I've just accepted that and don't feel bad about it anymore. I'll work up to good form in however long it takes, that's all. Meanwhile, I get pretty damn good thigh work-outs with them in a really short amount of time, and without even using any equipment, which is more than good enough for me.

Man, those grippers are taking a while to get to you. You'll like 'em when they come, though. Frustrating as hell, but a fun challenge. You'll probably want to get one above and one below your strength level when you can. If you've checked out the grippermania and gripboard sites, you've seen that it's a pretty common strategy to progress by using a harder gripper than you can handle, and to grind the heck out of the easier one, and use it to warm up. The one in the middle, at your true strength, isn't even used much by a lot of people!

Stuey
07-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Week 7 is over.

This week I can do 5 more pushups than last week!
That's a total of 31 more than 7 weeks ago.

I'm happy with my progress it has been hard but all that pain is behind me now. Sure there is more pain in the future but it is worth it when I look back and see how much I have gained.

My form could be better but I felt good this week and tried to push myself as far as possible. Very good chance I will not improve as much next week if I improve at all. But maybe I can squeeze a few more out next week if not I will just try to do the same number but with better form.

And please anyone and everyone regardless of current strength level join me in this torture. It is fun I promise. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is the challenge for those that did not read the whole thread or got distracted and forgot! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

It is not important how many pushups you can do. The improtant part is trying to improve each week. Forever!

Blarg
07-30-2005, 04:13 PM
My one-arm cheating push-ups(elevated) are coming along great. I've been doing imitation deadlifts by using Jumpstretch bands, and read that helps you put on muscle everywhere because the heavy loads stimulate your central nervous system, and you can find yourself stronger in other exercises too. Maybe it's true, becuase I actually have been doing various presses and working one-armed push-ups a little less this last week, but I still seem to have gotten a hair better in them. I do them in sets of five and was rattling them off pretty well on Thursday. Shoulders were real sore yesterday and are still a little sore today.

phil_ivey_fan
07-31-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Week 7 is over.

This week I can do 5 more pushups than last week!
That's a total of 31 more than 7 weeks ago.

I'm happy with my progress it has been hard but all that pain is behind me now. Sure there is more pain in the future but it is worth it when I look back and see how much I have gained.

My form could be better but I felt good this week and tried to push myself as far as possible. Very good chance I will not improve as much next week if I improve at all. But maybe I can squeeze a few more out next week if not I will just try to do the same number but with better form.

And please anyone and everyone regardless of current strength level join me in this torture. It is fun I promise. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is the challenge for those that did not read the whole thread or got distracted and forgot! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

It is not important how many pushups you can do. The improtant part is trying to improve each week. Forever!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about your results. My improvements were much faster than yours, you might be overtraining. That's not bragging, its constructive criticism. Over-training is a serious flaw in a lot of ppl's training.

Stuey
08-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Week 8 is over.

This week I can do 3 less pushups than last week.
That's a total of 28 more than 8 weeks ago.

I have been doing lots of cardio this week I might just be tired. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
I'm not worried, somedays you are just not up for it.

08-06-2005, 04:56 AM
So how many pushups can you do total now?

I would like to get in on this but am curious as to what exercises you want me to do in between these weekly counting sessions.

Stuey
08-06-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious about your results. My improvements were much faster than yours, you might be overtraining. That's not bragging, its constructive criticism. Over-training is a serious flaw in a lot of ppl's training.

[/ QUOTE ]

I welcome any advice you might have. I have been guilty of overtraining in the past.

I have lowered my total body workout since I started this pushup quest. I used to lift 3 times a week and do 45 min of cardio 5 days a week. This was my normal workout for over 2 years with brief periods of focusing on cardio if I was training for a race of some type.

I started with the pushups when I found out I would not have time to go to the gym for the next 3-4 months due to increased hours required at work.

So I am doing less than I used to, but it is all targeting the same muscle groups and I might not be giving them time to recover between workouts. I only do pushups, chinups, and pistols currently.

I am also trying to use very good form so my progress might seem slow to others but to me it seems fine. I don't pause during any of the reps. And I keep my back straight throughout. I put a roll of toilet paper under my chest and I don’t count it as a rep unless I touch it on the bottom of the rep.

I still do 3 days of cardio per week.

Blarg
08-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Cool, Stuey. Your concentrating on form is absolutely the way to do it.

I wouldn't worry about hitting a plateau or going slightly negative. Like you note, it happens. It's the norm, not the exception.

You might try some one-armed push-ups to see if you can stimulate your muscles differently. It might spark progress in your regular push-ups. It's definitely difficult, and I can see it's putting some meat on me. Also, some push-ups on your fingertips or with your feet elevated add more difficulty, and at this point maybe that would be really good for your training.

