PDA

View Full Version : SUVs and Terrorism

andyfox
01-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Ariana Huffington is behind some commercials that will air this weekend claiming that those who drive SUVs are supporting terrorism.

I'm not sure of the exact argument, but I think it's similar to Bill Maher's in his book, "When You Drive Alone, You Drive with Osama" (or whatever it's entitled): driving fuel-inefficient vehicles means more imported oil; more imported oil means more dependent on foreign oil sources; some governments that supply us the oil give aid and comfort to terrorists.

Huffington has sold her SUV and now drives a hybrid. I understand that the local CBS and NBC affiliates here in L.A. will air the ads this weekend, but that ABC has refused.

What do you think: are we immoral if we drive an SUV?

Munga30
01-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Eliminating SUV's would barely impact our oil demand. Changing fundamental driving habits, on the other hand, would have huge effects.

What's the point of having a hybrid, from the perspective of foreign oil consumption, if you use it too much?

Glenn
01-09-2003, 05:38 PM
I swear yesterday I caught the tail end of a CNN report where they were talking about commercials like this and one of the commercials said "What would Jesus drive?" on the screen. I hope it was just a hallucination--did anyone else see this?

I think SUV's are stupid because all of the soccer moms around here think they can plow through the ice and snow at 50 mph and will end up killing everyone. However, people who aren't soccer moms should be able to drive anything they want. With the money they spend on those commercials, they could send hundreds of poor kids to college, feed thousands in Africa, or buy a ton of hookers and cocaine. I think they made the wrong choice.

Ray Zee
01-09-2003, 08:57 PM
that means all oil suppling places are terroist . so i think we need to bomb texas and alaska then. people are such idiots that i want to puke on their shoes.

IrishHand
01-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Please forwarn me before you bomb Texas so I can hop down to Mexico for the day.
Thanks,
Irish

Glenn
01-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Shi*. It wasn't a hallucination. Reality sucks /forums/images/icons/mad.gif .

http://www.whatwouldjesusdrive.org/publicity/

Ray Zee
01-10-2003, 12:34 AM
you go down there, they might not let you back in here, irish. then you might have to get andy to smuggle you in to work for him. sorry i couldnt resist that one andy.

IrishHand
01-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Work? When they bomb Texas, I'm going to build me a ranch. Grow me some carrots and raise pigs. Forsake motor vehicles and electricity and running water and then I'll be sure that I'm not supporting terrorism. That's the pure life in today's day and age.