PDA

View Full Version : did I play this correctly

Mikey
01-09-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm playing 1-5 at Harrah's and 4th Street is dealt, a man with a 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif bets out $5, I put him on the flush draw, i have a split pair of Jacks with a Queen on board and a 4 in the hole.

After he bet out $5 I raised him $5 and he called, on the turn fell another heart for him and I caught a blank, he lead out $5 and I folded.

Is it correct to isolate a player on a flush draw with a pair of Jacks if your Queens and 4's are still alive on 4th Street or is it best to give it up because he could possibly pair his Ace which is another 3 cards he can catch.

Looking at it now, I think it's correct that even though I knew he was on a flush draw I should have mucked my Jacks regardless if my Queen and 4 were alive. I also held only one heart which was the 4 in the hole.

What is the play?

DoctorK
01-09-2003, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't put him on a flush draw, I would bet he paired his Ace. If he had a flush draw, and the pot was only $2, he'd be waaaaaaay wrong to overbet the pot like that. I would put him on at least a pair of Aces, and his overbetting the pot is an attempt to drive you out.

But either way, ask yourself if your hand justifies putting $5 into a $7 pot. How about $10 into a $7 pot?

If you had a little better knowledge of your opponent, you'd know exactly which kinds of hands he'd bet like that.

imported_jdal
01-09-2003, 04:54 PM
My sense is that he wanted to make you think he made the flush on 5th st, but really didn't. I would of stayed in the hand and see if he catches another /forums/images/icons/heart.gif on 6th st,and then fold- unless you improved your hand.

with a high split pair, I would have bet more agressively from the beginning.

Louie Landale
01-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Even if he DOES have the flush draw he's got a hand that will beat you most of the time; by virtue of his over-card. Its worse if he's got the Kh in the hole. If he's got Aces you have an easy fold.

You are definately an underdog to win. Whether you should "chase" is a function of how big the pot is.

- Louie

PS Lets not confuse the notions of "Current highest ranking hand" with "Hand most likely to win". Or put another way, "Best Hand right now" with "Best Hand".

Scott V
01-09-2003, 07:50 PM
I agree with the others, in 1-5 it is more likely he had a pair of aces. Maybe a call is in order, but not a raise.

patrick dicaprio
01-09-2003, 08:49 PM
whether he has aces or a flush or even a flush draw with an overcard you are in tough shape. you are a big dog vs a flush or aces and a small dog if he has a draw plus an overcard. so the play is easy.

Pat