Stuey
08-06-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So how many pushups can you do total now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't state my total as I don't think it is important. I want people who can only do 5 or 10 pushups to feel comfortable joining the challenge. If they know they only have to post how many more pushups they did compared to the previous week I thought it would be less intimidating.

The idea is to try hard and stick with it for a long time.
I am struggling myself and I exercise regularly.

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to get in on this but am curious as to what exercises you want me to do in between these weekly counting sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been experimenting with different methods. I have found at lower reps you can make the best progress if you do 1 set to failure about 5 days a week. Once you reach 50 or 60 reps you need to switch to something like this program (http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html) I think.

I don't know and I am not an expert and my advice should not be taken as such. Part of the reason I started this thread was to learn. And several of the posters here have made very good suggestions.

I'm going to keep trying different things until I find what works best for me and it would be great if you joined in on the torture. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just try hard for a week and report your results here.

Stuey
08-06-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, Stuey. Your concentrating on form is absolutely the way to do it.

I wouldn't worry about hitting a plateau or going slightly negative. Like you note, it happens. It's the norm, not the exception.

You might try some one-armed push-ups to see if you can stimulate your muscles differently. It might spark progress in your regular push-ups. It's definitely difficult, and I can see it's putting some meat on me. Also, some push-ups on your fingertips or with your feet elevated add more difficulty, and at this point maybe that would be really good for your training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points I will try more one handers but I really hate them. rofl They really hurt.

I have also been doing the grippers and will be posting in the other thread tomorrow, but now I need to get some sleep!

Thanks for the support it really does make it harder to quit knowing someone else is trying hard also.

Stuey
08-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Week 9 is over.

This week I can do 2 more pushups than last week.
That's a total of 30 more than 9 weeks ago.

I have been slacking, don't really have a excuse for it either. Only did my pushup training 2 times this week and it was not very intense. Trying to refocus hope next week is better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope everyone else had a good week.

Bill Murphy
08-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Two times a week is actually the secret. Do as many as you can on Monday, then add 1 on Thursday. Repeat ad infinitum. All the "madman" stuff works great at first but then yer a husk after a month.

Give ya'll a freebie here. Do as many situps as you can(prefrerably on a semi-inflated ball, or something else under yer hips, a foot or so off the ground), then immediately do as many pushups as you can, then immediately do as many deep knee bends as you can(butt to heels), then immediately get into a back neck bridge and hold it as long as can(try to get as close to your forehead as poss.; don't stay on the crown of your head, and you'll want to do it on a pillow or something).

Do this first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, in barefeet and shorts. Beauty is ya got no excuses when you're traveling, at Gramma's, whatever. Also acts as insta-hangover cure. When not hung it'll ya get extra sharp and wokeup. Warning: When I first did the deep knee bends I couldn't walk right for about ten days. My neck & traps are way bigger now than back in the shrug and neck machine days.

Takes about 30 min or so, and you'll never need to do any extra cardio. Try to get to sleep at the same time every night, and get at least 7 hours(or whatever your 'natural' amount is). Cut the carbs and mix in the spinach & broccoli. Water instead of soda, sportsdrinks, or juice. No beer- OK, like THAT'S gonna happen. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chill for two days then repeat, adding a rep to everything. Trust me, I don't know much about much, but this I do. As I crawl towards my arthritic 40's, among the many things I'd change w/a mulligan is starting a program like this at about age 12 and sticking w/it forever. Fvck the benching and the Nautilus, the protein powders and creatine, etc, etc.

"Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then..." /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
08-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Sometimes a week off is a good idea, or a real slack week. Still, you progressed, and that's cool. Getting better or stronger is usually easiest at first.

I think you start to lose a lot of the value of an exercise like push-ups when you just do them endlessly. Endurance is okay, but push-ups are more in their glory phase when they're harder for you, and it's much more about strength.

Now that you can do a bunch of them, I think you'd be better off by changing your goal. You've built up some strength with which to do tougher push-ups. I'd choose push-ups with my feet elevated(chair, stair, coffee table, whatever) or one-armed push-ups. They're a lot harder to do than regular push-ups, and you could still be in for some substantial strength gains by doing those. You'd probably gain more mass, too, as endurance events tend to strip away a lot of muscle and only leave you with highly efficient thinner ones. At this point your regular push-ups have probably lost most of their ability to put mass on you or even gone backwards in their ability to do so, and lost a lot of their ability to give you strength gains, too.

