PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 - AK soooooted

Yeti
06-11-2005, 02:53 PM
5 or 6 handed. PL. I have $2k, villain has $2k. Villain is a complete unknown, no read, no numbers, he's just sat.

Loose goose (LG) makes it $70 preflop, Villain calls, I make it $300 total, both call.

AQ9r
LG pushes $320, Villain calls, Hero calls.

K
Villain bets $400, Hero pushes $1k more.

Basically the question is whether to raise the flop or not, but I thought I'd throw in the rest of the hand as well.

gol4pro
06-11-2005, 03:31 PM
I like your play a lot here. You're letting LG donkbet himself into his own trap, meaning you're going to take a lot of money off him. LG may have AQ, but that doesn't matter after you improve on the turn. Set of 9's is possible I guess, but I can't see him playing it that way.

Villian's call on the flop worries me. It could be JT... as that's the only draw out there. A9/AT/AJ all seem reasonable as well.

Looks like LG had very little, and Villian either had JT or a lesser 2 pair and bet out once he sensed weakness from LG.

ObnxNole
06-11-2005, 09:39 PM
This is a pretty tough hand Yeti. I like a raise on the flop for a couple of reasons.
1.) You need to define the villian's hand for reference on future streets.
2.) You have top pair nut kicker which is a very good hand in reraised pot. $Get some money$ in there.

However, by doing this you're comitting your stack. If you are called on the flop I would definitely slow down on the turn if you do not improve. I already know the results but I think you definitely misplayed the hand by not raising the flop.

Obnxnole

soah
06-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Raising the flop would be all-in. Gaining more knowledge of your opponent's hand is always nice, but it's not terribly useful if you have no money left.

BluffTHIS!
06-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Raise the flop, and if villain is slowplaying well that's the breaks. Since he just called he could well have any A or a pair and you can't let him make two pair or a straight on the cheap on the turn, but fail to collect more if he would also fold the turn if you bet and he doesn't improve. By just calling, you are allowing him, assuming he thinks you might just call, to get better odds on a straight draw with JT even though not getting correct odds or implied odds assuming you would fold to a bet if it hits.

Blackjack
06-11-2005, 11:20 PM
999 would def. just call that flop all-in. Same with AQ.

AJ or AT would probably raise there to protect they're hand.

I do think this was well played though. Just calling the flop bet lets you decide whether to commit the rest of your stack if a QJT falls.

KaneKungFu123
06-12-2005, 12:02 PM
i like your line. [ QUOTE ]
5 or 6 handed. PL. I have $2k, villain has $2k. Villain is a complete unknown, no read, no numbers, he's just sat.

Loose goose (LG) makes it $70 preflop, Villain calls, I make it $300 total, both call.

AQ9r
LG pushes $320, Villain calls, Hero calls.

K
Villain bets $400, Hero pushes $1k more.

Basically the question is whether to raise the flop or not, but I thought I'd throw in the rest of the hand as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti
06-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies.

LG had AQ. Unknown had JT. River blank.

Bah.

Prevaricator
06-12-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty tough hand Yeti. I like a raise on the flop for a couple of reasons.
1.) You need to define the villian's hand for reference on future streets.
2.) You have top pair nut kicker which is a very good hand in reraised pot. $Get some money$ in there.

However, by doing this you're comitting your stack. If you are called on the flop I would definitely slow down on the turn if you do not improve. I already know the results but I think you definitely misplayed the hand by not raising the flop.

Obnxnole

[/ QUOTE ]

People always say raise to define your hand, whereas in reality, a raise here is not to do that, but rather just to avoid complexities and reverse implied odds that come from seeing more cards with a hand that can't improve greatly in value.