Anyway, that's just my take on it.

zoomOut
08-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I can do 14. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stuey
08-13-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give ya'll a freebie here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips I am going to try and use the advice.

[ QUOTE ]
All the "madman" stuff works great at first but then yer a husk after a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me to a letter.

[ QUOTE ]
starting a program like this at about age 12 and sticking w/it forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consistency is what I need to remember the most I think.
Thanks for taking the time to post all that it was very useful. And reminded me of the main goal here. Forever.

Stuey
08-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Good advice as always but I'm more interested to hear how you have been doing this week. Still doing the pistols and one handers? You were making crazy good gains with the gripper I imagine the same is true regarding the resistance training.

Stuey
08-13-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can do 14. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's plenty.

Please do some more a few days this week and tell me next week how many more you can do. I will try to do the same. Deal? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
08-13-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm mixing in the pistols with deadlifts, and still doing the one-armed push-ups. I still do them all in sets of five, and even less than five if five will be a failed rep. I keep doing sets until each rep starts to become ridiculously hard. Sometimes that means lots of sets of five and then a sudden drop-off in strength, sometimes it means I'm quickly doing many more sets of 4's and 3's instead.

But, like I originally said, I don't count, so I couldn't say for sure on a numerical basis how I'm doing.

That said, my legs are still sore from squats two days ago, my low back is sore from deadlifts, and my shoulders are over my one-armed push-ups of a couple days back. I do a funny flip flop of feeling much weaker some days than others, but my last OAP routine was very strong, and I can tell I'm getting stronger on them. I'm starting to get a somewhat noticeable(to me anyway) separation in my chest muscles, the upper from the middle, and I think I'm putting some meat on my traps. My shoulders are definitely bigger, too. My legs are not advancing as quickly because I'm doing a lot of deadlifts on some of what used to be my squat days.

On the grippers, I'm doing okay in my work-outs, but I haven't closed the #2 yet and probably won't for a while. I just closed the #1 on about the beginning of the month, so that's fine. Getting the #2 to 1/8 of an inch doesn't mean I will close it yet for a long time. Yesterday I did a brutal amount of volume and now my hand feels really sore.

I do notice my hands are getting bigger and thicker already, which is kind of cool in a way. There's getting to be more meat on the outside of the hand by my pinkie.

My 16 kg. kettlebell, I haven't been getting all that much use out of, as the deadlifts have been killing my low back, so I don't want to use it for swings, and the one-arm push-ups are making it feel way too easy for presses. I use it mostly for tricep work now, standing and seated French presses, I think they call them.

And I'm eating like a hog to try to put on mass. Even got some protein powder and creatine and take both regularly. It seems I'm active enough that I'm not turning it all into fat.

Things are coming along well. I just wish my low back wasn't so sore. I probably have a lot more enthusiasm than brains when it comes to deadlifts. I'd better start thinking with my brain instead of my muscles or my ego.

Stuey
08-20-2005, 02:37 AM
I am this pathetic (http://thatvideosite.com/view/77.html) yet knowing this does not make me want to quit! scary /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Week 10 is over.

This week I can do 1 more pushup than last week. Probably due to cheating with bad form on the last 5 but what the hay it friken hurt like hell so I'm counting them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
That's a total of 31 more than 10 weeks ago.

How did everyone else do this week?

touchfaith
08-20-2005, 02:39 AM
This thread still isn't about bras??

argh

Stuey
08-20-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But, like I originally said, I don't count, so I couldn't say for sure on a numerical basis how I'm doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah no need to count just good to hear you are still working hard. And it's also good to know someone would notice if I quit. I'm not close to quitting yet but I am sure the day will come. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Careful with those deadlifts though you won't be happy if you hurt your back. I think 5 sets of 5 twice a week is lots. How many sets do you think you are doing a week? Do you have a mirror you could do them in front of so you can check your form? I do mine at the gym and a mirror in front and to the side really helps.

Stuey
08-20-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread still isn't about bras??

argh

[/ QUOTE ]

A hijack of this nature would not be frowned upon. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blarg
08-20-2005, 02:57 AM
My low back felt really screwed for more than a week, so I didn't do any deadlifts, just one-legged squats. Doing nicely on those, though.

I was doing the Russian Bear routine from PTP -- lots and lots of sets, but for low reps, combined with lots of eating. Along with the one legged squats, they were working nicely, but I guess I just went overboard a bit so now I'm cooling down and healing.

Believe it or not, days later, my side got super-wrenched doing grippers. I was tensed so much I'm wondering if I got some kind of weird hernia on my right side. It feels very sore under the rib cage, for I guess a week or something. I'm a little nervous about it; hope it just goes away and is just a minor strain. Oh well.

Between that and the low back thing from deadlifts, I've really slowed down. I only did two hard work-outs this week, very carefully and nervously.

I just do my deads at home, no mirror. I hope I'm getting the form okay; I try hard to concentrate on it. Messing up my back taught me to not push it too nutty hard; I think getting the 200 lb. stretchbands just got too tempting, and I'll be more careful next time.

Good to hear you're still plugging away! That's much more important than whether you add or lose a rep here and there.

Stuey
08-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Week 11 is over.

This week I don't know how many pushups I can do. I have not done any all week! No excuses though I just got lazy. I'm going to try and get back on track this week. This is one reason I made this thread as it is really hard to admit how lazy I have been and impossible to ignore it.

Blarg
08-27-2005, 09:14 PM
You're supposed to take a week off every so often anyway.

Stuey
09-10-2005, 04:45 PM
I have lost my way. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have been doing lots of cardio but I got lazy with the pushups. I'm going to start again today! I hope.

Edit: I did them!

I can do 26 more pushups than I could 13 weeks ago.
This suks as at one point I was up to 31 more than I could do at the start.
Oh well just when you thought you would not have to read this every week I'm back baby! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seeyahs next week.

Martin
09-15-2005, 03:41 AM
Stuey don't give up. Throw some variety into the mix maybe isometrics on days when you don't feel like pushups or don't have the time.

Here is an a pdf document Link (http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/combat%20hard.pdf) that is geared to training for combat, it has some interesting exercises with a keg. Now if I could just get a dammed keg it would be great.

Blarg
09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah, the obsession with push-ups maybe went a little too far anyway. There are many other things you can do; the important thing is that you commit to doing something that's hard.

I got a new adjustable kettlebell myself, that goes up to 70 lbs(two kilos), and am changing my work-out for a while to play with it in different style squats and presses, and am also doing bent-over rows with it. I really love the thing. I cycle in and out of concentrating on squats and on deadlifts, and now I'm doing more deadlifts for a while.

I'm sure my ability to do push-ups will go down for a bit, but overall I'm hitting some new angles and it should help the push-up total too, eventually. Laying off the deadlifts for a while to concentrate on pistols, my body rebuilt itself and now I can fairly easily deadlift the two 200 lb. stretchbands that were extremely hard for me when I was hot and heavy into deadlifting.

Change every so often is good.

Keep it up Stuey! Don't make it push-ups or nothing. Make it always something, and it doesn't have to be push-ups. The important thing is to have a tough goal and not stop working toward it, not keep the same goal forever. There's nothing inherently more righteous about push-ups than anything else. It's having the balls to keep working at hard physical goals that's righteous. If you get sick of push-ups, keep plugging, just do it on something else.

jakethebake
10-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Where are you on this push-up thing, Stuey?

How are the kettlebells going, Blarg? Still like them?

Blarg
10-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Yup, still at them. Trying to do more exercises with the 70 lb one instead of the 53 lb one.

Stuey
10-28-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where are you on this push-up thing, Stuey?

How are the kettlebells going, Blarg? Still like them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth is I pretty much quit when I stopped posting in this thread. I got dumb excuses for the reasons and I'm not proud of it at all. The reason I started this was I knew I had to stop going to the gym as work got really busy and I knew I had 3 or 4 months of hell coming. I have not had a day off work in over 4 months. Good thing I don't work hard! lol

Anyways dumb excuses as I could have done the pushups. Pretty much I'm burned out on pushup and at work. My busy season is pretty much over though so no more excuses to use. It really is a lame reason as I normally just get up earlier and go to the gym when I have to work. It was more of a mental thing I kind of gave myself permission to be lazy. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I hate the truth.

I did maintain my cardio though as I enjoy that more. I found as I increased the pushup reps I really started to dread doing them. When I get near 75 it really becomes more about how much pain I feel like inflicting on myself that day!

I think I went about it wrong as Blarg tried to tell me several times. I'm going to try it again. This time I think I will force myself to mix in more variety and only do high reps maybe once a week.

It is silly as I also started this to try and learn the proper training approach to reach this type of high rep goal and I ended up training the same way I always do. Balls to the wall till I either get hurt, over train, or plateau and quit out of frustration. I will try again at least now I'm well rested. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I need to be able to do at least 100 someday!

Thx for the bump jake.

Dominic
10-28-2005, 02:57 PM
i can 31....and that's with no excerise in the last 2 years - thanks to the Topic We Do Not Discuss on OOT....

Blarg
10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Remember you have to keep up with your push-ups if you want to appear in Dominic's pornos.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I can do 100+ if it means I get into Dom's movies.